Thread: Air Con.

My Unit
    Dimension
    Thanks

Default Air Con.

I know it's not a motor home but it is a Tech. thread, I put my Ford Focus in for a Major service & MOT & thought I would have the A/C checked being the car is 10yrs old was informed that there was no gas & it wouldn't hold the pressure test it goes in Wed. for a check + repair so no doubt a big bill the service + mot was £295 all passed which was a relief.
    I thought maybe there was a problem with the A/C I found that if the windows steamed up they wouldn't clear with the A/C on.
    Pete

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,299 Posts

The air con on one of mu Ibizas stopped working when it was about 4. One of the air con hoses had broken. The hose cost £172, then there was the labour and re-gassing, Cost a bomb altogether.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Murvi Morocco
    Thanks

It is important to use air con from time to time otherwise the seals can stop working. Even in winter I find A/C a great boon as it clears away condensation very quickly.

My Unit
    EribaCar 580
    Thanks

I NEVER switch off my Air Con

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,264 Times in 2,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    Doesn't that make your MPG expensive? I can literally see the fuel gauge going down in my car when I use it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Doesn't that make your MPG expensive? I can literally see the fuel gauge going down in my car when I use it.
    As Jay Jay says, using the air con has a big impact on your fuel economy.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swallow View Post
    It is important to use air con from time to time otherwise the seals can stop working. Even in winter I find A/C a great boon as it clears away condensation very quickly.
    Totally agree Chum, I will not have a vehicle without Air Con. I have never noticed any effect on mpg. I also use Diesel heating in the pod,that uses very little as well.
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 20-03-2017 at 02:14 PM.

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 869 Posts

I couldn't say using our AC has no effect on fuel consumption as we've not carried out a structured comparison. However, more than once we've done trips of several hundred miles with it on and the effect seems negligible.
    Geoff

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Artoo0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think the idea that air-conditioning has a major effect on mpg was true some years ago when the power drain meant it could only be viable in cars with big engines. However the technology has improved. Obviously there must be some effect but personally the benefits in terms of comfort make it worthwhile.

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,512 Posts

I've got air con. I open a window.
    I've got stop-start driving. It's called an ignition key and a brain.
    I've got auto headlights. When I'm driving and it gets dark, my hand automatically goes to the headlights 'on' switch.
    I've got rain sensing wipers. When it rains, my brain makes my hand turn the wipers on.
    My car can park itself. When I use my brain and twiddle the steering wheel and throttle, that is.

Of course, for those without brains, you can buy cars with auto wipers, auto lights, auto stop-start, and auto self parking etc etc. But how on earth did you pass a driving test?
    Apparently there is now a word to describe bullying of self driving cars, though I can't remember what it is just now. Thinking about it, you could pull out in front of one and it would stop. It wouldn't have the intelligence to reverse itself out of the way though, and I don't suppose any of the passengers in it would, either.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

My Unit
    EribaCar 580
    Thanks

Hi JayJay

Tried this on several cars, Astra 1.9cdti, Vectra 2.0, both diesel, and Volvo V40 1.8 petrol

Filled tanks to brim full, switched off air con and drove more sensibly than usual. I always record the miles between tankfulls. Absolutely no difference!!!!!
    So now I can be more adventurous and also stay cool!

Seriously though air con at all times is the best way to use it, it also keeps the inside of the car very dry.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IanH For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    I've got air con. I open a window.
    I've got stop-start driving. It's called an ignition key and a brain.
    I've got auto headlights. When I'm driving and it gets dark, my hand automatically goes to the headlights 'on' switch.
    I've got rain sensing wipers. When it rains, my brain makes my hand turn the wipers on.
    My car can park itself. When I use my brain and twiddle the steering wheel and throttle, that is.

Of course, for those without brains, you can buy cars with auto wipers, auto lights, auto stop-start, and auto self parking etc etc. But how on earth did you pass a driving test?
    Apparently there is now a word to describe bullying of self driving cars, though I can't remember what it is just now. Thinking about it, you could pull out in front of one and it would stop. It wouldn't have the intelligence to reverse itself out of the way though, and I don't suppose any of the passengers in it would, either.
    I don't have a car with auto wipers, auto lights, stop start or self parking, but if I ever have the good fortune to have the latest technology at my disposal I'm sure it will add to my driving experience. I started driving with a car with semaphore indicators a full crash gear box and a starting handle. Over the years I progressed through multiple company cars with all the latest gear, whilst driving motorcaravans years behind as they were based on the assumed driving of white van man. Would I go back to any of them? Not a chance!

I now have fantastic disc brakes, vehicles that start every time, without having to cover the engine with newspaper on damp nights. I have a decent heater and aircon for driving in the 40c temperatures I experienced in France a couple of years ago. Lights that allow me to see more than 10 yards and brake lights that may have saved my life on the foggy motorways I used to inhabit for thousands of miles a year. A radio that warns me of holdups and a satnav that pays for itself over and over again on both British and continental roads.

And yet, I still retain a brain that allows me rational thought and an active imagination that drives me to write articles and stories. I embrace technology that makes my life easier or better. I don't see what is wrong with that.

Colin

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niloc For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,512 Posts

I have experienced many examples of faults on computerised vehicles which the main agents cannot fix. My latest one was when I discovered that on my new Triumph motorbike, when you press the starter button it does not send 12v to the starter motor, it sends a signal to the engine ECU. This takes two seconds to send 12v to the starter motor. That is actually designed into the motorbike design, believe it or not. That is no use to me if I have accidentally stalled it as I pull out onto a dual carriageway. One friend had a Renault which had a faulty electric window. Instead of the window switch sending 12v to the motor, it sent a signal to the ECU. The ECU in theory would send 12v to the window motor. The main agent spent 3 weeks with the vehicle, and eventually gave up and returned the car with polythene over the window. Why they couldn't put 12v from a battery on to the motor inside the door to get the window at least to close, is beyond me.
    I had an electric Nissan Leaf for two years, which of course was just a mobile computer. It was absolutely fine, nothing went wrong. But when I took my petrol car for a service to the dealer I got the electric one from, they failed to change the spark plugs, and told me to my face that 'Your car is a diesel car sir, and DIESEL CARS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS'. Now, what hope have they got of servicing their electric cars if they cannot tell what engine an ordinary car has?
    So my Retirement Car is a 1993 Mercedes which is extraordinarily well built, has most of the modern conveniences such as central locking, but has no computers and I can fix it if it goes wrong. Also it doesn't cost £200 a month in loan repayments plus £500 a month in depreciation.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks

...but isn't it a tad cold having air con on in this weather? I prefer the heater on! I did run my air con the other day, as you are supposed to use it every now and then as someone above said. It was supercold... but I was freezing!

Wondering if my car is just too old to be the new 'super-efficient, not costing much' air con. It's a Skoda Roomster 1.6, 1600cc engine, 2007.

I also have a faulty electric window... sometimes it goes right the way down, and then won't come up again until I have pulled over, switched off the engine and then switched it on again! Must get it fixed!
    Last edited by jayjay; 23-03-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks

...but isn't it a tad cold having air con on in this weather? I prefer the heater on! I did run my air con the other day, as you are supposed to use it every now and then as someone above said. It was supercold... but I was freezing!

Wondering if my car is just too old to be the new 'super-efficient, not costing much' air con. It's a Skoda Roomster 1.6, 1600cc engine, 2007.

I also have a faulty electric window... sometimes it goes right the way down, and then won't come up again until I have pulled over, switched off the engine and then switched it on again! Must get it fixed!
    You should be able to run the air con and the heater at the same time.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_P For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I do love that my van doesn't do/have any of the following;

-turn the wipers on when a use the washer jets
    -bleep at me when I don't have my seatbelt on
    -electric windows to go wrong
    -anything 'computer controlled'

I'm the only one controlling it.

I would appreciate air-con though.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave_P For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post

I would appreciate air-con though.
    This is the first car I have had *working* air con with... on my last car, the air con never worked. I have to say, I don't use it very often anyway. I prefer to open a window most of the time. On really boiling hot days, it's nice to have... but how many of those do we get in the UK? I think about four to six days a year. Nice for passengers and doggie to stay cool. I have had this car over a year now, and used the air con twice.

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 869 Posts

I think the accepted rule of thumb says that, as opening the window interferes with the airflow over your car, at speeds over 50 mph it's more economical to run aircon, but open windows below that speed.

The only problem I have with that is you're letting in a lot more exhaust fumes at low speeds!

The temperature of my aircon is regulated by the same controls as the heater.
    Geoff

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Artoo0 For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    EribaCar 580
    Thanks

Sorry, but I have to put my two pennorth in...............

Air CONDITIONING is not necessarily air COOLING

Air con, can, of course, provide you with a lot of very cold air, but it also dries and CONDITIONS the air in the vehicle, particularly drying it and filtering it.

If your air con is selected ON, then the temperature is up to you, if you want hot air, you'll get hot air by turning up the temp knob, BUT it'll still be conditioned air.

To see the effect, turn off your air con, put the air selector to RECIRCULATE rather than OUTSIDE, give it 10 mins with 2 or 3 people in the car and all the windows will be steaming up!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IanH For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    I have experienced many examples of faults on computerised vehicles which the main agents cannot fix. My latest one was when I discovered that on my new Triumph motorbike, when you press the starter button it does not send 12v to the starter motor, it sends a signal to the engine ECU. This takes two seconds to send 12v to the starter motor. That is actually designed into the motorbike design, believe it or not. That is no use to me if I have accidentally stalled it as I pull out onto a dual carriageway. One friend had a Renault which had a faulty electric window. Instead of the window switch sending 12v to the motor, it sent a signal to the ECU. The ECU in theory would send 12v to the window motor. The main agent spent 3 weeks with the vehicle, and eventually gave up and returned the car with polythene over the window. Why they couldn't put 12v from a battery on to the motor inside the door to get the window at least to close, is beyond me.
    I had an electric Nissan Leaf for two years, which of course was just a mobile computer. It was absolutely fine, nothing went wrong. But when I took my petrol car for a service to the dealer I got the electric one from, they failed to change the spark plugs, and told me to my face that 'Your car is a diesel car sir, and DIESEL CARS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS'. Now, what hope have they got of servicing their electric cars if they cannot tell what engine an ordinary car has?
    So my Retirement Car is a 1993 Mercedes which is extraordinarily well built, has most of the modern conveniences such as central locking, but has no computers and I can fix it if it goes wrong. Also it doesn't cost £200 a month in loan repayments plus £500 a month in depreciation.
    I've had two misfires on mine in 13 years.
    Both times, I simply bluetoothed the car to my phone, and it told me what was wrong.
    Saved the usual hours of checking the spark, looking at the plugs, checking the contact breakers, stripping the carburetor.....