Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello, they're all at it now!

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,405 Posts

Yep, identical inside to my old one. I bet the dealer doesn't know.

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandraM View Post
    Just got John to check the MOT and it is classified as a motorhome so that's OK
    No Sandra it is not. The MoT says what the Tester sees - your V5C says what it is actually registered as and is the document to check.

My V5C (registration Document) says at D5 Body Type Pick Up Color Orange (color of the cab)

MoT says the color is Orange and White color of the cab and the pod.

Jon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brown View Post
    sounds like what the do to cars? a cut and shunt
    eg:-

screenshot.27.jpg
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-car...4AAOSwTf9ZVMhi

Not even a pickup but a cut down van. Just needs a bit more bolting down apparently.

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,882 Posts

A bit of T Cut will soon sort that out
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Thanks

Default Vans up to 3500kg have lower speed limits than car type vans od less than 2000kg

Quote Originally Posted by kernowjon View Post
    Hi Sandra - The vehicle speed is not limited PLG upto 3500 Kg three and a half tonns gross vehicle weight are allowed to follow the same speed limits as cars.
    Where there are no speed restrictions - 60mph on non dual carriageway roads. 70mph on Dual Carriageway and Motorways.

I have reregistered a couple of van conversions in the past. Along with the V5c and request to change bodytype to "Motor Caravan" they want about 6 photos - external - an external showing the number plate and part of the interior - internal showing bed(s) - internal showing kitchen area - internal showing other features - so one of the loo!

Here is the DVLA notes on how to do it.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...to-a-motorhome

Although I would be surprised if it has not been done - the demountable pods are a bit more of a question mark grey area. Obviously Donk DDs pick-up transforms from camper to van whereas many others are permanently campers.

Jon
    Jon is wrong here! vans of up to 3500kg are limited to 50 mph on single carriageway roads and 60 on dual carriageway, on motorways 70. You must be a car or car derived van or I believe be registered as a motorhome to drive at car speeds. Check with the dvla I did.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

screenshot.28.jpgscreenshot.29.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

From Bedfordshire Police re "Car derived vans":-

What is a "car derived van"?

Under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, a "car derived van" is defined as:- "A goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes."

The important word in this definition is "and" as there are goods vehicles that look as if they are based on a passenger vehicle, but when the manufacturer puts a gross laden weight on the goods vehicle, which is the design weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load that it is designed to carry, and this exceeds 2 tonnes, that vehicle is no longer a car derived van. The van becomes an ordinary goods vehicle under 7.5 tonnes gross weight, and is therefore subject to the speed limits as shown in the Highway Code.

As a "rule of thumb" any van larger than a Vauxhall Astra van will have a gross weight in excess of 2 tonnes and is therefore subject to the reduced "class of vehicle" speed limits. Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Mercedes Vito, Peugeot Expert and Ford Connect, for example, are restricted vans.

It is immaterial that a goods vehicle may be unladen at the time it is detected exceeding the speed limit. The construction of the vehicle that enables it to be used up to the 7.5 tonnes maximum weight is the relevant criteria.

http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/ad...ed_limits.aspx

Which suggests my own Peugeot Expert as a base vehicle would be "subject to the reduced "class of vehicle" speed limits".

But is exempted from these restrictions on the grounds of being classified as a motor caravan on the log book and so allowed to follow the same limits as cars and car derived vans.
    Last edited by Dapple; 20-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dapple For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dapple View Post
    eg:-

screenshot.27.jpg
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-car...4AAOSwTf9ZVMhi

Not even a pickup but a cut down van. Just needs a bit more bolting down apparently.
    LETHAL is the only way to describe that - hit a pothole and it will fold in half

Jon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,882 Posts

Just get your base vehicle re-registered as a BMW. Then no speed limit applies to you because you own all the roads. You are a quite nice chap though, allowing other cars to use your roads. Just so long as they get out of the way when you approach from behind.

Not that I am against BMWs of course. No. Not one bit. I am not prejudiced. Not at all.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12