Thread: Mercedes Vito Stimson Monaco - Mercedes Vito info please.

My Unit
    Currently a Conway Excel Folding Camper
    Thanks

Default Mercedes Vito Stimson Monaco - Mercedes Vito info please.

Hi all.

I having been monitoring this advert for a few weeks now. As usual, it's the other end of the country from me.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1726237422...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

We have briefly discussed it here before somewhere and it's been kicking around for a while now. The couple of things that put me off are a.) it's a Mercedes, so I'm not sure what insurance costs will be like b.) it's a Mercedes so I'm not sure how expensive it'll be to repair and c.) it's an automatic diesel and I'd been keen to know the average mpg that one might get.

Also, I think the current vendor prchased it for £5750 as I still have a link to the previous eBay listing......

If anyone is runing a Monaco or a generally a Mercedes Vito, I'd be keen to hear their experiences.

Ta!

Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,943 Posts

The biggest issue with Vito's, especially the early shape ones like this, is that they rot before your very eyes. Before worrying about MPG and servicing costs i'd want to be absolutely certain that this one has avoided the dreaded tin worm.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Mercedes W638

From what I have read and seen Rob has summed it up. Having said that I have seen some apparently rust free Vitos, generally those which are better cared for such as ones used for airport transfers etc where a poor appearance would put off the customer. It's the same with Transit vans where the Tourneos seem to last better. Metallic paint and regular attention seems to preserve them.
    I wouldn't invest in an old W638 model unless in very good order and would preferably look for a W639 post 2006 or 07 which I think have better corrosion protection but, if in good nick, will be correspondingly more expensive.
    Look up Mercedes Black Death too - leakage around the diesel injectors.

This might be of interest to you:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gener...lease-%3B.html

If it's a good one and suits your proposed use it might be worth the money. Seats look very like those in Stimson's Tirol so may need an overlay to level them up for sleeping.
    Hope you find what you want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Misted For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Currently a Conway Excel Folding Camper
    Thanks

Well, thanks for the great replies from the both of you.

I have done a bit research now and I think I'll give the Vito a miss. I was wondering why they seemed generally cheaper than other vans of the same age and now I know.

The Mercedes black death does seem a nightmare to deal with and could affect any Mercedes diesel of a similar age, across the range and also rust does seem to affect them a fair bit as well.

I know that virtually every make and model has their own problems but the Mercedes does seem to have extensive negative reports.

But please, Mercedes owners, convince me otherwise!

Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,943 Posts

I have PM'd you a link to a smart looking conversion on a Ford Transit Connect base. According to ebay it is local to you and currently very cheap. It doesn't have the pop top you want but if it goes as cheaply as it appears to be you would have plenty left in your budget to add one.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabloke View Post
    Well, thanks for the great replies from the both of you.

I have done a bit research now and I think I'll give the Vito a miss. I was wondering why they seemed generally cheaper than other vans of the same age and now I know.

The Mercedes black death does seem a nightmare to deal with and could affect any Mercedes diesel of a similar age, across the range and also rust does seem to affect them a fair bit as well.

I know that virtually every make and model has their own problems but the Mercedes does seem to have extensive negative reports.

Panda
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandabloke View Post

Panda
    I'm a mercedes owner and I cannot convince you otherwise. I wouldn't have a new one, but there again my 24 year old car is brilliant. No computers!
    My neighbour was a Merc commercial mechanic and he came to me one day and told me that they had a Sprinter van in with one brake light out so he changed the bulb. Still didn't work. He checked the bulb, it was OK. It turns out that there is one wire to the light cluster. It has 12v on it, and carried serial data from the Computer That Must Be Obeyed. The brake pedal sends a signal to The Computer That Must Be Obeyed. TCTMBO sends data along the wire superimposed on top of the 12v, to the brake light. The light cluster has Another Computer in it, which sees a signal from The Computer That Must Be Obeyed. The Another Computer (in the light cluster) sees this signal and connects the 12v to the brake light bulb. Except in this case, it didn't. New light cluster please - guess for yourself how much, but I can't imagine it being less than £300, can you?
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post: