Thread: Best motorhome?

Thanks

Default Best motorhome?

Hi all. I would love a big motorhome but am terrified of driving one so need something small. Would love to know which motorhome others have opted for due to be worried about driving a big vehicle. I do like the Nu venture but have yet to find somewhere I can go close to me to see one in the flesh. I also like the peugeot boxers or at least I think I do. My opinion could change once I see one in the flesh. Also a question on seat belts. Id ideally like 3 belted seats but I've noticed quite a lot only have 2. Can u just have a seat let fitted to seats In back?

My Unit
    Nu Venture Rio
    Thanks

Hi I have a Nu Venture Nu Rio which I love, as it is based on the Citroen Dispatch it is just like driving a car, try not to forget I am in a motorhome!
    I did have MH built on Citroen Relay (basically same as Peugeot and Fiat) but as I am short I struggled with the handbrake when holding clutch in for Hill starts. I was very worried it would 'slip back' and hit the vehicle behind which would be stopped 'right up the backend'
    Mine has the Pullman seating arrangement which means that there is a seat belt on the forward facing rear seat, so 3 seat belts.
    I have everything I want, it is 5.8m long (18ft) so a little bit longer than a normal parking space, but I am lucky I also have a car.
    I know some people on this forum have the 'Surf' which is a little shorter and use as their everyday vehicle.
    I would certainly recommend you look at these along with Romahome etc.
    Where are you based? I am in Wiltshire if near you are welcome to look, alternatively quite a lot of us are going to the Autumn rally at Devizes and if you could get to come and visit that there would be a good selection of vans to see and speak to the owners, we are all friendly!
    Good luck in your search
    Gill

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 812 Posts

I like my 'Home Car' (below).... the Belgian company that made them is now defunct so there won't be any more, I just wanted to make a point or two about manoeuvring these bigger vehicles. I drove minibuses for many years with nary a prang, but I've 'dinged' the rear corners of my van several times now. The short wheelbase makes for an excellent turning circle, but as you turn, the overhang beyond the rear wheel means that the rear corners swing through an arc of their own and can catch things that in the normal way would not present a hazard. A vehicle with its wheels sited 'in the corners' would likely have a bigger turning circle but would be less prone to this sort of accident. Furthermore, you'll note the tow hitch ... I have a cradle than mounts on that to carry a scooter, the overhang accentuates and amplifies the up and down motion of the rear suspension which means that a) it gets bounced around more than it would with a short overhang and b) the tow hitch is loaded more severely in consequence.

Whatever vehicle you get eventually, if you are concerned about manoeuvring mishaps, a wide-angle camera helps a lot ... I've had no 'dings' since I fitted it. You need to become skilled at using your door mirrors too ... if backing is a bit of a challenge to you, get some advice from someone who is good at it. I spent a half hour with my son when he was 17 doing just that and he tells me that it is one of the most useful things he was ever taught.

van.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeroch For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,885 Posts

Mike- do you find that having a scooter on the back affects the handling? Just wondering, as I have recently bought a small 105kg monkey bike and wondering about sticking it on the back.

Clarina- what you and everyone needs is the smallest camper for driving around, and the biggest one when on site. Stupid logic of course but bear these things in mind:
    you need space to make the bed if it doesn't have a permanent one.

you need to get dressed / undressed inside the vehicle when the bed is made up, I can't see these ones where the bed takes all the space being practical.

the lounge cushions need to be firm to sit on for a long time, whereas the bed mattress needs to be sufficiently soft to sleep on. These are not necessarily compatible - we have just rejected the idea of getting a particular motorhome because the lounge seating would be too hard to sleep on.

Consider the fresh water tank size - if you like staying on camp sites it doesn't matter if you have a small tank, but we prefer to stop in picturesque (is that a word?) places rather than pay a high price at a camp site. Therefore we want a 100 litre fresh water tank which lasts two weeks. Its easier in the UK to find public toilets to empty the loo than it is to find a tap to refill the water tank.

We (or rather, I, as the driver) found it rather stressful driving a coachbuilt round Devon and Cornwall last week. I am now looking round at panel vans - the Fiat Ducato conversions seem to me to have the advantage over Peugeot and Citroen and Ford. The Fiat doesn't need AdBlue to achieve the Euro6 compliance. Adding AdBlue is just another level of 'stuff that can go wrong' and if it isn't necessary, why have it? This can of course rule out some makes of panel vans but as a sweeping generalisation 'they are all the same' so you will be able to find a Fiat that suits you. Seemingly 'all' the UK manufacturers make panel vans 'the same' and all European converters make theirs 'all the same'.

Looking around recently I have concluded that if you are looking at new models, now is a good time to buy a 2017 model. Some dealers are giving discounts in 'Autumn sales' such as only charging the base price for a model which includes a lot of extras. On top of that you are looking forward to price increases of between 5% and 10% for next year's models. I have had only two quotes for my part exchange and they vary by £5000. I can either get this year's model, or next year's with enhanced features, for the same cost of changing. It seems a no-brainer to me that I should get next year's model from the dealer that will give me £5000 more than the dealer with the 2017 model. So look around a lot.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 812 Posts

Default Scooter on Back

My 108cc Honda Vision weighs about 100kg, apart from being slightly concerned about how it jiggles and wobbles (as seen through the rear camera) which is something I'm looking to address possibly using a couple of those twin-pad vacuum jobs they use for lifting glass, I'm pretty much unaware of it. My van is smaller than yours and I suspect your rear subframe is more substantial. I wouldn't expect you to have any problems whatsoever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeroch For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 722 Posts

We started with an Autosleeper Duetto which my husband drove.
    Duetto.jpg

Then when I had to take over the driving we bought a Romahome Outlook which was very easy to drive and manoeuvre.

imagesOutlook.jpg

Then we started camping every alternate week on sites without any facilities and needed better shower and loo so we bought a Romahome Dimension and I got used to driving it very quickly. But over time I started to find it hard to organise things when on site, eg I found it was a faff making up the beds and we kept treading on each others toes. But it was a good van.
    R30.jpg

Then we decided we needed a larger van and as my confidence had grown we went for a Eldiss Majestic which gave us a much more comfortable van.
    As it was newer too it is far easier to drive. Handrake assist, computer, more 12v sockets, larger loo and cassette with wheels etc. etc.

Eldiss majestic.jpg
    I now realise that whatever van I got, I very quickly found it easy to drive and don't think about it after a drive or two. For me size is influenced by the type of camping you want to do. A small panel van is easier if you are touring and moving around but the larger one is fine now that we tend to just drive from A - B and remain on site.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,885 Posts

That is the best description of the "what shall I get?" question I have ever read, Flo. Well done. It's better than mine.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 722 Posts

Another thing is that there is no 'BEST' van. They are all a compromise. Mine is best for me and I would buy another next time. However the shower and loo are a bit small but I have a philosophy that 'That'll do' makes life easier and less stressful than seeking perfection and spending an inordinate amount of time searching for something you may never find. You are also hide bound by what is available, particularly if buying second hand. You can probably work out whether you want a panel or coach built after that nothing will be perfect.

Oddly I remember the first weekend with the latest one and missing some of the better aspects of the old one. It made me realise that it is not a good idea to compare too much and I would not change back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post: