Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Double Skillet is back on sale

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,343 Posts

Pauline is right, Brian.

Diffuser (a lot cheaper and takes up less space than a skillet pan set) under my frying pan with a lid. Hot pie sorted.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,501 Times in 2,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
    We don't barbeque. I've never really seen the point of it. It is difficult to control the heat and seems a lot of faff when there's a perfectly good cooker nearby, particularly those who barbeque at home.

Returning to topic, one possible use case for the double skillet for us might be to heat pies. We often see nice pies when we are out but have no way of heating them in the van. I'm assuming a double skillet would be ideal, providing the pie isn't too big to fit in it.
    Same here, no BBQ's for me, although I was rather taken with the little bucket BBQ's I saw on sale last year... but wondered how you clean them afterwards? I ended up just buying a few disposable BBQ's but they weren't a great success either, and so I went back to the perfectly good cooker in the van!

Yes, a diffuser underneath, and along with your pies, a few chips or potato wedges cook very nicely as well! I use mine for all sorts, it's also two frying pans/pans. The flat type of pies cook really well in them (slices?) and I use mine in the kitchen at home as well for this. I also have a three-tier steamer, but usually only take two out of the three away with me!

Edited to add, I have always used my double skillet for heating/baking garlic bread, or those nice little long life bun type loaves you can buy part cooked and sealed in polythene. Which makes a boring tin of soup into something a bit more interesting!
    Last edited by jayjay; 12-05-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added a bit more info

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,501 Times in 2,119 Posts

Do you remember the Mess Tins with handles anyone? I still have mine! You usually get one a bit smaller than the other, and these will cook in the same way as a small oven and was the way that the army chaps used to heat things up before we had the modern version. I've never used mine for that purpose though, so I don't know if it works as well!

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 3,253 Posts

Well I'm really disappointed in you lot not liking bbq's, we wouldn't go anywhere without one, we use one at home too. Everyone thinks of burnt burgers and sausages in connection with BBq's but as Pauline said if you are burning things you are doing it wrong, the best sort of BBQ is one with a lid if the flames start licking the food put the lid on to dampen the flames and they die down.

This is Steak and Chips Romahome style which we cooked in our Romahome Duo days using a BBQ for the steak and double skillet for the oven chips. How much would that have cost in a pub/restaurant?

steak and chips.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,539 Times in 1,943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Well I'm really disappointed in you lot not liking bbq's, we wouldn't go anywhere without one, we use one at home too. Everyone thinks of burnt burgers and sausages in connection with BBq's but as Pauline said if you are burning things you are doing it wrong, the best sort of BBQ is one with a lid if the flames start licking the food put the lid on to dampen the flames and they die down.

This is Steak and Chips Romahome style which we cooked in our Romahome Duo days using a BBQ for the steak and double skillet for the oven chips. How much would that have cost in a pub/restaurant?

steakandchips.jpeg
    It's not that i don't like them, i do enjoy a good BBQ. It's just that i don't favour a charcoal one over other types. We have a gas powered BBQ at home that we use extensively through the summer. It has lava rocks in it that impart a bit of that smoky BBQ flavour but with the convenience of gas. It's ready to cook on in about 3 minutes flat which means we can easily have a BBQ on any sunny evening when i get home from work without any prior planning. It's all the faffing about with coals and my clothes stinking of bonfires that i can't be doing with.
    Last edited by Rob B; 12-05-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 3,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    It's not that i don't like them, i do enjoy a good BBQ. It's just that i don't favour a charcoal one over other types. We have a gas powered BBQ at home that we use extensively through the summer. It has lava rocks in it that impart a bit of that smoky BBQ flavour but with the convenience of gas. It's ready to cook on in about 3 minutes flat which means we can easily have a BBQ on any sunny evening when i get home from work without any prior planning. It's all the faffing about with coals and my clothes stinking of bonfires that i can't be doing with.
    Well I guess it's all a matter of taste, our bbq was originally a gas one with lava bricks but we didn't like it at all, the food just didn't taste the same so we took all the innards out, chucked the lava bricks away and now we use it with charcoal.

As for faffing about we got one of these and it's made a huge difference to the time it takes to get the coals started.

http://amzn.to/2r8F90a
    Last edited by Rob B; 12-05-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

My Unit
    ih 630 sl n class
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 702 Posts

steak and chips.jpg
    i'll let you know later Graham!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Pauline is right, Brian.

Diffuser (a lot cheaper and takes up less space than a skillet pan set) under my frying pan with a lid. Hot pie sorted.

All round to yours for dinner next time we camp xx
    Cas @(*0*)@

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NomadSue View Post
    Oops! Well, there you go.

Bet Caz has had more dinner's cooked in My Double Skillet ... than her frying pan
    Cas @(*0*)@

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    Bet Caz has had more dinner's cooked in My Double Skillet ... than her frying pan
    i got mine from the double skillet co last year
    BuzznDave

16. The Following User Says Thank You to David stringer For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    Very likely. You're a better cook than me.

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

What sort of pans would you recommend for using with a diffuser to warm pies, etc?

I am assuming heavy ones with no coatings?

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 557 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dapple View Post
    What sort of pans would you recommend for using with a diffuser to warm pies, etc?

I am assuming heavy ones with no coatings?
    When I first saw the comment about using ordinary pans I thought that's great because I have heavy copper bottomed ones in the kitchen and I'm sure they would be fine.

However, I've hit a snag in that my newish electric cooker appears to be ceramic and I haven't yet found a diffuser that says it's safe with ceramic and I don't want to scratch the glass top

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks

I just use my non-stick one with a lid that I got from Tesco. The grease in the pie will stop it from sticking if you use a normal pan, I would think.

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandraM View Post
    However, I've hit a snag in that my newish electric cooker appears to be ceramic and I haven't yet found a diffuser that says it's safe with ceramic and I don't want to scratch the glass top
    I am talking about using it in the van to heat a pie up on the gas hob. In the house I use the microwave.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Very likely. You're a better cook than me.
    I just like to feed you x
    Cas @(*0*)@

Thanks

We don't barbeque. I've never really seen the point of it. It is difficult to control the heat and seems a lot of faff when there's a perfectly good cooker nearby, particularly those who barbeque at home.

Returning to topic, one possible use case for the double skillet for us might be to heat pies. We often see nice pies when we are out but have no way of heating them in the van. I'm assuming a double skillet would be ideal, providing the pie isn't too big to fit in it.
    Perfectly ….. you need to use the diffuser to spread the same heat evenly …. and you only need med-low heat
    Pizza do nicely too
    What you do in the oven can be done in the Double Skillet … even roasting joints/chicken
    Cas @(*0*)@

Thanks

steak and chips.jpg
    We BBQ with a Cobb .... can do a full roast dinner on it veg too ... but can't find pics

Sadly with the Mezan I have to pick what goes on what trip .... our Drifter used to carry everything in the luton lol
    Cas @(*0*)@

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 742 Posts

Like you Cas, our consideration is space. I know Graham had a barbeque in his Outlook but we go away for weeks/months at a time in our R20 and so EVERYTHING has to justify the space it takes. Even if we were into barbecuing we wouldn't normally take one away with us.

Liz's reservations re the double skillet are how it would double as a saucepan. We take frozen stews for the first few nights away and need a deepish pan to heat them. Our van cookery is basic and most meals are done with a saucepan (the type with two small handles either side) and a collapsible silicone steamer. We also carry a frying pan and vacuum flask for rice/grains if the steamer has veg.

The double skillet would definitely replace the frying pan but could we get rid of the saucepan too? Liz is concerned the skillet pans aren't deep enough and also wouldn't work with a steamer on top.

Thanks

Like you Cas, our consideration is space. I know Graham had a barbeque in his Outlook but we go away for weeks/months at a time in our R20 and so EVERYTHING has to justify the space it takes. Even if we were into barbecuing we wouldn't normally take one away with us.

Liz's reservations re the double skillet are how it would double as a saucepan. We take frozen stews for the first few nights away and need a deepish pan to heat them. Our van cookery is basic and most meals are done with a saucepan (the type with two small handles either side) and a collapsible silicone steamer. We also carry a frying pan and vacuum flask for rice/grains if the steamer has veg.

The double skillet would definitely replace the frying pan but could we get rid of the saucepan too? Liz is concerned the skillet pans aren't deep enough and also wouldn't work with a steamer on top.
    Not sure how the steamer might work ... but you can put the skillets onto of each other - then glass lid on top ... so cook two pans on one ring
    Cas @(*0*)@

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast