Thread: caravan repair

Thanks

Default caravan repair

Does anyone know a good caravan repair garage in Dorset or Hampshire? Have spoken to a few who really do not want to know when I mention Romini 1987 van. I need all the 'towey' bits checked and window seals and electrics.

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

I know it is a bit further,but what about Ant - does he do tuggers. Your other alternative is the small "mobile" caravan engineer who will come to you to do the job.

Really the service falls into 2 parts -
    1. As you put it the towey bits - wheel bearing - running gear and road lights.

2. Habitation - gas pipes internal lights EHU zig unit.

If the tyres are an unknown quantity (you don't know how old they are) Then change them on principle - they age and deteriorate regardless of use. Especially if you have to tow the van to a service engineer. Any flexible gas hoses it is as well to change - they are date stamped because they deteriorate with age.

As these are simple little vans really anyone who owns and can use a Torque Wrench and a few simple tools should be able to service the van - Haynes produce an excellent manual.

Jon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not sure who Ant is or where he is?

My Unit
    nu venture surf
    Thanks

Ant from Avon Motor Caravans

http://avonmotorcaravans.co.uk/

kyran

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Not sure who Ant is or where he is?
    Ant is the person many people contact when they want help with the mechanics of their campervans. I believe he also does habitation checks.

Contact details: http://avonmotorcaravans.co.uk/?page_id=22

AVON MOTOR CARAVANS
    1 Ashford Road
    Redhill
    nr Bristol
    BS40 5TH
    Tel: 01275 472277
    Fax: 01275 472882
    Email: post@avonmotorcaravans.co.uk

OR

I would imagine any fairly local caravan dealer could do the habitation check for you, or advise where it can be done.
    Carpe diem!

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,786 Posts

Probably not much use to you but my cousin's son runs Columbian Caravans in Chesterfield.
    He overhauled my Romini brakes and replaced cables and also changed my tyres last summer. He fitted new wheel bearings too which unlike the other parts (except tyres) ARE available off the shelf).
    I think many firms will not entertain working on older caravans because replacement parts supplies have dried up. He had to modify brake shoes to fit and also have new brake cables MADE by a local form.
    Very happy with the towing and behaviour of my Romini now.
    He also did work on another Romini owned by a forum contributor too. But I have no feedback on that.
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NomadSue View Post

OR

I would imagine any fairly local caravan dealer could do the habitation check for you, or advise where it can be done.
    Sue it appears from Elly's post that the local dealers are all too heads up there own ..... to want the work.

Just a thought a company called Coastal Campers in Dorset may be worth speaking too. In Havant a second hand car dealer Rockett motors knows a mobile caravan engineer - he was doing work for him on an AutoSleeper when I picked up the Romahome from him.
    As I said if you are towing over to Ants it may pay you to go to a tyre place and change the tyres, better safe than sorry!

Jon

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,282 Posts

I get a mobile caravan engineer to check my caravan over. Plenty around, just google 'mobile caravan engineer+your nearest town).
    Running gear check - £60 approx
    Electric and gas check - £60 approx.
    Habitation check (not really necessary) - around £140+!

Window seals - a visual check first outside, looking for places the seals might not be stuck firmly to the van sides - if not, a good sealant to fix. Get someone to train a hosepipe over the windows, while someone else sits inside, watching for leaks. Same as above if there are any, on the inside. Worst case scenario, change the window seals for new ones, a big job but not impossible.
    Last edited by jayjay; 19-05-2017 at 11:41 AM.

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Window seals - a visual check first outside, looking for places the seals might not be stuck firmly to the van sides - if not, a good sealant to fix. Get someone to train a hosepipe over the windows, while someone else sits inside, watching for leaks. Same as above if there are any, on the inside. Worst case scenario, change the window seals for new ones, a big job but not impossible.
    Window seals - Roof Lights need a little explaining. These are all sealed using silicone sealant - silicone sealant is effective and a lot cheaper than other sealants! Unfortunately over time silicone dries out and shrinks - result leaks! NOT GOOD

The solution is invest in new sealant - a gun costs less than a fiver - Then choose either external grade Silicone Sealant - good for another 10 plus years or a more expensive non-setting sealant - the choice is yours.

For windows I use a blunt table knife to lift the rubber from the body and hook out the old seal - then the smame knife leads the nozzle of the sealant gun as we apply the new sealant - More is better than less use a plastic tool to carefully remove the surplus without dragging it away from the rubber.

Remove the roof lights - a simple screwdriver job and reseal. - Anyone who can decorate a room can do these simple jobs. Tools Sealant gun, screwdrivers, table knife, an assistant, stepladder!

When your done use JayJays hosepipe test

Jon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post: