Thread: Southern Motorhome Show, Newbury 19-21st May

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 978 Posts

Default Southern Motorhome Show, Newbury 19-21st May

I have only just realised it's the Southern Motorhome Show this weekend at Newbury Showground, Chieveley. What a good excuse to spend a weekend at my old home town!

I will enquire at the 3 local CS/CLs in the area and see how many spaces there are available, will get back to the Forum. Someone might fancy meeting up for the occasion? There may be camping at the showground itself but as it's usually very expensive to pitch on-site. I will stick with Plan A!
    Cynthia.

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,882 Posts

I think I might try to sneak in as a day visitor as we are going dahn saaf to visit my MIL in Swindon.
    I'll get groaned at of course but I haven't had any days out in my MH this year so I think I need a fix.
    I would like to specifically compare 'Show Prices' with what is on dealer's web sites to see if I can spot the difference. Also there is one dealers web site which is (possibly deliberately) quite confusing. It has a price for a model, then underneath it has 'Options Packs' but doesn't give any clue as to whether these options are fitted to the vehicle on offer, or whether these options are available but not fitted, and neither does it give a price for the options which itself would imply that they are fitted and included in the price.
    I am starting to do research into panel vans but I am extremely cautious about getting one and then feeling cramped and wasting money having to go back to a coachbuilt. I know where I can hire a panel van - in Germany, so going there and spending £500 hiring one would probably be better than buying one and regretting it.
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I have recently. A lot of panel vans have a fridge mounted at floor level, and the wardrobe above the fridge. As you have to get down on hands and knees to get stuff out of the bottom of the fridge, and yet to get something from the wardrobe you merely have to reach in without bending at all, and grab the coat hanger, why don't they put the fridge above the wardrobe? They will probably say it keeps the centre of gravity down, but I don't think it would be too bad to have the fridge above. I think that one make has changed in their new models so I would like to see that and ask the perfume-clad, gold Rolex wearing, medallion-necked salesman the question. Or the perfume-clad, gold Rolex wearing, lipstick and black Waxoyl clad female sales personage the question.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

My Unit
    Thanks

Andrew I will probably only visit the show on the Saturday, is that the day you're hoping to visit? I'll leave it a couple of days and see whether anyone else is going to come, but hopefully we can meet up for a cup of coffee sometime/somewhere in the showground.

The weather forecast is for sunshine and showers on the Saturday; don't forget your brolly - and your sunhat!
    Cynthia.

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,882 Posts

Sorry Cynthia, but I have to be back home on Saturday so if I do go it will be Friday although that in itself will mean a couple of other difficulties.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

My Unit
    Nu Venture Surf
    Thanks

Cynthia I am going for the day on sunday. Too late to meet up with you? I don't need another van but just fancy having a look around.
    Patricia

My Unit
    Thanks

Patricia thanks for showing an interest in meeting up but it would be difficult to change my plans..... I am hoping to go to the show on Saturday and make a day of it, and have a good walk up on the Berkshire Downs with Echo on the Sunday. There's no reason why I can't change that around. The only trouble is I have to be off the CL by 3pm on Sunday. Because it takes a while to pack up the folder I'd have to be back on site shortly after lunch which wouldn't give me a very long day at the show! (I wouldn't mind, but with a £7 entrance fee I feel I want to make the most of that!)

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful to either you or Andrew, but then it serves me right for trying to organise something at such short notice! Maybe I could get something sorted out for the South West Motorhome Show in September, which is at Shepton Mallet, here in Somerset.

Another issue with the Newbury show is that unless you want to pitch on site (and that is usually an expensive option) there are few other sites close by apart from a CS and a CL The CS proprietor refuses to host rallies or meets these days after having had problems with previous events so that leaves 1 CL and a few other small sites a bit further away. The CL I've booked is full anyway; I was only able to bag a pitch because someone had just cancelled!

I will investigate site availability around the South West show and see if there's anywhere suitable. She says. Makes mental note: check the show does not clash with another rally I'll be attending around the same time.....

So, Patricia, Andrew, another time maybe!
    Cynthia.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

PHM

My Unit
    Nu Venture Surf
    Thanks

Enjoy your day and your walks. Another time.
    X

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PHM For This Useful Post: