Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Double Skillet is back on sale

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 860 Posts

Cas, currently we have a collapsible silicon steamer that sits atop our saucepan. A larger one might work atop one half of a skillet. Liz is concerned the skillet would not be deep enough If not we'd need a separate steamer like in Sue's pan set which would be another own to bring and probably too much space. We use a steamer a lot, primarily for heating tinned veg.

Unfortunately we are unable to get to any meets this year so can't get to see a double skillet, or even better beg the use of one for a quick meal.

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 732 Posts

My largest stainless steel camping saucepan has the lid which doubles as a small frying pan.

It's too small for that really so if I'm boiling spuds I use it over the pan with baked beans or tinned peas in so heating them up at the same time.

My Unit
    R20 Lo (2013)
    Thanks

Looked at this and agree with others that the skillet set seems expensive for what it is

For £20 we picked up a pair of thick aluminium non-stick pans at ALDI that has a separate handle. The smaller one fits tighly inside the larger one upside down to make an oven

Ref 3-tier steamer we have cooked our potatoes / veg that way for years, but too bulky for the van

Ref diffusers, we have two - must remember to put one in the van! We use ours also to allow pyrex dishes to be transferred directly from oven to stove for making gravy, etc, or vice-versa for getting the contents piping hot before putting in the oven

Ref BBQ I'm definitely a charcoal man - real fire and real sense of danger, not to mention uncertainty around when the food will be ready (shall I put the potatoes on now dear ) Don't cook burgers - mostly chicken and fish and a few chipolatas to start off in case anyone is hungry and can't wait! Also have a frying pan with holes in so we can do stirfries with plenty of real BBQ flavour!

I recently bought a BBQ for about £30 from Argos (although I think is has gone up to £50 now). It has a lid with a rotating vent and also a vent at the back of the base. This not only helps stiffle any flames but also allows the BBQ to be used as as a hot smoker. Hot smoked salmon is delicious! Not hard to do and plenty of advice online

Like others we are usually on a hook-up these days so tend to cook mostly on electric. Our "best buy" is a Russell Hobbs multi-cooker. We use it nearly every day at home and take it camping with us. Could write a whole post on the different ways we have used it . . .maybe I will

Mike & Jane

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 860 Posts

Well we just bought a new cooking pot today! Liz had been wondering if a 14cm Zebra billy can will fit in the Mr D's Thermal Cooker. We measured carefully and went down to The Nordic Shop in Edinburgh (some lovely outdoor wear) yesterday to find out. Unfortunately it came down to a mm or two and we weren't sure do we popped back in on the bus today complete with Mr D saucepan to try. We now have a 14cm Zebra.

Why? It is stainless steel, it has an internal bain-marie type pan that should do veg and it fits inside the Mr D for storage. This means the convention saucepan which takes up valuable locker space will stay at home. We also picked up a diffuser later in the day.

This means we are probably not bothering with a double skillet.

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,395 Posts

The handle looks a bit lethal. I'll stick to my frying pan with a lid and little saucepan, I think.

The reason I stopped using the camping pan set I inherited was due to the handles, I'm clumsy and need proper ones I can grab easily.

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesdoctor View Post
    Looked at this and agree with others that the skillet set seems expensive for what it is

For £20 we picked up a pair of thick aluminium non-stick pans at ALDI that has a separate handle. The smaller one fits tighly inside the larger one upside down to make an oven
    They sound very useful but I can't find them on the Aldi website.

Were they sold as a set? Any clue as to name please?

My Unit
    R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 722 Posts

Seems like everyone manages in their own way with whatever option suits them. I have had a double skillet for years but don't use it so often now in the new van. I did find it very useful though and super versatile particularly when camping without any other cooking facilities except gas hob.

I found it exceptionally good to heat pies and pasties etc. It does act like an oven and can be turned to do both sides easily. The pans replace frying pans. I have even made bread in it. I used a packet mix and made the dough and kneaded it in the pan, left it it the pan to rise, re-kneaded it in the pan, left it in the pan and cooked it on the hob. It cooked really well and we had fresh baked bread with our tea. I keep it in the van now but hardly use it as I tend to eat salads with everything most days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was contemplating how to heat up a quiche / pizza the other day. These look promising for they. Her indoors is obsessed with quiche, for me it's more fray bentos pies

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123