Thread: Towbar

My Unit
    ronnie romini
    Thanks

Default Towbar

Two days to the towbar fitting then maybe my ornamental caravan may get off the drive for a test drive ,omg I'm slightly nervous because I have never towed before .I just hope i can get it out of the drive entance because its a bit tight think we will have to pull it out onto the road to attatch it but watch this space i maybe advertising spares in the near future just got a feeling it could be rolling down the hill , wish me luck i just may need it lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to josie For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 736 Posts

Welcome to the site

Good luck for a successful launch

My Unit
    ronnie romini
    Thanks

Default Towbar

Thankyou the world will be our oyster hope to see you on our travels

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,384 Posts

You'll be just fine!

I white knuckled it for all of a quarter of a mile before I realised... it's actually easy-peasy. These small lightweight caravans are a joy to tow. I had never towed anything in my life before I started towing a caravan.

Just make sure you go out a bit to the right before turning a left hand corner, and get used to the additional braking distance/weight of the tow (that bit takes all of five minutes) - and you will be okay!

I'm pretty sure the Romini isn't that wide, so look at the width of your car, and then the width of your caravan. If they are the same width, whatever your car can drive through, so can your caravan. If the car fits through the drive entrance, so will your caravan, just take it slowly and if possible, have someone to watch you out.

My Unit
    ronnie romini
    Thanks

Red face Towbar

I hope your right lol I'm going for a test drive first just local where I know the roads, cheers .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to josie For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Josie,
    Don't forget your "ornemental" caravan needs a service. Tyres especially deteriorate just standing - if they are older than 5 years old they MUST be replaced

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Unfortunately some smaller tyre retailers may fit old stock tyres so check the date after they are fitted. The same applies with the dating of the rubber gas pipes. I bought some off ebay already 2 years old - so I only get 3 years use of it.

Happy and safe caravanning BTW I recall towing my first van - the most off-putting thing the rattle of the tow-hitch first time that I braked hard. After that a doddle.

Jon
    I hate growing old - my mind thinks that I am still young but at times my body lets me down

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    ronnie romini
    Thanks

Default Towbar

Thanks Jon ,only had the van a month and the seller has just had it serviced and had new tyres on, my mum towed it home for me we did a 320 mile trip and it towed well .thankyou for the advice its welcomed as we are newbies to the caravaning world and everyones wisdom is appreciated cheers .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to josie For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

That is good to know Josie.
    I suspect a lot of caravan and motorhome horror stories are down to lack of servicing - it puts people off a great leisure activity and gives us all a collective bad name.
    Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.
    Jon
    I hate growing old - my mind thinks that I am still young but at times my body lets me down

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,811 Posts

Hi Josie, I have had a Romini for about ten years now.
    Reading the posts above I am a little concerned about some comments.
    Firstly, I have owned and towed over ten caravans and regardless of size they have ALL been wider than my towing vehicle. Having to add width to my external rear view mirrors is sufficient proof. Although the external door mirrors on a modern car may often be a guide to whether gate-ways etc will allow the 'van to pass through IN A STRAIGHT LINE.
    Another thing which concerned me:- that is the mention of a "rattle" from the tow-ball on braking. Such a noise suggests a problem to me and I would not accept that as normal.
    Jim
    Last edited by Twolitre; 14-08-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Typos
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,384 Posts

I usually pull over somewhere if I can after about a mile and just check that all is ok... especially the tyres and brakes.

I rarely let anyone help me with the actual hitching up as I prefer to do it myself so that I know it is all done. Or I'm wondering if I did actually connect up the breakaway cable or let the handbrake off, etc! Although it's good to find someone who can tell you your lights are all working!

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 976 Posts

Glad you've got a supportive - caravanning - mum!

Just go out there and do it Josie, the more practice you get maneouvring the unit the easier it becomes so it's better to get out as often as you can!

Two little bits of advice from a fellow 'tin tenter', When towing I always allow a really good distance between me and the vehicle in front, more than the official 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule'. Ensures I'm unlikely to have to do any really sharp braking. Also, if i want to overtake when towing I glance over my right shoulder as well as using my mirrors, to ensure there's nothing in my 'blind spot'. Actually I do that most of the time anyway, out of habit, as it's something I was taught when learning to ride a motorbike.

If you know of a bit of private or disused land where you can go and practice towing/maneouvring/turning/reversing that's really helpful, (or an industrial estate on a Sunday) as I found it really difficult to master maneouvring techniques when I knew there were people watching me!

The first caravan I had when I was on my own had a motor mover which was a great help, especially moving around in a small space. However my current 'van hasn't got one fitted. I thought, goodness me, how will I cope! But actually it forces you to learn to move the 'van using the car. Being a show-off now, but at the last two outings I've been on, caravanners on the next pitch have said 'Cor, that was a neat bit of reversing!' What a great feeling it is to get such compliments!
    Good luck Josie!
    Cynthia.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    ronnie romini
    Thanks

Cool Towbar

Thankyou everyone for your support and advise it has all been taken on board I am the original driving Miss Daisey lol so things will be taken slowly to start with , towbar day tomorrow so not sure if we will get chance to test drive yet as we are on our travels to scotland this week no Ronnie Romini tho, as it was previously booked before the van.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to josie For This Useful Post: