Thread: Can Bambi tow bar fit/adapt for Romahome?

Thanks

Default Can Bambi tow bar fit/adapt for Romahome?

Hi Ant, I have an old demountable Romahome on a Daihatsu Hijet Pickup. Iíd love to have a tow bar for a bike rack but the rear overhang blocks conventional mounting. Iíve seen tow bars on similar Bambiís and wondered if an adaption could be done for mine? Any mileage in this idea? Many Thanks. Chris D.

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Chris
    As I understand it the official position is NO.
    However take a look at Donk'sDad posts and you will see the towbar he has on a Suzuki Pick-Up and pod.
    One problem with your bike rack - 7you will forever be unloading bikes when you are away to access van - maybe you should think lightweight trailer.

Were you not asking the same questions a couple of years ago?
    If your vehicle is pre August 1998 the towbar can legaly be a home-brewed bar without Type Approval vehicles registered after that date must have Type Approved towbars. - In my experience MoT testers do not look - If the electrics are modern 13pin system then a trailer board will be plugged on to check correct wiring / operation. Not with 7 pin system!
    Jon
    Last edited by kernowjon; 16-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Jon. I revisited this subject again after seeing the Thule Apex Swing Away rack that swings the bike out to the side allowing quick easy access to the back door. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diRd9DY3uA8 However, can't see it for sale in the UK!

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

You will find it on Amazon - but it will swing the "wrong" way for RHD.
    DD tows a small trailer I would think it is the better option. If your truck has Spring Assisters the tail will be up so the ball will be high enough.
    I have spring assisters from Custom Campers - IMHO well worth the £300 plus, they completely cured the draggy **** / nose up syndrome.
    Jon