Thread: The new Romini?

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,457 Posts

Default The new Romini?

It seems We Cover Leisure or Romahome as we know them are working on a new micro caravan.

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Don't ask me anymore because I don't know but will try to find out.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,270 Times in 1,802 Posts

yuk.
    Mind you, some people obviously paid money for this monstrosity:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GW-...%257Ciid%253A1

I suppose the Romini company would have done some market research on teardrop things otherwise they wouldn't do this.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 2,278 Posts

Interesting, but I think they might have left it a bit late to join the teardrop club!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Pennine Pullman Folding Camper
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Interesting, but I think they might have left it a bit late to join the teardrop club!
    Teardrops are big business. Room for more in the market definitely.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 877 Posts

They're much prettier than the Gobur, which looks very boxy once erected, but I still prefer to have full head head throughout my living space! The appeal of these Teardrops will I think be based on their light weight, which means they can be towed by just about anything.

Cynthia.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCynth View Post
    The appeal of these Teardrops will I think be based on their light weight, which means they can be towed by just about anything.

Cynthia.
    And by people with no experience at all of caravanning or tenting, who see it and go "oooh isn't it different?"
    Once they find they can't stand up in it, there are no roof cupboards and to get dressed or do any cooking they have to go outside in the rain, they will quickly re-appear on ebay.
    I don't think that just because it is a teardrop shape that makes it necessarily light weight. The streamlining won't have a lot of effect on its towability because aerodynamics only come into effect over 50mph and trailers are restricted to 60. It will appeal to people who like the look of it over and above the practicalities.

I did think the side panels sort of look as if they might hinge upwards. Now, there's an idea. If you hinged both sides upwards and held them up with poles, it would look like a beautiful swan. Then you could have your foody trader stand and it would indeed attract people. They would have to make a looped tubular frame round the body walls though, like the 2CV.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini named Day-Zee-Mae
    Thanks

Default The new Romini

Hi,
    That looks like the Chuki Teardrop trailer, you buy it as a kit then build it.

63631528c2194f16f6a26ec96cc478f3--teardrop-caravan-pod.jpg

Pat

13. The Following User Says Thank You to greycamper For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini named Day-Zee-Mae
    Thanks

Default The new Romini

Teardrops are alright, but you have to have awning, one to get dressed in, and one at the back for when its raining to do your cooking

Bit hard to get dressed lying down ha ha, suppose we all done it at one time ha ha

Pat

15. The Following User Says Thank You to greycamper For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    And by people with no experience at all of caravanning or tenting, who see it and go "oooh isn't it different?"
    Yes I think that's the driving force gg. The modern desperation to be considered to be "cool". A case of form following fashion rather than function.

A bit like all this comedy architecture that is springing up everywhere. Popular because it's been deemed to be "cool" by some unspecified arbiters.

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Only this morning I saw an oldie (my age) riding a Pheonix trike towing a tear drop in front of him was a woman (same age) riding another trike.
    Given the choice at my age of choosing between a teardrop or a small tent - I would opt for the teardrop. Point I am trying to make is there is room in this world for everyone and everyone's tastes.
    As for getting dressed that can be fraught for a 6 footer in a small Romahome - getting dressed laid in bed can be done although some moves may also appear in the Kama Sutra

Jon

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,143 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kernowjon View Post
    Only this morning I saw an oldie (my age) riding a Pheonix trike towing a tear drop in front of him was a woman (same age) riding another trike.
    Given the choice at my age of choosing between a teardrop or a small tent - I would opt for the teardrop. Point I am trying to make is there is room in this world for everyone and everyone's tastes.
    As for getting dressed that can be fraught for a 6 footer in a small Romahome - getting dressed laid in bed can be done although some moves may also appear in the Kama Sutra

Jon
    The chap who sold me my Romini had previously towed it with a Trike. He said the Trike hardly knew it was there. The main problem was the length of the rear mirror extensions needed for adequate rearward vision. I have yet to make up my mind whether the tear-drop shape is aimed at (supposedly) aerodynamic considerations or a concession to fashion.
    Perhaps my preference for my Romini is much influenced by the "getting dressed" factor combined with my advancing age?

Jim
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twolitre View Post
    Perhaps my preference for my Romini is much influenced by the "getting dressed" factor combined with my advancing age?

Jim
    The Romini is superior in every way. Unlike the teardrop things, you can live in it. End of story. I suppose you could keep rabbits or chickens in a teardrop, but that is the only use I can think of for them. You couldn't even store a motorbike in there.

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,383 Posts

From what I have seen of small teardrop caravans, they only have a bed inside - so are really only a bedroom. The kitchen seems to be always out in the elements.

Fine in summer, a step up from a tent for sleeping but otherwise not much use.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 877 Posts

The Romini is superior in every way. Unlike the teardrop things, you can live in it. End of story. I suppose you could keep rabbits or chickens in a teardrop, but that is the only use I can think of for them. You couldn't even store a motorbike in there.
    Don't forget the pizza oven!
    http://thefirebirdoven.co.uk/

I'm inclined to agree though, the Romini is hugely preferable to a Teardrop any day.
    Cynthia.

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,143 Times in 1,784 Posts

Well that has made me feel better!

Jim
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post: