Thread: Levelling wedges

My Unit
    Toyota Hiace
    Thanks

Default Levelling wedges

How necessary are they? And if they are essential how the bleep do you use them if you are on our own? I can imagine myself spending ages shuffling about, or more likely since I am not the most patient, driving straight off the top!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pomona For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Nu Venture Surf
    Thanks

Good question. I await a good answer from this knowledgeable crowd. Thank you for asking as I have wondered too.
    Patricia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PHM For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,023 Posts

In the decades of camping in tents before I had a campervan, I got quite used to sleeping on a slight slope, feet lower than head. If you can do that, then you may find you rarely use levelling wedges. But they can make life more comfortable if the whole campsite has a really bad slope, as does happen at times.

I bought pretty large ones for my hylo, which would have been easy enough to drive forward / backward onto on my own... but never used the things! AND they are big things to store. We now carry smaller wedges which I would place in front of the wheels and edge the van slowly forwards up the wedge.

Hmm I guess the next question is: would you drive forwards onto them or reverse onto them It depends on the pitch you are going to camp on.

Given a bad slope, I would certainly leave the van in gear as well as use the brakes.
    Carpe diem!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NomadSue For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Outlook Duo
    Thanks

Personally I prefer to be on the level and use a pair of ramps. Even if you're on your own they are easy enough to use as you can feel when you reach the troughs in the ramp. There is also a safety aspect to cooking on a sloping cooker.
    The spirit level apps for smart phones can be useful.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jondxxx For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome HyLo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 735 Posts

I've never used them and if I am parked on a slope, then I'd find it quicker and easier to just adjust the bed cushions instead rather than carry bulky wedges around. They're not so good for wilding either!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karenw For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jondxxx View Post
    Personally I prefer to be on the level and use a pair of ramps. Even if you're on your own they are easy enough to use as you can feel when you reach the troughs in the ramp. There is also a safety aspect to cooking on a sloping cooker.
    The spirit level apps for smart phones can be useful.
    The instructions for our Dometic fridge also warn that it may not work on gas if too far from the horizontal.
    Geoff

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artoo0 For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 831 Posts

I use them if the pitch is uneven because if I don't get the 'van levelled properly the fridge (temperamental at the best of times) won't work! I usually tow the 'van onto the ramp and then chock the other wheel, otherwise when you unhitch, the 'van tends to want to slew round, even with the handbrake pulled on. But that's with a caravan. And maybe there's something I'm not doing right. I don't know whether you need to chock the other wheel when levelling a camper/MH? I'm sure we'll get some more options/opinions expressed.
    Cynthia.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

I've always managed without levelling blocks for the same reason - how do you know when you're about to drive off the end unless you ask a fellow camper to guide you?

I found some levelling blocks in the locker when I bought my Outlook, but I've left them at home and just try and pitch so I sleep with my head higher than feet.

John

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Toyota Hiace
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, though opinion is obviously divided. I think I will try to use flat pitches to start wit, as I am sure that I will have enough to deal with learning about the van to start with.
    If I have fridge problems or I keep falling out of bed I will have to rethink!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pomona For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    I've always managed without levelling blocks for the same reason - how do you know when you're about to drive off the end unless you ask a fellow camper to guide you?

I found some levelling blocks in the locker when I bought my Outlook, but I've left them at home and just try and pitch so I sleep with my head higher than feet.

John
    John, you can buy 'Triple Levellers' which have three distinct levels for you to pull your wheel onto. I have a pair; it's much easier to tell when your wheel travels from one level to the next, though I've never had to go up onto the top level! The link below illustrates a pair of these; Kampa brand sold by BCH Camping, on special offer at the moment, including a small chock for the other wheel, much cheaper than Milenco even when they're at full price.

https://www.bchcamping.co.uk/Caravan...-Chunky-Chocks
    Cynthia.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    how do you know when you're about to drive off the end unless you ask a fellow camper to guide you?

John
    Never noticed it to be a problem.

Must admit I have gone over once or twice when eking out the last half inch or so but hopefully I will normally reach level enough before getting to the top. If you don't, move them a bit and try again.

My main reason for carrying them is to allow the fridge to work properly. While a fore an aft lean (of the fridge, not necessarily the van) doesn't matter much, even a slight side to side one starts to affect it's efficiency. Much more and it doesn't work at all.

I only carry quite low ramps but I am usually aiming at near enough rather than level. They can usually be raised if needed on a suitable rock or even a branch. (Probably frowned on by H&S aficionados nowadays though.) Also they can both occasionally be needed on the same wheel. If I can keep my beer, cheese and butter cold that will do.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dapple For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Never used them, but when I bought this van I found a set of the ramp type in a locker.

I have used ramps for servicing vans and cars - driving on is the same thing.

Quick tip If your van is front wheel drive then getting the front wheels up the ramp / chock is easier to mount and less likely to skid away. If rear wheel drive rear wheels are easier. The driven wheel will grip on. Final tip if you attach a short length 12 inches of mat to the ramp this helps eliminate the slipping ramp problem completely.

Jon

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCynth View Post
    John, you can buy 'Triple Levellers' which have three distinct levels for you to pull your wheel onto. I have a pair; it's much easier to tell when your wheel travels from one level to the next, though I've never had to go up onto the top level! The link below illustrates a pair of these; Kampa brand sold by BCH Camping, on special offer at the moment, including a small chock for the other wheel, much cheaper than Milenco even when they're at full price.

https://www.bchcamping.co.uk/Caravan...-Chunky-Chocks
    Cynthia.
    These look pretty good! However, these are just the chocks, if you don't already have the levellers, you will need these also.

https://www.bchcamping.co.uk/Caravan...pa-Chunky-Ramp

I have a pair of ordinary levelling ramps, the yellow variety. I have only ever used them once. That was in my campervan, and I had to manage all by myself, as I was the only person on the site! ULP! But it was really sloping... I gingerly reversed backwards until I felt more or less straight. Don't know how I didn't reverse over the top of them, but I had looked to see how far I needed to go back before I started and somehow managed it - in a series of stops and starts, a little bit at a time! Best if you can get someone to help if you can.

It's a bit easier with a small moho than it is with a caravan. I haven't needed to use them on campsites, as usually the pitches are pretty level. If I did need one, I would probably have to use the motormover to position it. The worst is when the van isn't level side to side and you just need to use one. It's easy to do the front to back bit just by using the jockey wheel.

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    These look pretty good! However, these are just the chocks, if you don't already have the levellers, you will need these also.

https://www.bchcamping.co.uk/Caravan...pa-Chunky-Ramp

I have a pair of ordinary levelling ramps, the yellow variety. I have only ever used them once. That was in my campervan, and I had to manage all by myself, as I was the only person on the site! ULP! But it was really sloping... I gingerly reversed backwards until I felt more or less straight. Don't know how I didn't reverse over the top of them, but I had looked to see how far I needed to go back before I started and somehow managed it - in a series of stops and starts, a little bit at a time! Best if you can get someone to help if you can.

It's a bit easier with a small moho than it is with a caravan. I haven't needed to use them on campsites, as usually the pitches are pretty level. If I did need one, I would probably have to use the motormover to position it. The worst is when the van isn't level side to side and you just need to use one. It's easy to do the front to back bit just by using the jockey wheel.
    Ummm, wondered why they were so cheap! The illustration made it look as though it was a complete kit! I've only ever had to use one leveller, with a chock on the other wheel. The nuisance is when you have already unhitched, not realising the unit is on a sideways squiff. You've either got to hitch back up again to tow the 'van onto a ramp or hope there's a kindly soul wandering about you can enrol to help push the 'van up on the leveller. Although Rosie's only a lightweight and I can push her on the flat, I haven't yet succeeded in pushing her onto a ramp and getting the handbrake on before she rolls off again! Oh, this caravanning's fun isn't it? I must admit that wherever I'm planning to go I'm always relieved when I read info on a proposed site that says 'level pitches'! If and when I change the 'van (will be upgrading eventually to enable me to take my grandchildren with me)I shall hope I get a unit with either a motor mover or a fridge that's not so temperamental!
    Cynthia

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCynth View Post
    ... The nuisance is when you have already unhitched, not realising the unit is on a sideways squiff.
    Cynthia
    I never remember... and have always managed to unhitch before I notice I'm on a sideways squiff!

Most of the time I just hitch up the steadies legs on that side, if it's only an inch or so... I know you're not supposed to do this though!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kernowjon View Post
    Final tip if you attach a short length 12 inches of mat to the ramp this helps eliminate the slipping ramp problem completely.

Jon
    I like to have rubber mats in the front foot wells to catch all the mud from getting in and out. A couple of holes in one end of them allows them to be quickly attached to the ramps when needed.

I have also used them to get moving on a muddy surface. The holes allowing them to be tied to the rear bumper so you don't need to stop to pick them up till you reach solid ground. They need to be quite heavy and well ribbed ones to give good traction. The softer, thinner ones can be quite slippy themselves.

They also get placed at doorways to give dry outside standing while putting muddy boots on.

I like to achieve at least dual use from camping equipment. These cheap mats pay their way and effectively use up no space at all.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dapple For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 781 Posts

Caravan club sites seem to always have almost perfectly level hard-standing pitches. Yet a large percentage of vans are on levellers. One a couple of pitches away is barely on the leveller, 3 or 4 cm off the ground. Given its a small 5m van that's at most a 1 in 125 adjustment to his level!

We do have levellers, used once in 6 years. Nearly used this last weekend at Chester Folk Festival where the site was very uneven and sloping but we got pitched in a nice level bit.

Mind you our fridge is usually on mains on sites and if we are wilding etc we would drive until we found somewhere vaguely level.

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

As we got our roof tent I got 2 of these

https://www.obelink.de/fiamma-level-...ory_id%3D10048

and the bag

https://www.obelink.de/fiamma-level-...ory_id%3D10048

and on the first outing used the spirit level app on the phone.

Now there is one of these glued next to the automatic gear shifter

https://www.google.be/search?q=round...6Mdm9QhrRsWAM:

We normally do not only want the car level, we also want it facing in a particular direction..depending on the site...

Easy peasy with those two, at the front or at the back, going on in reverse gear or foward..... on one site I used 2 underneath one wheel...

They never slipped, but if I could attach these

https://www.obelink.de/fiamma-anti-s...ory_id%3D10048

34. The Following User Says Thank You to NiedrigerIQ For This Useful Post: