Thread: Curtains in a romahome

My Unit
    Romahome C15 Hy/lo
    Thanks

Default Curtains in a romahome

Does anyone know if the curtains in a romahome are synthetic or cotton? The old curtains in chitty have worn well over the years but certain parts are sun bleached, the wife said that dying them would be fine provided she went a darker colour but with no labels on the curtains it's difficult to say what they are made from. The old curtains are orange, sounds gross but they obviously looked good when new. I said to the wife why don't we just get new ones made save all the hassle but she insists on trying to dye the old ones first. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,350 Times in 1,808 Posts

Sorry I can't answer your question, but you have reminded me of a time when I tried to dye some cheap beige curtains dark green. The end result was beige curtains with dark green linings! So you are very wise to check the material first.
    Carpe diem!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NomadSue For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 653 Posts

Again we don't know but I did remember the 'burn test' - might this help http://images.taunton.com/downloads/...Test_Chart.pdf - of course you only test a spare loose thread; attacking the curtains with a blowtorch is not recommended

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianTheSnail For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome C15 Hy/lo
    Thanks

Thanks everyone.

We took a chance on the result, if she ruined them I'd have to pay for new ones. I fell for that agreement with out even thinking

She has just this minute taken them out of the washing machine and what was dull, patchy and faded Orange curtains are now brown. The photo doesn't do them justice and the colour in the photo isn't quite the same as looking at them here, we are both pleased with the results and no one more than me.

When I seen the dye pack I thought OMG! what a horrible colour but now they are hanging out to dry they do look a million times better than they did this morning..

WP_20170320_16_15_29_Pro (Medium).jpg
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Brown For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks

I was thinking of your curtains when I was walking back from my slimming world meeting (Goodness me, I really ought to get a life!!) and when I got back I was going to suggest that since your offered to buy new ones you might as well take a chance and dye at least one to see if it works.

Pre-empted me eh! (or a question of great minds thinking alike. I'll go with that I think!!)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SandraM For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome C15 Hy/lo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandraM View Post
    I was thinking of your curtains when I was walking back from my slimming world meeting (Goodness me, I really ought to get a life!!) and when I got back I was going to suggest that since your offered to buy new ones you might as well take a chance and dye at least one to see if it works.

Pre-empted me eh! (or a question of great minds thinking alike. I'll go with that I think!!)
    Hahaha it gets me like that too Sandra lol but I think I was conned into getting new ones lol... She didn't take a chance with just one, she threw the lot in at once lol
    They seem to look even better now they are dry, took her into town this evening to buy another dye just to keep back in case the sun if we have a summer fades them, someone said they have batch numbers and as it worked well I offered to buy the other dye. I spoil her don't I?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Brown For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks

Just out of curiosity (I dyed many a thing in the past when I couldn't replace them) did the faded parts also take the dye well?

Good old Dylon. In fact I still have some of the little containers knocking around somewhere (some from my mum's time and she's been dead over 30 years!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SandraM For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome C15 Hy/lo
    Thanks

Yes they did take the dye excellent. All of the curtains came out a single colour all over and all the same shade. It has to be the material that has taken the dye so well, they feel like a crushed velvet but I'm no expert on material and it could well be something else but I know it's taken well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Brown For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome C15 Hy/lo
    Thanks

Doughnut here forgot to get a photo today after the dyed curtains were put back into chitty and I have to say they do look pretty good and we are both well pleased with the results of dylon.

One annoying thing is that the curtains next to each side windows are dummy's and only there for the looks. I had to remove the curtain pelmets, each had 3 screws and on removal you could see the curtains are just stapled in place. With the blinds down you can't see in the van with the lights on and they are more like black-out blinds so just as well with curtains stapled in place lol