Thread: Front engine subframe

My Unit
    X reg C15 Romahome Hylo ("Eugene")
    Thanks

Question Front engine subframe

Hi Ant

Firstly, a million thanks for all the advice you've given me over the years. Typing it out doesn't do justice for the strength of my feeling!

My C15 failed its MOT recently due to a rusty front subframe. When the garage removed it to weld it, they found it was too badly gone to fix so it needs a replacement one, but the garage tells me they're no longer available new and they're struggling to find one from scrapyards (my van has been in the garage for six weeks now with no luck). I was just wondering if you knew if they are still available new anywhere, or if you have any suggestions of where to get a used one? Are they available to import from the continent maybe?

Thanks

Jane.

Thanks

Hi Jane.
    I'm afraid any body and chassis parts for a C15 are getting very difficult to find, I don't have one here my last remaining doner C15 is pretty much stripped out now with a very rotten underside, ( that's why it became a doner vehicle). I'm sure there are some out there somewhere, just a case of trawling the internet including classic car/van parts sites as well as breakeryard .com type sites.
    Thanks
    Ant

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,811 Posts

Perhaps not relevant in this situation, But years ago when I operated Peugeot taxis I found that lots of (particularly mechanical) parts for my Peugeots were duplicated on Citroen vehicles - often at a sometimes cheaper outlay. I got into the habit of ringing both dealers parts outlets for availability and quotes
    I just thought it might still be so and might save grief and expense for Citroen or Peugeot owners.
    Maybe I am out of date - But?
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Outlook Exclusive
    Thanks

Still true Jim

Our Berlingo Romahome has Peugeot marked headlamp protectors because they were cheaper than buying from Citroen.

All Berlingos have a Peugeot Partner cousin that is almost identical except for a few cosmetic differences. Dealer only parts prices still vary though but you need a parts man who understands.

Unfortunately there is no Peugeot that is comparable to a C15.

I would have thought though that if the subframe is off the vehicle a good steel fabrication shop should be able to repair it.

Peter

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterholden For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,384 Posts

Is this any use? You could message the vendor and ask the question? Chances are that this one will also be rusted away, but you never know your luck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C1...YAAOSwhQhY7LSI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    C15 Romahome Hylo Grand Finale
    Thanks

I agree with Peter.

A decent fabrication shop or classic restorer should be able to weld up the existing sub frame, no matter how far it is gone. I imagine that as long as the original shape is still there it will be possible to have it repaired.

However, i definitely won't be cheap and you will have to find someone who actually wants to undertake this unusual task. It should be possible though.

Panda.
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pandabloke For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Outlook Exclusive
    Thanks

I forgot so say you might also find that your local one man band welder is prepared to have a go.

Having worked on restorations of a number of vehicles it is usually possible to repair or create a copy of most severely rusted parts.

A good fabricator could do it, he would have skills that norma run of the mill garages and car body repairers dont have.

I run a classic land rover and looking at some of the repairs to the bulkhead that supports the winscreen where they have worked more from measurements and photos than the original part, a comptent fabricator can make almost anything.

Peter

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterholden For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,138 Times in 810 Posts

Default Online Breakers

Gone are the days of happily rummaging in a scrapyard piled high with dead cars ... these days it's all bit 'proper'. If you have the year of manufacture for your Citroen and the engine type then a root around online could be worth a go.

https://www.breakerlink.com/cars/citroen/c15/
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Subframes...Model=Berlingo
    Last edited by mikeroch; 07-08-2017 at 03:39 PM.

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,429 Times in 1,878 Posts

Anything electrical from a scrap yard for a modern car won't work even if you fit it. It has to be programmed into one of the many ECUs, and the only people that can do that are the main dealers. At £160 an hour or part thereof, of course.
    Watch out, next year even the body panels will be chipped, and if you fit a replacement wing the engine won't start!
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    Anything electrical from a scrap yard for a modern car won't work even if you fit it. It has to be programmed into one of the many ECUs, and the only people that can do that are the main dealers. At £160 an hour or part thereof, of course.
    Watch out, next year even the body panels will be chipped, and if you fit a replacement wing the engine won't start!
    Andrew all good reasons for the o/p to keep his ancient C15 on the road. The only chips a C15 knows come with Fish

Jon
    I hate growing old - my mind thinks that I am still young but at times my body lets me down

Thanks

Now then roombaqueen! I bought a front subframe for my C15 Hytop from Rochdale Van Breakers last year. My mechanic who fitted it said it was a top bit of kit. Paid about 70 quid. Their number is 01706 647484. Reviews for them dont seem to be too good but my dealings with them were sweet as a nut!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ivebob For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    X reg C15 Romahome Hylo ("Eugene")
    Thanks

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I forgot the forum stops notifying you after the first reply. Serves me right for not having come on for ages!
    Jane

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,581 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roombaqueen View Post
    Thanks everyone, I forgot the forum stops notifying you after the first reply. Serves me right for not having come on for ages!

If you subscribe to a thread and ask for instant email notification you should be notified of all replies, if you aren't receiving them look in your spam/junk folder.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store