Thread: Travel insurance for long trips

My Unit
    Autosleeper Topaz on T4
    Thanks

Default Travel insurance for long trips

I'm off to Europe again soon and whilst I know my departure date, I don't know when I'll return. I have travel insurance through my Nationwide account but it only covers me for 31 days. It's possible to increase that by paying an additional premium but they want to know exactly how many days I need. Being rather nomadic I really don't know.

One option is just to go for a large number of days say 90 (I'm expecting to be away for about 2 months) but then I'll pay considerably more than I would for say 60 days.

What do others do?

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empyrean View Post
    I'm off to Europe again soon and whilst I know my departure date, I don't know when I'll return. I have travel insurance through my Nationwide account but it only covers me for 31 days. It's possible to increase that by paying an additional premium but they want to know exactly how many days I need. Being rather nomadic I really don't know.

One option is just to go for a large number of days say 90 (I'm expecting to be away for about 2 months) but then I'll pay considerably more than I would for say 60 days.

What do others do?

Chris
    I'm covered to some degree by ADAC membership, mainly bought for breakdowns abroad, but it does give some medical cover as well.
    Only a small amount, but helpful in an emergency.

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 653 Posts

Now this is an interesting thread as I, too, am contemplating a long European trip (probably closer to 90 days rather than 60). My first thought was, do I actually need travel insurance? After all I have full European breakdown cover (and checked with my insurer that I am covered for all the countries on my proposed itinerary) and also I am covered for health within the EU by my EHIC European health card. I don't care about cancelled ferries, I'll just change my itinerary, have a few extra days - I don't care.

So, what do I need travel insurance for? Possibly repatriation flight cost back to the UK - hopefully a low risk eventuality. What else does it cover?

Oh, and BTW if you are thinking of being away more than 30 or 60 days do check your household insurance, mine is void if the property is left unoccupied for more than 60 days. I just arrange for one of my daughters to come over for a few days and meet up with friends in the area. Fortunately they are both at an age now where a party with friends is not something that needs separate insurance cover!

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 653 Posts

I'm surprised this thread hasn't generated more activity as i would have thought it might apply to several folk.

I'm still looking into travel insurance and whether I want to just risk using my EHIC. There's an interesting Guardian article on this with a really useful link to the NHS site where EU cover is detailed

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,855 Times in 722 Posts

We spend up to 90 days at a time in Sri Lanka and like to have the option to take off anywhere on a whim, we are both getting a bit long in the tooth and my wife has agreed that her mild hypertension be excluded to keep the costs down. Our main reason for having insurance is in the case of accident, mugging or injury rather than illness, although something like cuts or dog or snake / spider / centipede bites can turn nasty. Make sure that whatever you get includes Repatriation.

The letter-head below is what we have..... but I have to say tracking down anything affordable as you get older is a heck of a job.

header.jpg

Thanks

Good thread, this. Up to last year we simply relied on our bank account cover, but then realised that that only gave 31 days, which meant that we had been travelling un-insured for the last ten years, as we always go for longer than 31.
    I asked for their quote for 42 days for last year; they wanted £68 for the extra 11 days. BUT, the 42 days started from leaving home. No good for us, because we were planning a trip to the north east, then straight down to Dover, which meant that we would have used 28 of our days before leaving the country! We then tried a couple more companies, but quotes upwards of £500 put us off, so we decided to wing it without insuring. Like traveller 26 we also have ADAC cover, and our EHIC card.
    Anne did have an asthmatic problem in France, but this was sorted with a visit to a doctor and physiotherapist, total cost only €50 and instant service.
    This year we will do the same, as Anne is now over 80 and has pre-existing conditions so any form of health insurance is just ridiculous! £940 for seven days in France!
    Ref the house cover, we do the same as Brian; our son and his wife live in the house during the week then go home a weekends, thereby keeping both houses covered.
    Whatever, none of the above will stop us enjoying our Euro-jaunts. We'll keep going until we can't!
    BTW, I'm not recommending any of the above; this is simply what suits us.

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,262 Posts

I think the big worry for me if I were to travel abroad without insurance would be the cost of getting me home. Some years back a friend expired suddenly whilst in Spain, and this weekend another friend's fiance expired whilst they were on holiday somewhere exotic.

The last thing the family need is the expense of getting my remains back here if that should happen.

Also, as I travel alone, any illness or accident that stopped me driving myself would necessitate repatriation.

My Unit
    Autosleeper Topaz on T4
    Thanks

Thanks to all for your varied and interesting responses.

Like some I am less concerned about losing a bag or missing a ferry (I never book a return anyway) but having had an accident overseas in the past I want to have the comfort of knowing things are taken care of.

I have opted to increase my Nationwide cover to 75 days at a cost of £60. The good news is that I will have 75 days of cover whenever I travel from the UK for the next 12 months so, actually, it's quite a good deal.

Re the house, I do as others do and have offspring coming in every week but in any case - how do the insurance companies know that this has or has not been happening??

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empyrean View Post
    Thanks to all for your varied and interesting responses.

Like some I am less concerned about losing a bag or missing a ferry (I never book a return anyway) but having had an accident overseas in the past I want to have the comfort of knowing things are taken care of.

I have opted to increase my Nationwide cover to 75 days at a cost of £60. The good news is that I will have 75 days of cover whenever I travel from the UK for the next 12 months so, actually, it's quite a good deal.

Re the house, I do as others do and have offspring coming in every week but in any case - how do the insurance companies know that this has or has not been happening??

Chris
    One way is to keep a notebook inside, so whoever comes over can sign it to say when they arrived, if they stopped overnight, and when they left. (Some insurers will class the house as unoccupied if no one stops overnight, regardless off a visit in the day).

A note of the reading of the gas, electric, and water meter on arrival and departure helps substantiate the visit, and any other general comments.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Traveller26 For This Useful Post: