Thread: Going to France. Campsite suggestions please.

Thanks

Default Going to France. Campsite suggestions please.

Going to France with the Roma and a large awning plus bicycle. One person and a guitar.
    But....where?
    Don't won't to drive for 6 hours.
    Decent weather.
    Grass pitch preferably
    Basic facilities will do me as long as they're clean.
    Within cycling distance of a town....5 miles max.
    Help me out.
    Thanks.

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,919 Times in 824 Posts

Graham has a review of a campsite in Carnac in the reviews section - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGr...33FDCF2F5009&t

By coincidence we stayed at the same campsite 2 decades ago when canvas tent camping. Nice site back then and a good location, and, of course, if you are into antiquities Carnac is famed for it's menhirs and dolmens - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac_stones

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianTheSnail For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

Having said the above, with your outfit you might want to travel around a bit...going for adventure....

The Campings Municipaux, almost every village has one of them....I still have to find one I do not like...on our travels up and down France.....staying in the same spot for let's say a week might be a different matter...

http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 669 Posts

I second the camping municipals.

In the long ago days when we were adventurous and went camping abroad, we always sought out the CP.

They are usually, cheap, usually clean and with facilities and often are not far from the shops.

Sometimes we even got camping with electric for nothing. Ah those were the days

Thanks

Default France with a Romahome

I am off on May 11th, for four weeks.
    It is a big country. First pick your ferry route, which is influenced by your home starting point. I travel for a day from Lancs so prefer Portsmouth/Caen, which is not the cheapest but is a nice luxury cruise to start the hols. This drops you nicely into Normandy and Brittany, with in my case a night halt three hours from the terminal before getting to my favourite in Brittany, round the bay from Vannes, at a spot called Sarzeau. good touring centre with a choice of sites, and a good supermarket, near the town. Flat for easy cycling, and pine woods adjacent sandy beaches for leisure. Family run site at Camping Ferme de Lane Hoedic. Once there you will soon find you need to explore elsewhere and early in the season there is no need to book and lots of sites to chose from, and difficult to pick a disaster. Travelling is easy, fuel still cheaper and the sites cheaper than U K, with a universal welcome. If you want a biggish city, with a municipal site , on a tram route into town, I recommend Nantes, where the Loire meets the Atlantic, lots to do , with an active arts scene, and the home of the large mechanical puppets seen in Liverpool a few years ago. wherever you go you will have for fun, aided by the weather and a welcome from the locals. Language fluency not necessary, but life support skills are a help!
    Got right down to Provence last year, slowly and enjoyed every minute.
    The Channel coast from Cherbourg is nearer with a variety of beaches, cliffs and battlefields to explore.
    The main feature of French sites is that many are in town centres, with no need to travel miles for shopping or meals. the farther south you go, generally the better the weather!
    Have fun

QUOTE=razia;181310]Going to France with the Roma and a large awning plus bicycle. One person and a guitar
    But....where?
    Don't won't to drive for 6 hours.
    Decent weather.
    Grass pitch preferably
    Basic facilities will do me as long as they're clean.,
    Within cycling distance of a town....5 miles max.
    Help me out.
    Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

We hit France a 3 years ago, we sailed from Dover to Calais and headed south stopping now and again before we got to Mont Saint-Michel. We never had any booked stops and only stayed in municipal camp sites and like previously posted in this thread we found everyone to our liking. If you get a chance, try Camping Less Dunes, it's near a place called Granville and the walk to it by beach is amazing. The only thing I would do next time is take the ferry to Dieppe

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,805 Posts

I think you have to pay for camping municipals don't you? If like me you prefer free to paying, just drive wherever you like and look for a street sign which is white, rectangular and has a picture of a motorhome on it, with what looks like a bath of water under it. It will also have an arrow to the left or right indicating you should take the next left or right turning, and you will find an Aire de Repose. We have stayed at ones which are not only free but have free water, free electricity, free showers and toilets and one had a TV aerial socket for each pitch. It is this that makes going abroad cheaper than staying in England. Every town is compelled by French law to provide free overnight parking for motorhomes. I don't see the point of paying. The French government did an independent survey in the early '70s and concluded that if motorhomes stay in or near a town, they spend money in the shops there. How strange! In England they just say 'go away we don't want your money unless you stay in a councillor-owned camp site'.
    OK that's a generalisation but in many cases in towns with height barriers on car parks the camp sites are owned by councillors.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

Completely agree, that french camping network is probably the best in the world.......!

The free aires, we, with our rooftent, we are technically not allowed to use....only completely self contained vehicles....but its not eaten as hot as it is cooked....but defenitily no awnings....

The Municipals seem always to be in a nicer aerea, more greenery around...

Quite a lot of the Municipals close reception between 7 and 8pm, if you arrive later they all have a few spots outside at reception one can use, and the facilities..to check in next day....
    Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 06-05-2017 at 12:01 PM.

My Unit
    Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

I've been camping in France every year for the past 35 years (off again in five weeks) and I agree the municipal sites are the best value for money if you want a traditional campsite. The facilities can be basic but perfectly adequate, although they may only be staffed by the local council who will send someone in the morning, and again early evening to collect the fees.

I haven't used the "aires" as I prefer grass underneath my feet as opposed to a tarmac car park.

I use the Caravan & Motorhome Club's "Touring France" campsite book to seek out campsites. It's available for non members at a slightly higher price than members:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-s...ce-non-member/

John

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post:

Thanks

With regard to French Municipal sites, we used to use them very often, but in the last four years we have been driven off three times by itinerants ( Cos i don't think I'm allowed to say diddicoys). Noisy dirty horrible people.
    Sadly, the last lot in Metz were British!

My Unit
    2005 Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

I'm starting my third week in France at the moment and haven't had any trouble with itinerants on Municipal sites. I'm averaging €8 per night with the lowest price of €5

John

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

Didicoy

I'm a Romano Rai, just an old didikai,
    I build all my temples beneath the blue sky,
    I live in a tent and I don't pay no rent,
    and that's why they call me the Romano Rai.

Didi-a-didi-a-didi-di-kai, chavves,
    Tika-dika-tika-a-lai, (or can be; Kakka Chavve, Dekh akai)

Your Daddus tryin' to sell a mush a kushto grai.
    I'm a Romano rai, just an old didikai,
    I live in a mansion beneath the blue sky,
    I was born in a ditch, so I won't ever grow rich,
    But that's why they call me the Romano Rai.

Tikka, tikka, didikai, tikka, tikka, didikai
    That's why they call him the Romano Rai

Tikka-tikka-didikai, tikka tikka, didikai,
    That's why they call him the Romani Rai.

I'm a Romano Rai, a true didikai,
    My temple's a mansion beneath the blue sky,
    I'm a Romano Rai, a true didikai,
    just campin' around, on any ol' ground,

But that's why they call him the Romano Rai

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzTVAXXIKww
    Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 26-06-2017 at 09:12 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NiedrigerIQ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Municipals are alright - i find the facilities a bit basic some times although the crouch down toilets seem to be a thing of the past.
    Personally i find campsites so cheap in france id spend a bit more, unless you have a good toilet/shower on board. As France gets hotter than Britain and good cooling shower is essential in my book.
    Spend a bit more and get one with a shop etc and near a few things.

Her indoors speaks excellent french so we have stayed at some very basic french campsites for pennies. It always seems to be a mistake! I favour campsites populated with dutch, they always seem to be the best combination.
    I do like the airres as well in France.

My Unit
    Outlook Exclusive
    Thanks

We use a mixture of aires (dont stay on the motorway aires, they are not the same), France Passion, ACSI discount sites out of season and whatever else is about.

We are on a ferry to St Malo as I type this note. We are en route to one of our favourite campsites at St Briac sur Mer near Dinard. Not the cheapest but at 16€ per night is acceptable, we walk to the Boulangerie in the mornings to buy breakfast and have become friends with the owners.

Peter

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

France Passion......signed up for it...got the book and the sticker....last year....might have been the year before...never got around to visit any of there sites......but, great idea..!

https://www.france-passion.com/en/
    Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 26-06-2017 at 09:45 PM.