Thread: London Area camping spots

Thanks

Default London Area camping spots

Any places around London Area for popping into City on Bus or Coach ?
    Gunerdoo Do It Tomorrow ?

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,759 Posts

If you are in the C&CC there is Chertsey. Not exactly central, but with a good train service into Central London.
    I tried it, but found that returning on the earliest "off peak" return left me stranded at the railway station after the public service buses past the campsite had stopped running for the day. Which left me hiring a taxi for the "last mile Home". It is also fairly handy for Brooklands, and Hampton Court, both of which are well worth a visit.
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

My Unit
    was Berlingo R20 Hylo, now R30
    Thanks

Surely Crystal Palace or Abbey Wood, both Caravan and Motorhome Club sites, are the answer. I have always found Crystal Palace, with buses outside, a little bleak in the shadow of the radio mast, which can cause problems of car doors refusing to unlock!
    Abbey Wood, on the other hand is a real gem, virtually next door to the O2 stadium, it is a short walk to the tube train station and direct into central London. Amongst all the suburban houses, you literally drive around in circles to reach the entrance and discover it is indeed a wood laid out with no hint of the houses around it. The wardens used to feed and look after the local foxes and at 4p.m every day the foxes plus their cubs used to wander across the camp site which by then had gone silent and eat their food from the warden's hand. I have no idea if they still do it. I hope this helps. Graham (and Carole)

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,889 Times in 3,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twolitre View Post
    If you are in the C&CC there is Chertsey. Not exactly central, but with a good train service into Central London.
    I tried it, but found that returning on the earliest "off peak" return left me stranded at the railway station after the public service buses past the campsite had stopped running for the day. Which left me hiring a taxi for the "last mile Home". It is also fairly handy for Brooklands, and Hampton Court, both of which are well worth a visit.
    Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
    Surely Crystal Palace or Abbey Wood, both Caravan and Motorhome Club sites, are the answer. I have always found Crystal Palace, with buses outside, a little bleak in the shadow of the radio mast, which can cause problems of car doors refusing to unlock!
    Abbey Wood, on the other hand is a real gem, virtually next door to the O2 stadium, it is a short walk to the tube train station and direct into central London. Amongst all the suburban houses, you literally drive around in circles to reach the entrance and discover it is indeed a wood laid out with no hint of the houses around it. The wardens used to feed and look after the local foxes and at 4p.m every day the foxes plus their cubs used to wander across the camp site which by then had gone silent and eat their food from the warden's hand. I have no idea if they still do it. I hope this helps. Graham (and Carole)

I think Gunerdoo is looking for a wild camping spot because it put this thread in "Wild Camping Locations" section of the forum.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,032 Times in 1,709 Posts

I looked last year for a 'wild camp' site within the M 25 because of the very high cost of the few proper sites. I tried a HGV overnight truck stop but they wouldn't allow me to stay. They wouldn't give a reason. I wanted one within underground distance. I live north of London so I went on Google Maps, followed a tube line northwards, and then went to street map at each station. Eventually I found that next to one station there was a common-use sports ground with a very large car park. On Street View you can 'drive' up to the proposed site and look round it. This place was ideal, there were no other vehicles using it, it was a very large car park without height barriers and it served a cricket pitch, rugby pitch and football pitch. I doubt if the car park would ever be full. It was across the railway line and along a road from the tube station.

AH! I've found it. It's Northwood Hills tube station, and the car park is attached to the Northwood Recreation Ground. Yur 'tiz:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.60...4112678,16.09z

BUT Don't tell anyone, I don't want all sorts of riff raff (i.e. anyone not part of the SMH forum) knowing about it.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20 Hi
    Thanks

Hi,
    There is a place near Whipps Cross Hospital. It's on Whips Cross Road (A114) in the parking by the 24 hour Cafe called 'The Log Cabin'. I have used it many times.

Kind regards,
    Ian

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iVan For This Useful Post: