Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bed sIze in a WILDAX CUTIE 4 (MICRO CAMPER)?

Thanks

Default Bed sIze in a WILDAX CUTIE 4 (MICRO CAMPER)?

Hi

Does anyone know the length and width of the single beds in this micro camper? I cannot find this information anywhere. Link on WILDAX website leads nowhere.

Thanks

Ian.

My Unit
    Peugeot Stimson Tyrol
    Thanks

You stirred my curiosity.

This vid from Wildaxe claims 6ft 4 in but doesn't mention width. Which I would suggest is narrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfd1H7Rrj2g

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dapple For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dapple View Post
    You stirred my curiosity.

This vid from Wildaxe claims 6ft 4 in but doesn't mention width. Which I would suggest is narrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfd1H7Rrj2g
    Thanks. Surprisingly, I have just read something claiming that its engine produces high CO2 emissions and so it has a high road tax. Use of the stove looks to require a degree of physical flexibility which may be beyond me!

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 832 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianjwinfield View Post
    Thanks. Surprisingly, I have just read something claiming that its engine produces high CO2 emissions and so it has a high road tax. Use of the stove looks to require a degree of physical flexibility which may be beyond me!
    That's some useful information Ian; I keep looking at these little 'vans as a move from folding caravan to camper van, but I wouldn't want to take on something that's highly polluting. I wonder where the opposition sits on the scale? (Nissan Vanette, Suzuki Carry etc).
    Cynthia.

My Unit
    2005 Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

I think the Wildax Cuites were converted from panel vans so their road tax won't be based on emissions only engine size so that will be £140/year.

Every vehicle has to comply with whichever Euro standards are relevant at the time of manufacturer, so I don't see how they can be any more polluting than any other 1.3 petrol engine.

John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDL View Post
    I think the Wildax Cuites were converted from panel vans so their road tax won't be based on emissions only engine size so that will be £140/year.

Every vehicle has to comply with whichever Euro standards are relevant at the time of manufacturer, so I don't see how they can be any more polluting than any other 1.3 petrol engine.

John
    The following link contains the statement 'The Cutie boasts around 200kg of user payload, as well as a 77bhp 1.3-litre petrol engine that should be more than potent enough to cope with its maximum weight of 1573kg. The engine does produce 184g/km of CO2, though, meaning that it will fall into the relatively expensive £215 per annum vehicle tax bracket, with a first-year rate of £325.'

Read more at http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/ne...XmtPgbWEQRK.99

I am no expert in these matters, but I do find it all a bit surprising.

My Unit
    2005 Romahome Outlook
    Thanks

I think the Practical Motorhome statement is wrong.

The Wildax Cutie was converted from a panel van so is taxed as a commercial vehicle and not based on emissions.

John

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnDL For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Do not get over excited because for some reason DFSK have ceased importing into the UK. There website is down and a dealer in Carlisle (main agent) says on their website DFSK has pulled out completely.
    No where can I find a statement from the Chinese DFSK saying why what has happened etc.
    If you are looking at Microvan based campers my advice would be stick with Daihatsu or their successor Paggio Porter, (same van different name); or the evergreen Suzuki Super Carry.
    Jon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kernowjon For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kernowjon View Post
    Do not get over excited because for some reason DFSK have ceased importing into the UK. There website is down and a dealer in Carlisle (main agent) says on their website DFSK has pulled out completely.
    No where can I find a statement from the Chinese DFSK saying why what has happened etc.
    If you are looking at Microvan based campers my advice would be stick with Daihatsu or their successor Paggio Porter, (same van different name); or the evergreen Suzuki Super Carry.
    Jon
    That is the new Romahome demountable knackered then! The Bailey family have a record of making losers.

My Unit
    Pennine Pullman Folding Camper
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,719 Times in 2,009 Posts

It may not be a permanent withdrawal. From what i've heard the UK importer has pulled out of the agreement but DFSK are seeking another.

DFSK are owned by Dong Feng Motor, a huge player in the Chinese automotive industry. They also own a significant chunk of the PSA group, which in turn owns Peugeot, Citroen and DS and has just agreed a deal to buy Opel/Vauxhall - at least partly financed with Dong Fengs money. It could well be that DFSK vans will be sold through existing PSA/Vauxhall dealers in the near future. That said the Loadhopper van, on which the Wildaxe is based, was about at the end of its lifecycle and was due to be replaced anyway so it will be a different van that returns to the UK market if it happens.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 832 Posts

Jon
    Not the Nissan Vanette, Jon?
    Cynthia

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,889 Times in 3,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.C.S View Post
    The Bailey family have a record of making losers.

That's a bit strong Ian, the Romahome brand has been very successful and has a lot of happy customers on this forum. The Bailey family also read this forum let's not start dissing them.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome HyLo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 735 Posts

My view, FWIW, is that creating a pick-up RH on the DFSK base was a step in the wrong direction for Romahome producing a conversion which had worked in the distant past paying little regard to the fact its customer base is now largely middle-aged/retired and hardly in the market for a pick-up! I have yet to see one on the road and suspect it has not enjoyed the success hoped.

I've been a Romahome fan since the 80's and will remain so. However, I wish its successive company (not sure of current name....) would be a little more pro-active and devise another of its unbeatable practical designs on a widely-available, tried and tested vehicle such as the Berlingo, but without the rear overhang modification and therefore not restricted by ESP. The R10 is good and shows it can be done, but this is too small for many users and has a restricted market.

There is a clear market for 2-berth micro-campers as witnessed by the increasing number of companies producing their own conversions. It is undeniably competitive but the Romahome brand name is strong and I think there is still potential for RH to become market leaders again. You only have to read the eBay and other listings of vans for sale to see the Romahome name being erroneously used to describe small campervans by other converters, with Romahome almost synonymous with mini-motorhomes just as Hoover has become to vacuum cleaners.

Sadly, my impression is of a loss of interest in the market but I hope I am wrong and that there may be a new and innovative Romahome model launched for its dedicated and loyal current and future customers. It isn't too late.... (RH successors... are you listening? Hint.... Please..... )

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karenw For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCynth View Post
    Not the Nissan Vanette, Jon?
    Cynthia
    The Vanette has been out of production for a long time now Cynthia. I think the last ones were made in 2002/03

Likewise Daihatsu and Piaggio offerings are no longer officially available in this country, although grey imports are possible.
    Last edited by Rob B; 29-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karenw View Post
    My view, FWIW, is that creating a pick-up RH on the DFSK base was a step in the wrong direction for Romahome producing a conversion which had worked in the distant past paying little regard to the fact its customer base is now largely middle-aged/retired and hardly in the market for a pick-up! I have yet to see one on the road and suspect it has not enjoyed the success hoped.

I've been a Romahome fan since the 80's and will remain so. However, I wish its successive company (not sure of current name....) would be a little more pro-active and devise another of its unbeatable practical designs on a widely-available, tried and tested vehicle such as the Berlingo, but without the rear overhang modification and therefore not restricted by ESP. The R10 is good and shows it can be done, but this is too small for many users and has a restricted market.

There is a clear market for 2-berth micro-campers as witnessed by the increasing number of companies producing their own conversions. It is undeniably competitive but the Romahome brand name is strong and I think there is still potential for RH to become market leaders again. You only have to read the eBay and other listings of vans for sale to see the Romahome name being erroneously used to describe small campervans by other converters, with Romahome almost synonymous with mini-motorhomes just as Hoover has become to vacuum cleaners.

Sadly, my impression is of a loss of interest in the market but I hope I am wrong and that there may be a new and innovative Romahome model launched for its dedicated and loyal current and future customers. It isn't too late.... (RH successors... are you listening? Hint.... Please..... )
    I was interested in what you wrote, although I would disagree with you in some areas - and at times I did not understand what you wanted.

In your opinion should RH be building mid to medium size conversions? Entering into competition with many other converters - Auto Sleeper, Triago etc. Or should they be primarily aiming at the micro-camper market - you state it is clearly a growing market. If this is where RH should be aiming then is not a new demountable model a good idea? The small demountable is a product unique to RH - it has a lot of marketing USPs.

The DFSK was to be on the 4 seater big cab - lots more room and not just a 2 seater (a drawback for some of the small pick-ups. Personally (being a bit anti-social a plus point) Hopefully Rob is correct and the DFSK will reappear and with it the RH demountable.

If anything I believe RH should do more work on the jacking system for removal. Most other demountables - NorthStar SunSeeker have a better jacking system for body removal. That said DD seems to have it sussed.

The demountable brings a lot of advantages to the builder - no type approval etc - there are the advantages of having USPs which the competition does not have.

A final point driving the pick-up in the winter time - in your big van conversion warming up takes ages as you have a lot of air to heat - the pick-up cab is warm in no time - shortly after we are considering wether or not to open a window. I'll have my pick-up based camper over a van conversion any time. BTW I am no spring chicken at 68 nearly 69 and my partner Sandra is 4 years older.

Jon

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    The Vanette has been out of production for a long time now Cynthia. I think the last ones were made in 2002/03

Likewise Daihatsu and Piaggio offerings are no longer officially available in this country, although grey imports are possible.
    Funnily enough we saw a Piaggio 3 wheeler at our local farm shop today, they always remind me of my brief spell in Rome when we saw thousands of them all over the place!

My Unit
    Thanks

There was a thread on here recently about the new iteration of the Romahome company and im sure the guy who posted from WeCover stated they were building/selling one D20 a month which is not bad going for what was always going to be a niche vehicle.

One point though the DFSK big cab was not a 4 seater, just an extended 2 seater king cab. Theoretically though they could have mounted it on the 4 seater double cab.

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    There was a thread on here recently about the new iteration of the Romahome company and im sure the guy who posted from WeCover stated they were building/selling one D20 a month which is not bad going for what was always going to be a niche vehicle.

One point though the DFSK big cab was not a 4 seater, just an extended 2 seater king cab. Theoretically though they could have mounted it on the 4 seater double cab.
    But it appears to be almost impossible to get a new R20.

(But this is a Romahome discussion hijacking the thread!)
    Carpe diem!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NomadSue For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NomadSue View Post
    But it appears to be almost impossible to get a new R20.

(But this is a Romahome discussion hijacking the thread!)
    Mea culpa

My Unit
    Romahome HyLo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 735 Posts

I was interested in what you wrote, although I would disagree with you in some areas - and at times I did not understand what you wanted.

In your opinion should RH be building mid to medium size conversion No - small vans where their strength and reputation lie. Entering into competition with many other converters - Auto Sleeper, Triago etc. Or should they be primarily aiming at the micro-camper market - you state it is clearly a growing market., Yes, very much so.. If this is where RH should be aiming then is not a new demountable model a good idea Absolutely not in my opinion. The small demountable is a product unique to RH - it has a lot of marketing USPs. For anyone requiring a pick-up, it has. But is this really the RH market?

The DFSK was to be on the 4 seater big cab - lots more room and not just a 2 seater (a drawback for some of the small pick-ups. Personally (being a bit anti-social a plus point) Hopefully Rob is correct and the DFSK will reappear and with it the RH demountable.

If anything I believe RH should do more work on the jacking system for removal. Most other demountables - NorthStar SunSeeker have a better jacking system for body removal. That said DD seems to have it sussed.

The demountable brings a lot of advantages to the builder How many RH owners, ie mostly middle-aged and active retireds are builders and in need of a pick-up?!- no type approval etc - there are the advantages of having USPs which the competition does not have.Perhaps there might be a reason no other converter has opted for the demountable approach for a 2-berth micro-camper....

A final point driving the pick-up in the winter time - in your big van conversion warming up takes ages as you have a lot of air to heat - the pick-up cab is warm in no time - shortly after we are considering wether or not to open a window. I'll have my pick-up based camper over a van conversion any time I am pleased you are enjoying your van. It's an attractive conversion internally but I still feel RH has taken the wrong path with it. Time will tell. BTW I am no spring chicken at 68 nearly 69 and my partner Sandra is 4 years older.

Jon
    RH (or whatever the current successor name is....) already seems to have the medium-sized van covered with the R30. I was referring to the smaller vans, ie the replacement for the current R20.

I feel taking a demountable approach is a mistake and RH heading in the wrong direction. RH's market is largely the middle-aged once the kids have left home, active-retireds, a smaller number of solo females and far fewer solo males, based on my observations. There don't appear to be many young couples, including the builders you refer to, ie those who are potentially more likely have have a use for a pick-up.

RH doesn't target the family market which would be younger and potentially have more need for a pick-up. Active-retireds don't traditionally need or want pick-ups and, even through reading through this forum, it appears that many RH owners also run a car. Reading between the lines, and on speaking directly with RH owners off the forum, I haven't found any great demand from owners needing a pick-up and it appears to be a restrospective step to revert to this approach. I felt RH had decided to take this direction because it had worked in the past, but the market has changed, times have changed and RH should be asking its market what it actually needs and wants, rather than producing what they feel they can produce, albeit well. What market research was undertaken? Any?

Personally, if I were looking to buy a van (or pick-up), I would be looking for a tried and tested vehicle with good availability of parts for the 10 - 20 year life of the vehicle. I would be doubtful whether DFSK could promise this which alone would put me off this as a base vehicle.

I feel RH's strength is in its smaller-van conversions such as the Berlingo. Yes, many other converters are focusing their attentions here too but it is clearly a growth market and using its talent for creating practical designs and moulded units, I am sure RH has the skill and ingenuity to create something superior to the rest of the, often relatively tacky, conversions available. The company already has the brand name, image and customer loyalty which sets it apart from the competition, and I feel they should be focusing on this to create a Berlingo/Kangoo/similar replacement for the R20. However, my impression (and I could be wrong) is that the company is losing interest and its profile is slipping. Even now, I'm not even sure of their current name which isn't a good sign in itself.

I have a fear that in 10 years time there may be no Romahome/Addabak/We-Cover or whatever... in existence. I hope I am wrong but I don't feel I am being unduly cynical. Sadly.
    Last edited by karenw; 29-03-2017 at 08:49 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to karenw For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast