Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shower use in Caravans/MHs

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I have a good shower in the caravan but I only use it for emergencies. e.g. At one site the showers were really cold. The shower is not a waste of space though as it's brilliant storage. At the moment in there there is a camping fridge, a cool box ,a camp chair, 2 duvets , a pillow and all my shower stuff. I always wear rubber flip flops in the site showers.
    The one reason we sometimes think we'd like a va with a shower compartment is to store two guitars, or for somewhere to hang dripping waterproofs.
    Geoff

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Artoo0 For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,383 Posts

My last van had a shower but in 2 years I only used it 3 times, so I didn't bother about this van not having one.

However, now being 19 nights in to a month long trip I have changed my mind.

The biggest difficulty is that no shower = no bathroom so the porta potti stands in the middle of the floor. Not very private when I want to use it in, say, the middle of a car park - I have to draw all the curtains and blinds.

There have been quite a few occasions when I would have liked a shower but have been either not on a proper site, or on one which didn't have showers. Whilst a sink, kettle and flannel suffice for a lot of my needs, hair washing is not easy in a small sink. Perhaps this is less of a problem for our male members who can manage with a quick wipe over of their balding pates.

My next van will have a bathroom with a shower in it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    nu venture surf
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCynth View Post
    Well that's interesting, the majority of people with showers on board opting to use site facilities!

When I asked my Lunar-owning neighbour why he'd never used his he said he couldn't be doing with faffing about refilling the aquaroll after every shower. However, I have noticed nowadays that you can buy some sort of pipe contraption that attaches to a tap, the other end goes to the aquaroll and the aquaroll is kept permanently topped up, and doesn't flood because of some sort of cut-off valve. That's ok if you're on a serviced pitch but you'd be a bit unpopular monopolising the one tap the whole site needed to use!

When I upgrade to a proper job caravan I shall buy one with a loo and shower, and I will delight in making use of it, fancy valve-controlled aquaroll refilling device or not! That's the great thing about being on my own, I don't have anyone making up rules to which I'm expected to adhere!
    Cynthia.
    we had a shower in our valentine we both used it once and the second time the wife ran out of water just as she got herself covered in bubbles.......... never used it again
    the surf just has a loo no shower

kyran
    Last edited by kyran; 30-06-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyran For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    C15 Romahome Hylo Grand Finale
    Thanks

I have a Sunncamp Outhouse toilet tent thing. I don't think they make it anymore purely because it was almost impossible to assemble without hospitalising yourself.....

I think I've posted this link before, but here is a review I wrote on Amazon about it. Just open the link and click on '2 customer reviews'. Mine is the diatribe.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pandabloke For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 819 Posts

Great review - Panda!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianTheSnail For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabloke View Post
    I have a Sunncamp Outhouse toilet tent thing. I don't think they make it anymore purely because it was almost impossible to assemble without hospitalising yourself.....

I think I've posted this link before, but here is a review I wrote on Amazon about it. Just open the link and click on '2 customer reviews'. Mine is the diatribe.....

Panda
    Brilliant review. I had a good giggle reading it!

Too many of these little toilet / utility tents are a real pain in the proverbial to put up single-handed. And the canes snap at the slightest provocation.

I can recommend the Khyam Instant erect one though it is costly.
    Carpe diem!

My Unit
    Toyota Hiace
    Thanks

I made the mistake of buying an Aldi utility tent, and there is no way I could put it up by myself. Complete waste of money, but my own fault entirely.

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 877 Posts

Panda
    Oh, Panda, that was funny! I had read it before but it seemed even funnier the second time round! What I didn't like was the comment by the second reviewer who tried to make you sound somewhat inept (she said politely) by saying ''....it's not rocket science to put up one of these tents' Don't you just hate clever dicks?

On my recent rally, from which I returned early yesterday - having run out of gas - and money, I test drove my new Olpro pop-up toilet tent. Watching me struggle with this unwieldy piece of kit, in a strong wind that seemed to blow up from no-where were 3 hunky blokes who all came rushing across to help me do battle with the beast. So, eventually the four of us managed to pin it into submission, but every time the wind gusted the bendy poles threw a wobbly and the whole thing resembled a chocolate blancmange. No matter how much we adjusted the guy ropes we couldn't get the thing to stand still, but at least it stayed put for the duration of my stay even if it was pegged out at a rather comical angle.... it got nicknamed the 'Leaning Tower of Pissa'..... Taking down the tent and putting it back into the storage bag was much easier than I'd thought it would be. It has a sewn in groundsheet - a mixed blessing as not very practical if using it to shower in but my main complaint about this tent is that it leaks! One day of my stay on site it rained all day (and night) and I had to take my brolly in the tent to use the loo! Not impressed. I shall make more effort to familiarise myself with erecting the Sunncamp Lulu.

Good news at least - I managed to get one of those pump shower thingies from 'Go Outdoors' - a lovely big retail outlet near Bedford - and due to the kindness of one of my fellow campers, who lent me her discount card, I got it for £20!
    Cynthia.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Hi Cynthia, my lovely.

In 2013 I went a week on my 110amp battery watching probably 3 hours of telly every day (I wasn't at all well, I was convalescing from a breakdown, so forgive my tv watching), charging laptop, tablet and phone, lighting the folding camper and showering every day and the battery was still going strong. The battery was static in the camper and didn't receive a charge in the week but still fully recharged on the magic charger in a few hours when I got home.

Water pumps do draw a lot of current but they don't run for long. When I shower for maybe ten minutes, the pump doesn't run for anything like that time, so even on an 85ah battery, you could probably go a week without recharging quite easily provided you didn't go mad.

Hope this helps, petal.

Panda
    Hello lovely boy!

Thanks for that. I think the leisure battery in my folder is the lower figure you quoted above. I didn't have any problems with it during my 5 nights out thankfully. I was just wondering whether I could get a reasonable quality radio , put a 12v plug on it and run it off my leisure battery? One of the guys on the rally was doing his best to get me to buy a solar panel while we were in 'Go Outdoors', but also said I would need a regulator for it, to stop it over-charging the battery and frying it. As funds were already on the brink of b****r all by then, I couldn't run to anything other than my new 'shower unit'. He was trying to persuade me to buy one of the free standing ones so that you can 'chase the sun' during daylight hours. However, I've managed perfectly well without a solar panel so far, I tend to feel it would be an unnecessary expense. Surely you can still buy a radio that runs off small, rechargeable batteries, or run it off the leisure battery?

Crumbs, there's always some demand or other on funds.... Well at least I managed to duck out of the communal meal, where the pub was charging £10 for a veggie nut burger!

My car seemed to use a bit more fuel when towing this time. I don't usually notice much difference in the fuel consumption as Rosie is such a lightweight. Travelling to Bedford: 38.14 mpg: a straightforward journey with no hold-ups, 3hrs to do 150 miles. Towing home: 37.34 mpg, 6hrs to do the same mileage! Very heavy traffic once on the M4/M5. I can only assume the reduction (down from 40 - 42mpg towing) is due to the fact that i seem to be carting a lot of extra stuff around with me lately!
    Cynthia.

My Unit
    C15 Romahome Hylo Grand Finale
    Thanks

Oh, Panda, that was funny! I had read it before but it seemed even funnier the second time round! What I didn't like was the comment by the second reviewer who tried to make you sound somewhat inept (she said politely) by saying ''....it's not rocket science to put up one of these tents' Don't you just hate clever dicks?

On my recent rally, from which I returned early yesterday - having run out of gas - and money, I test drove my new Olpro pop-up toilet tent. Watching me struggle with this unwieldy piece of kit, in a strong wind that seemed to blow up from no-where were 3 hunky blokes who all came rushing across to help me do battle with the beast. So, eventually the four of us managed to pin it into submission, but every time the wind gusted the bendy poles threw a wobbly and the whole thing resembled a chocolate blancmange. No matter how much we adjusted the guy ropes we couldn't get the thing to stand still, but at least it stayed put for the duration of my stay even if it was pegged out at a rather comical angle.... it got nicknamed the 'Leaning Tower of Pissa'..... Taking down the tent and putting it back into the storage bag was much easier than I'd thought it would be. It has a sewn in groundsheet - a mixed blessing as not very practical if using it to shower in but my main complaint about this tent is that it leaks! One day of my stay on site it rained all day (and night) and I had to take my brolly in the tent to use the loo! Not impressed. I shall make more effort to familiarise myself with erecting the Sunncamp Lulu.

Good news at least - I managed to get one of those pump shower thingies from 'Go Outdoors' - a lovely big retail outlet near Bedford - and due to the kindness of one of my fellow campers, who lent me her discount card, I got it for £20!
    Cynthia.
    Hi Cynthia!

Yep, gotta love Go Outdoors! There's one about 15 miles from me and I try and avoid going there cos I always spend money. They also 'price match' and they have always taken returns with no quibble from me. Absolutely love 'em!

Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandabloke For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 2,278 Posts

Hello lovely boy! ]

My car seemed to use a bit more fuel when towing this time. I don't usually notice much difference in the fuel consumption as Rosie is such a lightweight. Travelling to Bedford: 38.14 mpg: a straightforward journey with no hold-ups, 3hrs to do 150 miles. Towing home: 37.34 mpg, 6hrs to do the same mileage! Very heavy traffic once on the M4/M5. I can only assume the reduction (down from 40 - 42mpg towing) is due to the fact that i seem to be carting a lot of extra stuff around with me lately!
    Cynthia.
    Could be a lot of things, Cynthia... If you were in a head wind, for example, that would bring down your MPG, also having windows open, as daft as that sounds. I wouldn't assume it was the extra stuff you are carrying around, a few extra pounds shouldn't make that much difference, especially if the bulk of it was directly above the wheels of your van, inside the unit on the floor. The worse thing I have found for reducing MPG is having stuff stored to the rear of a unit, behind the central wheels on the van.

Could you take/send the loo tent back for a refund, Cynthia?
    Last edited by jayjay; 02-07-2017 at 09:22 AM.

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Could be a lot of things, Cynthia... If you were in a head wind, for example, that would bring down your MPG, also having windows open, as daft as that sounds. I wouldn't assume it was the extra stuff you are carrying around, a few extra pounds shouldn't make that much difference, especially if the bulk of it was directly above the wheels of your van, inside the unit on the floor. The worse thing I have found for reducing MPG is having stuff stored to the rear of a unit, behind the central wheels on the van.

I thinks its all about being RIGHT i.e. right foot ..right gear ...right revs...i use my instant fuel consumption ..on a long run down hill its easy to reach 99.9 mpg just easing the right foot off a midge.
    BuzznDave

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David stringer For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post

Yep, could have been a number of these factors together; hot day: both front windows open, strong wind, not sure but I was probably driving directly into it for most of the journey. Most of the stuff in the 'van was packed around the wheel arches, although I tend to carry most bits in the car.

The worse thing I have found for reducing MPG is having stuff stored to the rear of a unit, behind the central wheels on the van.
    Recipe for instability I think!
    I'm not sure the tent would be returnable, especially as I can't find the receipt! I bought it from a company based in Herefordshire, who had a pitch at the Southern Motorhome Show in Newbury a few weeks ago. I could give them a ring tomorrow and see how the land lies.

Dave I don't have computerised mpg info in my car. When I did, on my previous car I never took any notice of it anyway as it never seemed to match my own calculations. Your theory about coasting downhill is apparently flawed, as unless you reapply pressure to the throttle at just the right moment your engine may start to labour to get up the next hill (or even to stay on the straight) negating any benefit of the coasting, allegedly. I try to maintain a steady speed, always keeping an eye on traffic well ahead so that usually I just need to adjust my speed a little and keep on the move rather than swapping between brakes and accelerator. The 7 speed DSG gearbox is a wonderful aid to smooth driving technique.
    Cynthia.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,270 Times in 1,802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David stringer View Post
    I thinks its all about being RIGHT i.e. right foot ..right gear ...right revs...i use my instant fuel consumption ..on a long run down hill its easy to reach 99.9 mpg just easing the right foot off a midge.
    Ah. But going up the Pyrenees I managed to get 3.8mpg. Full throttle in first gear round hair pin bends with The Fragrant One saying something unprintable about the 3,000 ft (oops that should be 2800 Euros) drop. I don't pay much attention to the instant mpg. Anyway if we were in Europland all our fuel consumption would be in Km/L. And we wouldn't have to show our passports every time we cross the channel. So presumably when we leave the Euro we will buy fuel in gallons?
    Does anyone know if the computerised MPG figures are accurate or are they +10% like the speedo reading? I know they run off a fuel flow meter in the pipeline somewhere in the bowels.
    My MOT comes up soon. I wonder if they will notice the EGR valve blanking plate? I'll let you know.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    nu venture surf
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    Ah. But going up the Pyrenees I managed to get 3.8mpg. Full throttle in first gear round hair pin bends with The Fragrant One saying something unprintable about the 3,000 ft (oops that should be 2800 Euros) drop. I don't pay much attention to the instant mpg. Anyway if we were in Europland all our fuel consumption would be in Km/L. And we wouldn't have to show our passports every time we cross the channel. So presumably when we leave the Euro we will buy fuel in gallons?
    Does anyone know if the computerised MPG figures are accurate or are they +10% like the speedo reading? I know they run off a fuel flow meter in the pipeline somewhere in the bowels.
    My MOT comes up soon. I wonder if they will notice the EGR valve blanking plate? I'll let you know.
    What would a EGR blanking plate do??
    more mpg?
    more acceleration?

kyran

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kyran For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not sure why but blanking egr has huge benefits for the running of the engine.
    I shouldn't worry about the MOT. As long as it's under the emissions they won't care. Worst case take it off and put it back on again after!
    Re mpg drop are all your tyres pumped up to the correct values?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llywelyn1984 For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,270 Times in 1,802 Posts

The EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve) takes some of the sooty diesel exhaust and puts it back into the inlet manifold. Anyone who has taken a diesel engine apart will under no circumstances want to inject sooty diesel exhaust back into the inlet! It clogs up the inlet valves, and surely will have a lot less oxygen in it, having been burnt once. So for £3.50 you can get an EGR blanking plate from fleabay, you loosen two nuts - you don't even have to remove them - slide the plate into position and it blanks off the tube from the exhaust to the inlet manifold. The manufacturers put this EGR valve contraption into the engine when it is new because it passes some official emission test that isn't done in the MOT. Another trick they get up to is to install a DPF -- Diesel Particulate Filter. The emissions test says something like "The exhaust must not contain more than xx parts per million of sooty particles". The manufacturer knows the conditions under which the test will be undertaken. Something like 'start the engine, run it for ten minutes till warm, then measure the soot particles per million'. So the manufacturer puts a special ceramic filter in the exhaust, adding £xxx (several hundred) to the build cost. It traps the sooty particles just long enough to pass the test. Then in order to flush the sooty particles out of the DPF, they arrange matters so that having passed the test and when you are out on the highway doing 60mph, the engine shoves heaps of diesel into the engine which makes the exhaust and DPF red hot. This burns the ceramic in the DPF and so chucks all the collected soot out in a big black puff of smoke. In other words the total sum of sooty particles emitted is exactly the same as it would have been without the DPF, but it dumps it somewhere out in the countryside instead of in the testing laboratory. Thus you achieve your desired Euro 5 or 6 emissions rating. I would be very interested to know how Fiat get a 6 rating without using Bluetooth or blue whatever it is whereas every other engine manufacturer needs to add blue stuff to the engine to make it work. It would make me buy a Fiat. That blue stuff is very bad if you get it on your skin, and you have to add it to a separate tank periodically. If you run out of it, of course the Computer That Must Be Obeyed will stop, even though you have a tank full of diesel left.

As for 3.8 mpg that tells you what sort of incline and hair pin bends you encounter in the Pyrenees. That was an instant reading, not the average for the day! On that eight week holiday I averaged 33 mpg. Tyres were correct.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Fiat and Euro 6

The egr valve has the purpose of reducing engine combustion temperatures so as to reduce nitrous oxide production. Nitrous oxides are the new horror pollutant that cause thousands of premature deaths in cities where diesel fumes become concentrated.
    One way fiat has tried to reduce nitrous oxides for Euro 6 engines is to pass the exhaust through the diesel particulate filter to clean out the soot BEFORE recycling some exhaust through the egr valve. You would have thought that would have been a good idea first time round.
    Most Euro 6 engines use an extra additive as you say blue-ad or something. I think it is urea. Added to the exhaust it is supposed tonbraek the nitrous oxides down to nitrogen and oxygen again in the exhaust
    An egr blank plate probably will not be noticed in an mot, it is a quick visual inspction and a not difficult emission test, but like taking out the dpf it is illegal if you are caught. In both cases you are saving a bit of fuel and maintenance expense at the expense of the general population's lungs. At the moment this is a problem only for your conscience.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123