Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bed sIze in a WILDAX CUTIE 4 (MICRO CAMPER)?

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,495 Posts

I seem to remember that RH is or was ?primarily? a boat builder? If that is the case perhaps they are more interested in boats than campers.
    Perhaps they do receive offers of take-overs but can't be bothered. There is a certain mentality that says 'I wouldn't know what to do with £4 million, so I'll just carry on as I am thanks, and I've got £500,000 in the bank which will see me out. I'm not greedy for money that I have no use for".
    There are a lot of 'small' fibreglass manufacturers in the country and any one of them is capable of creating a motorhome similar to RH. It would be interesting to work for AutoSleepers and get an insight into the costs involved in designing (not a lot, they do it all day long anyway), making moulds (a fair bit) and getting a new product to market (huge, I would think). You would need considerable manufacturing and marketing expertise to convert from a small fibreglass company making shower trays to one making motorhomes. Thinking about it, the staff at Lotus would probably have that knowledge. How about a LotusHome? If Maserati can make a huge 4x4 (which they do) why couldn't Lotus make a motorhome? Forget the mechanicals, they are cheap. Just buy some Berlingos or other small panel van or chassis cab and fill it with fibreglass moulds.
    I would think the health and safety requirements of fibreglass manufacture must be quite stringent, I guess the chemicals are a bit iffy and it stinks to high heaven. You would need some Very Big Fans.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

My Unit
    Romahome HyLo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 718 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    As for RH, I would be intrigued to know if AutoSleeper had investigated taking them over. Seemingly with the RH production capacity and the moulds one might have thought RH would be a good target for them. Maybe they did . . . . . They could have handled the manufacture and sales, and marketed the RH brand as an alternative to AS, as does Toyota and Lexus.
    I wish.... The impression I get is that the company with its assets of mouldings seems to be potentially going into liquidation then re-buying its mouldings back at probably less than market value via a new company still with the same staff. I could be wrong, of course, and probably am, but it isn't giving me a lot of confidence.

I met some of the AutoSleeper team last year and the impression I had was that they were very keen and enthusiastic about their own Mezan range and they came across as wholly dedicated and this alone gave me increased confidence in the company. BTW I don't think they do their own fibreglass mouldings which are subcontracted to another company in Gloucestershire which possibly owns the moulds.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karenw For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,875 Posts

We are VERY pleased with our newly-acquired Mezan which is proving much more suited to our needs than the R25.

And, bliss, the bed can be put up in minutes! Which means day / evening trips will be much easier than they were with the R25.

As we all know, the Mezan is very similar to the R20 campervans, with a few subtle improvements. We will be offering guided tours at the next rally.
    Last edited by NomadSue; 14-04-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    Carpe diem!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NomadSue For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karenw View Post
    I wish.... The impression I get is that the company with its assets of mouldings seems to be potentially going into liquidation then re-buying its mouldings back at probably less than market value via a new company still with the same staff. I could be wrong, of course, and probably am, but it isn't giving me a lot of confidence.

I met some of the AutoSleeper team last year and the impression I had was that they were very keen and enthusiastic about their own Mezan range and they came across as wholly dedicated and this alone gave me increased confidence in the company. BTW I don't think they do their own fibreglass mouldings which are subcontracted to another company in Gloucestershire which possibly owns the moulds.
    Hi Karen, I totally agree with all you say.I am interested that Autosleeper were talking about their Mezan last year, it has been out of production a long time, the Marquis dealer said that he thinks they were only made for about 3 years, and only about 150 made.The last few were sold under Autosleeper's basic range label as Orian Mira campervans. Autosleeper seem to have decided that the market wasn't big enough for the effort. He further added that when the dealers can get one, they sell fast.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian.C.S For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome HyLo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 718 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.C.S View Post
    Hi Karen, I totally agree with all you say.I am interested that Autosleeper were talking about their Mezan last year, it has been out of production a long time, the Marquis dealer said that he thinks they were only made for about 3 years, and only about 150 made.The last few were sold under Autosleeper's basic range label as Orian Mira campervans. Autosleeper seem to have decided that the market wasn't big enough for the effort. He further added that when the dealers can get one, they sell fast.
    Yes, out of production but I felt it was a model they liked - certainly the two blokes who visited to look at my RH were examining it very closely and commenting on the differences between the two, right down to the moulding over the rear door to prevent water ingress, and clearly knew what they were talking about. I assumed they were discontinued for the same reasons as the RH equivalents and asked this directly but the answer was rather vague...

I also added that I hoped the Mezan or a similar successor might be produced again in the near future. They seemed interested and muttered words to the effect that they hoped so too, but there were no definite answers re this. I wondered if there were issues with the ownership of the moulds - but am speculating here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to karenw For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NomadSue View Post
    We will be offering guided yours at the next rally.
    I hope your guided tours cost the punters less than the average of £60 per person that we paid on the cruise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,351 Times in 3,184 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    I seem to remember that RH is or was ?primarily? a boat builder? If that is the case perhaps they are more interested in boats than campers.
    As far as I know they don't build boats anymore but they do build other vehicles other than Motorhomes, when we had a tour of the factory we got very excited when we saw vehicles being build that we didn't recognise as any current Romahome model and thought they were doing a new model but we were told they had a big contract to build service vehicles for workmen so that they could make a cuppa, use the toilet or shower on site, they also made AA patrol vehicles at one time.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,805 Posts

A large part of the business now seems to be general grp repair and motor home refurbishment
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks

Slightly off topic which is I admit drifting a bit but this might help someone. One MH I had, had a cracked plastic wash basin which is very common. The manufacturers (Chausson) couldn't / wouldn't supply a replacement so I looked in Yellow Pages, found a local fibreglass fabricator on a small industrial estate and took them the plastic sink. They used it as a mould and made a perfect replica in fibreglass which of course was far stronger than the original. They were making a batch of fiendish thingies to transport athletes around the Olympic Park in London. I am pretty sure that if you want something made, going to such a place is a relatively economic prospect. They charged £90 for the wash basin which is more than you would pay for a plastic one but it solved the problem for not a huge outlay. I reckon if you were doing a self-build motorhome you could consider getting some fitments made in fibreglass.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

This thread has gone a long way off topic so I'll continue!

It must've been a strange meeting at Romahome when they were designing the layout of my 2005 Outlook: "The sink is right at the back on the nearside - where shall we put the water tank?" "Obvious! As far away from the sink as possible behind the driver!" "OK, The's sorted then - what about the gas bottle storage?" "Obvious again! In the hatch on the opposite side to the stove and fridge of course! That way the pipes will be twice as long!"

Genius!

John

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 698 Posts

John - you've forgotten the bit about the 240v mains socket being on the opposite side of the van to the 240v capable fridge and Zig charger unit, with the breaker box in a totally different opposite corner again. In the Pullman the single 240v socket is directly below the little table that is the back of one of the Pulman seats (meaning that it is never used) so using an electric kettle means trailing a lead across to the other table flap, or cooker top, or putting the electric kettle on top of the sink next to the water tap (water and electricity together never inspires me with confidence)

If I were redesigning the Duo/R20/Mezan:

• Two 240v sockets one, either side of the van
    • A larger gas locker to take two 3.9Kg Propanes (or one 6Kg Gaslow or equivalent)
    • A grill that worked effectively or a small oven
    • A redesign of the bench seats to make more comfortable - I have an idea
    • Padding on the walls at the side of the windows as a back rest
    • A couple of easy egress points to allow feeding cables for external devices such as solar panels
    • Optional roof mounted solar panel
    • Several 5v charging/USB power sockets
    • General modernisation, LED lights, option of built in speakers for a radio/CD/MP3 device in the lounge
    • Retractable rear step - probably have to come off the chassis rather than be bolted to the GRP
    • Better draught proofing of rear-door and fridge vents
    • Built in hooks to allow curtain pole over the rear door (our suction ones fall down occasionally)
    • Better design of the battery/Zig locker to make some usable space in the locker - I barely use it worrying about blocking Zig vents

Can anyone explain why on the R20 etc the long padded board velcroed to the side of the van and intended to be used to extend the bed has two rubber door stops attached to it which fit into holes in the inner GRP skin? Unless those holes are necessary as some sort of vent they are annoying sources of draughts. Our board was bowed so we replaced it with MDF which we reupholstered and we used some larger bungs to block the holes a little better but they are still vents for cold air.

To be honest - for us the R20 is almost perfect. The sink/loo design is brilliant. The widow pelmets and luton are great storage areas where stuff is relatively easy to access rather than having to upend seats to firkle in lockers. Its main drawbacks are moderately uncomfortable seating compared to some vans, the single gas locker and awkwardness of getting cables from inside to outside for a solar panel etc.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianTheSnail For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks

The same as ours then.

I've already commented on the fact to my husband because it doesn't seem logical to have gas stove one side with the water tank and sink the other side with the gas bottle cupboard.

I suspect it may have something to do with the positioning of the waste tank since I doubt if fresh and waste water tanks could go the same side.

Maybe payload/balance. If both tanks were full it would make the van lopsided.

Personally, if I had one made for me (fat chance) I wouldn't have an onboard waste tank at all, and maybe a cupboard for a removable water bottle.

In my dreams eh!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SandraM For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,351 Times in 3,184 Posts

Did the original starter of this thread ever get his question answered?

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

My Unit
    Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandraM View Post
    The same as ours then.

I've already commented on the fact to my husband because it doesn't seem logical to have gas stove one side with the water tank and sink the other side with the gas bottle cupboard.

I suspect it may have something to do with the positioning of the waste tank since I doubt if fresh and waste water tanks could go the same side.

Personally, if I had one made for me (fat chance) I wouldn't have an onboard waste tank at all, and maybe a cupboard for a removable water bottle.

In my dreams eh!
    That's exactly what I would do - have a drain pipe from the sink through the floor so a waste container could be placed outside and emptied as and when necessary. No impossibly slow draining sink then! A removable water container under the sink with a submersible pump, would be much better than a ridiculously long pipe from the front offside to the rear nearside of the vehicle.

I've decided to abandon the inboard water tank and just use a 10L jerry can, as trying to prime the Whale pump every time drives me nuts, and on my recent trip, the non-return valve behind the offside panel came adrift with the resulting mini flood! More trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

Other than that I love my Romahome!

John

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Did the original starter of this thread ever get his question answered?

No

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheSnail View Post

To be honest - for us the R20 is almost perfect. The sink/loo design is brilliant.
    ? Does that mean the sink and the loo is one item that you use for both purposes?

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,297 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    This thread has gone a long way off topic so I'll continue!

It must've been a strange meeting at Romahome when they were designing the layout of my 2005 Outlook: "The sink is right at the back on the nearside - where shall we put the water tank?" "Obvious! As far away from the sink as possible behind the driver!" "OK, The's sorted then - what about the gas bottle storage?" "Obvious again! In the hatch on the opposite side to the stove and fridge of course! That way the pipes will be twice as long!"

Genius!

John
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraM View Post
    The same as ours then.

In my dreams eh!
    My C15 was the same, couldn't understand it at all. Can't have been because of the waste tank either, because it didn't have one. I'd have thought swapping them around wouldn't have made much difference to the balance. In fact it may have improved it because the heavy stuff - water tank, cooker & fridge - were all on the drivers side along with the driver! Moving the water to the left would have been an improvement. The gas was neither here nor there because I always carried a second 907 bottle in the locker on the right anyway.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Default DSK are rebranded DFM

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    It may not be a permanent withdrawal. From what i've heard the UK importer has pulled out of the agreement but DFSK are seeking another.

DFSK are owned by Dong Feng Motor, a huge player in the Chinese automotive industry. They also own a significant chunk of the PSA group, which in turn owns Peugeot, Citroen and DS and has just agreed a deal to buy Opel/Vauxhall - at least partly financed with Dong Fengs money. It could well be that DFSK vans will be sold through existing PSA/Vauxhall dealers in the near future. That said the Loadhopper van, on which the Wildaxe is based, was about at the end of its lifecycle and was due to be replaced anyway so it will be a different van that returns to the UK market if it happens.
    You were correct!!! Hi Rob and anyone else - especially those of us with much loved demountable pods. The DSK has reappeared branded as a DFM according to the pics on this dealers website - no other changes
    http://www.knightcottmotors.co.uk/pages/dfm
    So maybe the new Romahome demountable will start appearing
    Jon

My Unit
    2005 Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

This website contradicts that info though:

http://ryanvehicles.com/ryandfsk/about-us/

ABOUT DFSK VAN | DSFK MINI VANS
    The story of DFSK can be traced back to DFM (Dongfeng Motor Group, China), originally founded in 1969. 2003 saw DFM start the production of mini vans, following the establishment of Dongfeng Yuan Vehicle Co Ltd.

Now known as DFSK Co Ltd the company is China’s second-largest vehicle manufacturer.

John

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDL View Post
    This website contradicts that info though:

http://ryanvehicles.com/ryandfsk/about-us/

ABOUT DFSK VAN | DSFK MINI VANS
    The story of DFSK can be traced back to DFM (Dongfeng Motor Group, China), originally founded in 1969. 2003 saw DFM start the production of mini vans, following the establishment of Dongfeng Yuan Vehicle Co Ltd.

Now known as DFSK Co Ltd the company is China’s second-largest vehicle manufacturer.

John
    Hi I followed your link and initially I thought the same as you, until I realised Ryan Vehicles are not a dealer - they are a finance company. What they do is arrange the financing of leasing packages. Try looking for a DFSK dealer, and check the date the website was last updated - there are a lot of old sites out there.
    Jon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123