Thread: Bobbybee's Camping Site, Mere Farm, Burton Fleming, nr Bridlington.

My Unit
    Talbot Express 'Avalon' nearly a classic-a year to
    Thanks

Default Bobbybee's Camping Site, Mere Farm, Burton Fleming, nr Bridlington.

I spent 3 nights on this site and really enjoyed the experience. It's a very quirky site with geese, ducks, hens, turkeys and rabbits wandering around as well as Robert's [the owner] black labrador, George and Bess, a working labrador. Dogs are allowed to wander around untethered so long as you clean up after them and they are friendly and well behaved. Bracken thought he was in heaven although was scared of the turkey after being chased by it!! There is even a shetland pony tethered on a long rope and guinea pigs in an enclosed area.

Plenty of space on the site for camper vans, tourers and tents and no regimented pitches although no hard standings; you can pitch up where you like. There are electric hook ups but they're rather ad hoc with cables all over the place! However I had no problems with them and the staff sort them out for you. There is a water standpipe although I'd filled my tank so didn't need to use it. I didn't notice a chemical disposal or waste water place but, to be honest I didn't need to use them so didn't ask.

Loos and showers were very clean and well maintained - the ladies had been constructed in a old silo!!

Robert does breakfasts from 9-10.30 at a very reasonable cost and on bank holidays runs a bar in the evening -a pint of local bitter was £2.50. He is a friendly chap but doesn't suffer fools gladly. If there are groups who are too noisy after 11pm he will ask them to quieten down and if they don't he will insist they leave - there and then! He makes this clear when you arrive so there are no surprises!! He's also very hot on recycling and there are bins for all types of waste all over the site.

There is ongoing development - flower beds are being placed all over the site and I think it will be really pretty later this year. The daffs and other spring bulbs added lots of colour. There are areas for children to play; a rope swing and an old dinghy and of course, the animals which the children who were there appeared to enjoy. An old fashioned red telephone box holds the library -plenty of books to borrow and exchange or buy for £1

Burton Fleming is a small village with a general store/Post office, farm shop and pub. Opposite the entrance to the site is a duck pond and local church.

Whitby, Scarborough, Filey and Bridlington are all within easy reach and there are some lovely drives over the moors.

This isn't a place for those who like the 'all singing, all dancing' type of site with manicured areas. It appears higgledy piggledy, but for me, it adds to the character of the place. It was certainly restful although the cockerals woke at about 5 and let the world know but I went back to sleep very quickly.

It cost £22.50 per night over the bank holiday but is cheaper at other times. Robert doesn't ask for a deposit but likes to be paid up front. For groups of younger folk he insists on a refundable bond of £100 to encourage acceptable behaviour. Many other sites won't accept them.

Sorry if this is rather long or in the wrong place.[Mods. please move if it is] but I really wanted to try and get a good description of the site as it is so quirky and, in my opinion, a great place to visit. I shall certainly go back later this year.

Di.

My Unit
    Nu Venture Rio
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,093 Posts

Di - Thanks for a lovely write up, it sounds an excellent place to visit. We are with you on non-regimented but well maintained sites - they are the best! Will put Mere Farm on our growing 'to do' list :so happy:
    Mary