Thread: Forward Planning ... a lesson learned.

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 812 Posts

Default Forward Planning ... a lesson learned.

Just back from Inverness where I spotted this poster outside Inshes Primary School ... created by the kids to encourage parents to park away a little and not to clog up the pick-up / drop-off / turning area (fat chance!). I was hugely tickled by this classic example of failure to plan ahead.

The importance of FORWARD PLANNING.jpg
    Last edited by mikeroch; 02-08-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeroch For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 979 Posts

Never mind Mike, the message still gets across. I wish there was a similar sign near my grandchildren's school/preschool, where the parents' cars frequently block in the school minibuses, and as if that wasn't bad enough, sit there with their diesel engines running, right next to the playground. I've had a few altercations already with them about this. If they want to poison their kids with nitrous oxide fumes and particulates, fine, but don't do it to my grandchildren.

Sorry, wrong place for a rant, but it makes me angry!
    Cynthia.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,390 Posts

Yes, it gets the message across, Mike! I wish we had a poster like that here as well, although I do wonder if the lazy b's would take any notice. They shut the school in the next village and the children from there are bused to this school here and the bus driver always has trouble parking. Thank goodness we now have 6 weeks off from it!

It's the same here when the children come in and out of school. I live three doors away and if my windows at the front of the bungalow are open and the wind in the right direction, my room is filled with fumes as well as the street! And the children who walk to school, and their younger siblings in pushchairs get a face full every time. It really doesn't matter if it's diesel or petrol, both have poisonous gasses coming out, that's why both have to have an emissions test at MOT time.

It's worse in the winter, when people leave their engines running so that the heater stays on and the car is warm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks

I looked up the catchment area for that school yesterday and it's just 2km across with typically less than 1km from any home with no major road crossings. When I was a Primary age kid in Dagenham in the 1950's I'd walk myself to school and back including crossing several big roads. The threat from dodgy types was probably no less than it is now and it taught me independence and self reliance as well as getting a bit of exercise. I sometimes feel that modern kids lack many basic 'life skills' as a result of parental mollycoddling.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeroch For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20 Hi
    Thanks

Hi,

I think the 'mistake' is deliberate. Certainly, on the east coast the CAR is often pronounced like CARE e.g. Who's driving the care, I've got a new care etc.

I think the point being that when car parking show that your CARE by parking away thus demonstrating "care parking".

Kind regards

iVan

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iVan For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Nu Venture Rio
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,118 Posts

Actually last week I had trouble getting passed the mothers outside the school gates and I was on foot! They were gossipping like there was no tomorrow and although I politely said 'Excuse me' at least three times, not one of them would move their bulging thighs in their ultra tight stretch leggings. Sorry if this sounds a tad pejorative but it reflects my feelings at the time, I was endeveavouring to get home for my lunch!
    Mary

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanderella For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    was Berlingo R20 Hylo, now R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroch View Post
    Just back from Inverness where I spotted this poster outside Inshes Primary School ... created by the kids to encourage parents to park away a little and not to clog up the pick-up / drop-off / turning area (fat chance!). I was hugely tickled by this classic example of failure to plan ahead.

The importance of FORWARD PLANNING.jpg
    Oh dear, and the spelling as well. Good job it's kids, and it does add to the charm, but nowadays it could just as easily have been written by an adult, sadly. GeeCee

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeeCee For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,885 Posts

Worse than that, it shows the quality of the teachers at that school. If they can't speel, wot hoap iz their fr the kidz? I would be embarrassed as a teacher putting that up. They should have shown the kids that it is a good idea to draw the poster words on the sheet before painting it.
    Next we will see one of those 'Excellent Ofstead Report' signs all mis-spelt and off centre.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,885 Posts

Actually, wouldn't this be better?:

SHOW YOU CARE.
    WALK.

Or better still:

SHOW YOU CARE.
    WALK, YOU LAZY B..........
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    Worse than that, it shows the quality of the teachers at that school. If they can't speel, wot hoap iz their fr the kidz? I would be embarrassed as a teacher putting that up. They should have shown the kids that it is a good idea to draw the poster words on the sheet before painting it.
    Next we will see one of those 'Excellent Ofstead Report' signs all mis-spelt and off centre.
    I agree, if I were Headteacher (a squadron of porcine aviators just zipped past my window) I'd have balked at that going up. It's one thing encouraging the kids to produce such a poster, but a bit of planning guidance from the teacher might not have gone amiss. It's quite sweet in and of itself, but it does send out a bit of a mixed message.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeroch For This Useful Post: