Thread: speed limet

My Unit
    2010 R20
    Thanks

Default speed limet

Hi Ant, please can you help I have a R20, my son has Citroen blingo and has been done for speeding at 70mph on the motor way, his been told the its a Light Goods Vehicle and can only do 60mph, my R20 tax class is also Light Goods Vehicle. My son has contacted Citroen and they are miffed by it.
    Thanks

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,633 Posts

According to the government website a motorhome or motor caravan, no more than 3.05 tonnes can do 70 on a motorway or dual carriageway, surely that is what you have but it doesn't help your son. Or does it depend on what the log book says?

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauline For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    nu venture surf
    Thanks

it depends on what the registration document says. take a few pictures of you camper and send it in to the dvlc and ask them to change it to motor caravan
    I have just done it for mine

Kyran

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kyran For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    2010 R20
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyran View Post
    it depends on what the registration document says. take a few pictures of you camper and send it in to the dvlc and ask them to change it to motor caravan
    I have just done it for mine

Kyran
    Thanks for that,

7. The Following User Says Thank You to camper man For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,364 Posts

"Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles" covers all Berlingo models. Even though a Berlingo van is classed as LGV, it is a car derived van so is allowed to do 70 mph on a motorway - unless he was towing? Or was it a "managed motorway" with a lower limit in force at the time?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,758 Posts

Nothing to do with this really, but I frequently drove a hearse. Hearses were licenced as heavy goods vehicles and were taxed by weight!
    At that time good Heavy goods vehicles were limited to 30 mph, but that Austin Sheerline with its 3 litre engine was capable of 100 mph.
    On duties other than actual funerals it was often used for long distances. Travelling at normal traffic speeds on dual carriageways etc. I often wondered whether I could be "booked".
    I suppose very few Police Officers realised it was a "Goods" vehicle/ And surely the same will apply to Motorhomes? And speed problems will only be followed up by the Police via DVLA looking for validity of driver licence etc. after blatant speeding?
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

I had heard the government has done one of those sneaky changes - interpretation - order in council whatever. So I took a look at the RAC website - updated 25th April 2017!

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/k.../speed-limits/

Note it is the redefinition of car derived vans - they give the example that the Transit Connect is not rated as a car derived van, I think a Berlingo would fall in the same category. That means my little Daihatsu falls in the same group! Sad but as always Her Maj's government have us bu the ***** & *******

Safest thing seems to be stick at 60 or you are liable to get into a debate.

On the Gvt website (Pauline's post) it is not as clear but below the table of speed limits is this paragraph
    Vans, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles
    Most vans:

have a lower speed limit than cars
    must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight
    Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

Now that is as clear as mud - but no doubt helps generate a lot of speeding fines!
    Jon
    Last edited by kernowjon; 12-05-2017 at 08:08 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As I understand it, as explained by a man at the now closed LVLO where we used to register new vehicles, It has to be said he was a bit confused too but after advice gave me this.

Tax glass PLG up to 3050Kg same as car
    Tax class LGV up to 3050Kg body type Car derived van 60mph
    Tax class LGV up to 3050Kg Body type Motor Caravan 70mph.

We went to a great deal of trouble to change the registration documents to get the body type changed to Motor Caravan before they were 1st registered, sometimes it worked, sometimes the documents just got rejected, sometimes they got changed back to van! It was a complete nightmare and a lottery as to how each vehicle was actually registered.

The key thing is to have the body type as Motor Caravan, if you haven't you can apply to DVLA with pictures and a letter from Romahome to get it changed, Romahome have a standard letter that just needs the vehicle details adding to it.
    Ant

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ant For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Roma. Duo. 2006 1.9 Hdi
    Thanks

Default R20 taxation class

Hi, Thanks to everyone, think I`d better stick to the lower limits ! It doesn`t look as though I`d save anything tax wise by changing to a motor caravan. Chris.

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Maybe it's me but doesn't it all seem rather strange?

You could have the same vehicle, if it's called a motor caravan on the registration document it can go 70 if not it can only go 60 ...

Why? It's the same van!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauline For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    was Berlingo R20 Hylo, now R30
    Thanks

Default More taxation confusion

Just to confuse the issue, a few years ago I took up with the DVLA as was to get a few discrepancies sorted on my registration book for my Romahome R30. Several weeks were spent on sending photos and correcting fresh errors they made each time. In the end I gave up. My registration book now reads-

Body type:- Motor Caravan
    Taxation Class:- Light Goods Vehicle
    Seating:- 3 (in actual fact it has 4 belted seats)

In the end you just have to give up, life is too short to spend it messing about with details for people who have no concept of what they are talking about. Graham (and Carole)
    Last edited by GeeCee; 17-06-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: taking out Private Light Goods

My Unit
    was Berlingo R20 Hylo, now R30
    Thanks

Default The final solution?

Further to the above, I have printed up a copy of the National Speed Limits in which it gives the speed limits for:-

Motorhomes or motorcaravans(not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight Single carriageway 50mph
    Dual carriageway 70mph
    Motorway 70mph

This section I have circled in red and am keeping the list in my glove pocket ready to do battle if stopped. Graham (and Carole)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeeCee For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Maybe it's me but doesn't it all seem rather strange?

You could have the same vehicle, if it's called a motor caravan on the registration document it can go 70 if not it can only go 60 ...

Why? It's the same van!
    Pauline, Cynically - because this allows the government to reap a large amount of revenue from the unsuspecting.
    CeeGee because your V5 says Motor Caravan you are OK. If my little Daihatsu exceeds 60 mph (FLAGS FLY) I get nicked as it is a pick-up.

Jon

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

is it a Light goods vehicle - 60 or a motorhome - 70.
    i considered getting mine changed to a motorhome for this reason as i can't demount now without major damage but i CBA.
    Bit harsh really though isn't it.

in other news my partner said she loved the speed awareness course she did and everyone should do it. so not all lost.

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
    Just to confuse the issue, a few years ago I took up with the DVLA as was to get a few discrepancies sorted on my registration book for my Romahome R30. Several weeks were spent on sending photos and correcting fresh errors they made each time. In the end I gave up. My registration book now reads-

Body type:- Motor Caravan
    Taxation Class:- Light Goods Vehicle
    Seating:- 3 (in actual fact it has 4 belted seats)

In the end you just have to give up, life is too short to spend it messing about with details for people who have no concept of what they are talking about. Graham (and Carole)
    Finally got round to checking ours - it says the same except it does say 4 seats!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauline For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Topaz on T4
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
    Further to the above, I have printed up a copy of the National Speed Limits in which it gives the speed limits for:-

Motorhomes or motorcaravans(not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight Single carriageway 50mph
    Dual carriageway 70mph
    Motorway 70mph

This section I have circled in red and am keeping the list in my glove pocket ready to do battle if stopped. Graham (and Carole)
    That's odd though that we can do the normal national speed limit on dual carriageway and motorways but not 60 mph on single?

Chris

My Unit
    Rapido club caravan
    Thanks

My Peugeot Partner is classed as an MPV and was taxed as a diesel car. No mention of PLG. strangely. It's now taxed as a disability vehicle so I suppose that makes me bomb proof at 70? Would taxing a motorhome as disabled get rid of this discrimination? A possibility.

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
    is it a Light goods vehicle - 60 or a motorhome - 70.
    i considered getting mine changed to a motorhome for this reason as i can't demount now without major damage but i CBA.
    Bit harsh really though isn't it.

in other news my partner said she loved the speed awareness course she did and everyone should do it. so not all lost.
    Llewellen its MPH not KPH My HiJet is doing her best at 50 to 55 with 60
    Jon

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYKE View Post
    My Peugeot Partner is classed as an MPV and was taxed as a diesel car. No mention of PLG. strangely. It's now taxed as a disability vehicle so I suppose that makes me bomb proof at 70? Would taxing a motorhome as disabled get rid of this discrimination? A possibility.
    You are confusing vehicle type with Tax Class.
    The speed limit is based on the type.
    Jon

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks

I think initially the Berlingo was only made as a van, the Multispace coming later.

So technically the Multispace is a "van derived car" rather than the other way round.

I thought I'd just throw that in to muddy the waters still further

(Ducks for cover)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Dexta For This Useful Post: