Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for side shelter for Kangoo (or any car/van with roof bars)

Thanks

Default Idea for side shelter for Kangoo (or any car/van with roof bars)

Whilst I think the Packashack that I bought is a brilliant piece of kit - quick to put up and take down whilst being fairly compact. Now that I have decided on my day van layout, I find I am usually using the side door rather than the tailgate because I am not as agile as I once was The Packashack just sits there not being used and taking up space.

What I really want is some rain shelter on the side so I can keep the door open, take off wet gear, etc., but I am not concerned about privacy - a roof alone is sufficient. Considered the Quechua base that everyone recommends, but it is too bulky to keep in the car all the time. Browsing the web today I came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb0V16zp9Y8

That was the sort of thing I was thinking of, but I was struggling to think of a simple way to get the tarp tight without lots of guys. Inspired, I popped out to the car with some short pieces of string (all right, they were old shoe laces), a two part extending tent pole and a cheap 6x6 tarp. In less than 5 minutes I had tied the pole to my roof bar, tied one end of the tarp to the bottom end of the pole (it would be better if it had a spike both ends), then slipped the tarp over the top end and extended the pole to make it taut. It is so much simpler than fiddling about with a flapping tarp and long guy ropes. It was a simple job to tie the tarp onto the roof bar halfway along, extend my walking poles to hold up the other two corners and finished.

Certainly an idea that I am going to refine. Using walking poles does not allow one standing headroom under the tarp, but it was good enough for what I want and saves me taking extra gear in the car.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KangooPete For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Pennine Pullman Folding Camper
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,037 Times in 2,122 Posts

Try using tarp clips as a fastening

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...caApqJEALw_wcB

These can be left permanently attached to your tarp
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,384 Posts

No you need 'bungee deeleybobs' like it says on the video!

Seriously impressed by that set up. I know BuzznDave has a similar set up with a nylon tarp on his GoPod. I wish an awning went up that quickly!

I am seriously considering a Queshua myself, simply because they are easy to put up.
    Last edited by jayjay; 09-08-2017 at 09:24 PM.

My Unit
    Romini (Little Roo).
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 700 Posts

Default Idea for side shelter

I've got one of these.Hard to get hold of now, but they are about

https://youtu.be/BuJ5aXOF9Uw

Pam

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pamsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That looks really useful. We have a beach shelter that opens like that - quick and easy.

That may well suit many people, but I am looking for something that takes up less space in the car boot.

My Unit
    Pennine Pullman Folding Camper
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,037 Times in 2,122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pamsicle View Post
    I've got one of these.Hard to get hold of now, but they are about

https://youtu.be/BuJ5aXOF9Uw

Pam
    I could do with one of those. Just had a quick Google but they seem to be out of stock everywhere
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Fiat Doblo Mini Tour
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    No you need 'bungee deeleybobs' like it says on the video!

Seriously impressed by that set up. I know BuzznDave has a similar set up with a nylon tarp on his GoPod. I wish an awning went up that quickly!

I am seriously considering a Queshua myself, simply because they are easy to put up.
    Jayjay, I would think the Quechua might be difficult for you, with your back problems. I love mine, and it is so simple to put up, but getting it back in the bag involves a fair amount of wrangling, and I have to use my knees to control it at one point. I'll be at the Autumn Rally, so if you want, you can see what's involved, if you haven't already.
    Claire

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CVJ For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CVJ View Post
    Jayjay, I would think the Quechua might be difficult for you, with your back problems. I love mine, and it is so simple to put up, but getting it back in the bag involves a fair amount of wrangling, and I have to use my knees to control it at one point. I'll be at the Autumn Rally, so if you want, you can see what's involved, if you haven't already.
    Thank you, Claire! If I actually make it to the rally, I would be most interested to see one, especially how it would fit up to the back of my caravan. but I don't think it would work, as I have a table which affixes to the outside of the caravan, which I would have to work around. Not impossible, if it would be easier than putting up an awning proper though. I'll bring a tape measure! I had a small 2 man instant tent years ago as a pup tent, and I had to wrestle that to the floor to get it to fold up! I was thinking maybe a tarp/tunnel type thing would have to be in the middle to connect the two. I wonder about putting it away though, and whether that would be too difficult, a regular awning would perhaps be easier in the long run!
    Last edited by jayjay; 11-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

An extension pole like this, normally used for painting ceilings and walls, properly attached to the roof bars, works quite well, they seem to be much stronger than telescopic tent or tarp poles.....important when extending it towards the back of the car.....and even further...:-)....without any support from the roof rack there...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-3-s...-pole-3m/10063

Can be left permenantly on the roof rack...additionally we have some of these, 2 would be sufficient

https://www.obelink.de/telescopische...ml?sqr=Stange&

When it gets really stormy, another vertical pole underneath the end of the extended paint roller pole on the roof rack might be beneficial....with a big enough tarp one is sheltered on 2 sides...by the car on one side and from half the tarp rigged vertically on the other , plus from the top...obviously...
    Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 11-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiedrigerIQ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Awning

Interesting video. I have never needed an awning but if i did as a minimal version to give shelter and sun shade to one side of our car it was the poles that would take up the space problematically. I thought with our car and i was thinking for sun if you opened the front door fully and the rear door 180 degree a small silnylon sheet cut to size and locked onto the door edges with clips and with 2 guys to 2 ti wire pegs they would hold the doors and the tarp. Held to the car roof in ways only relevant to me with no roof rack Or for a bigger tarp only one pole instead of the rear door
    Last edited by Derekoak; 11-08-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derekoak View Post
    it was the poles that would take up the space problematically
    I know, that is why I am keen to use my walking poles that are in the car already. I did come across these which pack up very small and have good reviews. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-Tar.../dp/B001RTT8G0

Thanks

Default Walking poles

Quote Originally Posted by KangooPete View Post
    I know, that is why I am keen to use my walking poles that are in the car already. I did come across these which pack up very small and have good reviews. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-Tar.../dp/B001RTT8G0
    If i went for my one pole suggestion my plan woild be to join 2 walking poles. My wife has non standard fixed length 3 part black diamond slot together poles which look like a good length below the basket would slide into the right diameter 150mm long tube and so make a 2.4m pole with a handle at each end. I do not carry poles so 2 such poles are not a space saving option.
    Last edited by Derekoak; 11-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks

I have never needed an awning
    You two travel with so much gear stored in the car and obviously enjoy outdoor activities - so how do you cope when you come back soaked and don't want to go into the car with all your wet gear on?

And what about ventilation when it is raining with two of you sleeping in the car? I found the wind deflectors in the front help but I like more of a draft.

Thanks

Default Wet and ventilation

IMG_0270.jpg
    You can see here one of 2 vent windows we can fit as needed and a mini heki plus rooflight. Both are midge and rain proof. I could post more pictures if you want to make vent windows or midge proof things.
    In good weather we have more midge proofed windows and of course we open doors if we can
    We have drying lines on the ceiling all over and 2 of them drip over our sink and 2 drained areas into our sink waste. So wettest stuff there. We mop the floor and squeegee the windows and mop that water and wring it down the sink. We have a propex heater we might use, after that we have a cup of tea and thus make more steam and say how much worse we would be in a tiny backpacking tent in the same Scottish winter!
    Generally our bedding is dry by bed time. In a tent however hard you try winter conditions make bedding damp. 4 bad winter days was enough near courrour station!
    If we enter dry our ventilation and heating is fine apart from condensation on windows at night behind the insulated blinds
    Last edited by Derekoak; 13-08-2017 at 05:50 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

IMG_0270.jpg
    You can see here one of 2 vent windows we can fit as needed and a mini heki plus rooflight. Both are midge and rain proof. I could post more pictures if you want to make vent windows or midge proof things.
    Please would you post more photos of your window vents? Our back windows only hinge outwards, but the front ones have rain defectors on. However, in strong wind, I can only open them a little before the rain blows in.

I have thought about a roof vent but as we want our car to stay registered as a car, we thought it may negatively impact our car insurance. Did you fit it yourselves?

Thanks

Default Venting

Quote Originally Posted by KangooPete View Post
    Please would you post more photos of your window vents? Our back windows only hinge outwards, but the front ones have rain defectors on. However, in strong wind, I can only open them a little before the rain blows in.

I have thought about a roof vent but as we want our car to stay registered as a car, we thought it may negatively impact our car insurance. Did you fit it yourselves?
    I fitted the rooflight myself . It took us some time to fit one as it makes it look less like a car, and cutting such a big hole takes nerve! Our camper is still registered as mpv but insured as a camper with knowledge that we can still put in the rear seats and carry up to 6 people. That did excluded most insurers. We are with Campton as agents for markerstudy. I gather it is the dual use that is the issue and perhaps a rooflight would not be an issue. I had a good talk with AIB who said they would not insure us but tried to explain why not. Perhaps you could ask them whether a rooflight alone would make a difference to them? The advantage of a rooflight is tremendous as when cooking you get all the hot air above the opening windows where it tends to stay (perhaps worse with our high roof). The rooflight cleared that.
    I am at relatives at the moment. I will take other photos of the vent windows when I can. I do intend remaking them for more flexibility. They would only fit in or on sliding windows.Our hinge outward windows are harder so were not first choice. If you got clear hard plastic like your front window deflectors and glued a wedge outside the hinge windows as a rain shedding roof perhaps you could keep the hinge windows open as long as the car bonnet or the other side of the car faced the wind?
    Last edited by Derekoak; 14-08-2017 at 10:35 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've just fitted a Fiamma Caravanstore pull-out awning/sunshade to my old Talbot Camelot. OK, its a bigger van that what you're talking about, but the principal's the same.
    I had to fit a caravan awning rail to the side of the van, and the awning lives up there permanently. Five minutes to erect, seven to dismantle, very good quality kit, and doesn't take up any room in the van.
    I would imagine that with a bit of ingenuity it shouldn't be difficult to fit an awning rail to roof bars.
    Depending on size, they're from about £150 upwards.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to emmerson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another video link for a very simple, cheap, quick side awning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mElVDmznjhg

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

I stick to my paint roll extension pole......as it can be extended further than the boot....giving a nice L-shaped covered aerea....curtesy of the lid..and underneath we have the tailgate, which is quite handy for lots of purposes...Peugeot 3008, the older/first model..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiedrigerIQ View Post
    I stick to my paint roll extension pole......as it can be extended further than the boot....giving a nice L-shaped covered aerea....curtesy of the lid..and underneath we have the tailgate, which is quite handy for lots of purposes...Peugeot 3008, the older/first model..
    Have you actually tried this? If so, do you have any photos? I must admit I like the idea of the extending pole in order to gain the tension in the tarp, but the bolt through hooks on the later video would work for the bottom end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast