Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Derek oak doblo high roof storage solutions

Thanks

Default Hammock over table as post 34 improved

When the blue hammock over the table is up and full, the main led light down the corridor does not illuminate the table so well because the hammock obscures it
    20170307_143310.jpg
    Taken from the table surface.
    So I have used the leftover offcut of the led strip channel from the main light put led strip 3 times the brightness in the channel and woven cables into the support webbing leading to anderson power pole 15 amp connectors which will uncouple when I want to take the hammock down, and as mentioned in post 34 added permanent wiring in the ceiling to the existing cooks light switch.
    20170307_143400.jpg
    I have also made the 3 half buckles left on the ceiling when the hammock is not used removable so that only nylon bridges are on the ceiling where we require headroom. I scraped my head once too often
    Last edited by Derekoak; 07-03-2017 at 02:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default More electric re-jiggery-pokery

20170309_112323.jpg
    This little nook beside the table I originally fitted with 2 cigar sockets which we nearly always used with double usb adaptors. One soon failed to work and was removed then the other because erratic. I lost faith in cigar sockets I fitted the permanent double usb socket you see illuminated blue. Then my home made buck boost charger from cigar plug to 16 volt jack plug to our Bluetooth speaker fell apart because the only double core electric cable I seemed to be able to buy was too big for the electronics and Jack plug. My wife wanted to be able to liquidise food whilst away so a new plan get a 350watt inverter and charge the speaker through its mains adaptor and take our ancient wand blender 150watt, both using 240 volt ac.
    Can't edit the photo the right way up. it appears as a thumbnail below still upside down don't know why. I edit the image upside down or the right way up upload it, it appears either way upside down
    Here it is GO TO BOTTOM OF THIS POST permanently installed 4mm2 wiring circuit length to fuse box and return only 1.5m , 40 amp fuse connected by 45 amp anderson power pole connectors. On off switch on casing and little green led to show on. Ventilation front and back. You can tell from our blender that we are frequent turmeric users!
    20170309_112304.jpg
    A close up of the anderson power pole connectors with spare 30 amp output above just in case
    20170309_112250.jpg
    Refuse system bag removed for clarity inertia reel seat belt hooked out of the way for the photo. The usb socket is still on but the blue led is hidden by a well fitting cover
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Derekoak; 09-03-2017 at 02:47 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 718 Posts

I don't know how you remember where everything is

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SandraM For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Memory

Yes memory is in short supply. thank heavens I do not have anything bigger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Backup storage

Quote Originally Posted by Derekoak View Post
    You saw the drawer closed here it is open
    Attachment 12793
    Finned energy saving camp pot we use as a kettle with a universal lid
    Attachment 12794
    Below that we can see 2 stainless bowls and a third nested around a silicon steamer green all inside a tefal saucepan, handle off, all inside the 4 litre pressure cooker. The wooden handle is my replacement. It came with 2 similar plastic handles but would only fit the drawer amended. Behind those 2 sets of nesting cups and glasses and a masher
    Attachment 12795
    Below that the trusty double skillet, thank you small motorhome site, with silicon liner for cakes and flap jacks a few lids and a heat spreader. Behind a storage tub with lid 2.2litre for dry goods
    Attachment 12796
    You can see lightening holes in the ply, through the back one you can reach backup storage, our favourite real coffee more tea bags things not so easy to get abroad
    Attachment 12797
    This shows the tefal ingenio handle also stores in this drawer
    We are away helping my mother in law in Bournemouth with house maintenance but planning walking in Wales on the way back so we are fully kitted out.
    Here are pictures of our back up storage to add to post 23 about our pot drawer. Behind the drawer is an unuseable space bounded by the bodywork of the rear lights to car wall and the side of the fridge over the wheel arch. But I managed to access it and make 2 shaped storage bags. To remind yourself of the photos of post 23, touch the links, 12976 being the most relevant
    20170317_073937.jpg
    To get them out you must remove the cups and Finned pot and lid and the masher, pull the drawer forward and reach through the shaped hole in the back of the drawer and pull out these 2 bags which are stacked, the smaller on the larger (as that is the shape of the space)
    20170317_074029.jpg
    At the moment 2 bags of real coffee and some tea bags for backup. Full they would take 4 bags of coffee and tea bags carefully packed.
    The shaped bags are silicon nylon coated fabric with stiffener parts of corrugated plastic to hold them in the quadrant shape that is required
    Last edited by Derekoak; 17-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Pee pot garage

In post 21 I showed a wall box which we wanted to use as better storage for bananas and apples. That required a new home for our pee pots. I had some burr elm left over from the posh glasses shelf so this garage was born
    20170322_124501.jpg
    It is made of 10mm elm plank with one conical bit shaped from 25mm plank and other parts 20mm thick as needed to use 20mm piano hinge that I had.
    This year of doblo has a waste of space fairing hiding the top of the mechanism for the sliding door gear. I think the newer doblo has a sensible shelf on top of the mechanism.
    20170322_125536.jpg
    So I cut away the fairing and screwed a ply shelf in place as the base for the garage
    20170322_131537.jpg
    The rear of the garage which is hidden in the new revised over cab storage is made of 4mm ply for lightness. The whole garage structure weighs 1 kg.
    I will post more of the insides in another post as we will be out of free WiFi for a few days from now
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Pee pot garage interior

Another trial slightly cropped photos in the hope that they stay the right way up
    20170329_153841.jpg
    Here the elm door is opened and you see a 1.2 litre click lock plastic pot, bought at Lakeland actually.It is deep enough to be moved whilst open and not slosh over, if not too full and the right width to be used by the fair sex. When closed it is air proof and waterproof so it could be shaken without accident, but we try not to. Beside it folded up a waterproof towelling small baby mat which helps at night when all our camper is bed. Above a little shelf that holds the door solid but also makes a store for individual interleaved toilet papers
    20170329_155256.jpg
    With the front items taken out you can see a 1.8 litre nalgene canteen rolled up a plastic water bladder with a large opening. This is used by me to extend capacity to 3 litres during the night. The mouth of this and the whole click lock pot sit in a blue drip tray made from an ice cream carton. The orange lines overhead are washing lines, the yellow line going out the back of the garage is 5mm elastic bungee holding up a converted mesh wall to the original doblo over cab shelf. The silver is camping mat I used to insulate curved surfaces, exposed by cutting away the fairing. The door handle latch is our standard type and requires the steel striker plate. The ply inside locates the drip tray and makes room for the folded towel
    20170329_161913.jpg
    Here the PPG contents laid out. There is a bit of room left but the back of the garage is only accessed just before the bed is made, so plastic shoe bags would be the thing, but small enough ones are a bit flimsy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Lifestyle

It strikes me that living in our camper is a bit like being an Apollo astronaut! But at least we have gravity if not gravitas

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Amendment

This water storage is in front of the driver seat. Again 2 x 2 litre It also carries a polypropylene sheet big enough to spread our mattress cushions on on the grass if it is sunny enough
    Attachment 12741
    This shows 2 x 2 litre under the drivers seat, you can get a bottle of wine in there tooAttachment 12742
    The drivers seat is pulled forward to show the bottles under
    Reading through my thread, my predictive text clearly does not know the word polycro and thought polypropylene more suitable. Polycro is the very thin tough film that wickes sell for temporary double glazing. The size of all our cushions as a polycro groundsheet takes up about the space of a large orange, polypropylene would not leave room for the water!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Chopping board

Here it is for travel
    Attachment 12803
    Here it is with 3 elm lids off
    Attachment 12804
    Usually I wash up with washing up bowl on the table. The sink is just for washing hands and accessing the drain. Because of that I thought that to get more space, if I did it all again, I could cut the smev sink down to say 60 mm depth and bolt and silicon a stainless tray to make a shallower sink. I could then store a silicon concertina washing up bowl in there. With this sink I had to block the waste outlet with a proprietary cap and cut another hole to insert the waste in a place where it would miss the fridge (everything is so tight). So there would be no problem cutting a waste hole in the stainless tray.
    We do not use the drain on tarmac or concrete. We usually use soap and get rid of oil with a tissue, a little washing-up liquid if in a good place. Behind the sink from the left beer can space, back up 2 litre water bottle, spare parts duck tape spare soap, clothes pegs to the right now empty as it is the duct for the warm air from the fridge compressor. On the wall behind fire extinguisher next to elm holder for a bar of soap sitting on a hand brush,
    Attachment 12805
    This is as for cooking the hob cover hooks over the far end of the sink located on a steel rod and is supported on a webbing strap and hook pinned to avoid unhooking. The butane lighter on the right hooks on a wood block is refillable and is easy for arthritic fingers to work. The pink lighter is backup
    The elm lid over the sink is really our chopping board treated with olive oil rather than hardwax floor oil but the same elm as the hob cover. We also have 2 plastic sheet chopping boards for cutting raw meat and such stored in the right wall box

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Over cab storage updated and finished

In post 14 and 15 I showed you a mark 2 version of our over cab storage. It was made of old sheets and we planned to make a full version out of new polycotton sheets after testing. So now I have photos of the final (if anything is final in this camper) version 3. It has been amended to allow for the addition of the pee pot garage which overlaps and opening the door of that has caused conflicts.
    Here is a picture of the 1 mm stainless steel cable which allows such a tight shallow catenary over our heads
    20170402_184708.jpg
    1 inch dowel at each end and 4mm ss threaded rod through dowel and anchored in blocks fixed with self tappers to the car. You can also see in this photo the over cab doblo shelf with the added mesh wall tensioned by those yellow bungees they go round pulleys and extend backwards to give lots of steady stretch to make access easier
    20170402_184800.jpg
    Here the polycotton has been partly fixed on with male one side female the other velcro tape round the dowels. You can see the 12 thin 2mm battens made from an old wooden venetian blind. Each is fixed in pockets at each end. The yellow dyneema cord and adjustable cordlocks pull the middle back to stop the storage moving forward and knocking the shelf whilst driving.
    20170402_184859.jpg
    Here the undersheet has been fixed up with velcro tape and tabs. This hides the structure and avoids our hair getting caught in the battens and cables. There are little buckles supporting the wall towards us anchored to the Steel sliding door mechanism inside the fairings. Inside the storage you can see the far wall elasticated like the doblo shelf wall, that stops things Falling down the access between shelf and over cab storage. You can also see the loop of cloth that segregates the storage duvet on the left my wifes clothes in the middle, my clothes on in the right sharing with the rear car blinds. Then our square bed foam cushion ontop. Why the loop looks blue I do not know it is the same sheet as the rest. I have had to reset the cushion bungeed to the ceiling to allow the pee pot garage door to open.
    20170402_184949.jpg
    Here it is with the near wall fully attached by bungee hooks. To get the duvet in it is best to remove the left hook to give a bigger space to stuff it in through. Clothes and cushions we just pull down the top edge held with 5 mm bungee. The wall is strong because the lower catenary is made of inelastic 2mm dyneema cord. The gap to the right is the access for the rear blinds.
    You can just see 2 vertical lines of gathering each side of central. This is an adaption to allow elastic to pull up any sag in the polycotton when the storage is empty to avoid obscuring rear view. The tension in the steel cables is adjusted front and back to give maximum storage volume without loosing rear view.
    The black circles in the plastic fascia of the underparts of the sliding door mechanism are 12 volt led light switches, and fridge on off, voltmeter vb/lb and router switches 9 in total
    Last edited by Derekoak; 03-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Extra detail photos

I wanted to maximise storage under the table. So instead of a table top on a leg you can see 2 stacked storage boxes. We fill them with suitable adapted hessian supermarket bags and they hold my wife's stuff folders etc. The bottom box is full of holes to save weight, it is fixed down to unwin strips that came with the previous use. It is on a plinth to allow footroom it also allows the heater to blow along the floor to warm the cook. The top box hooks to the car rear seat back mounting plate for stability. For the bed the top box and it's contents lifts unhooks and fills the space to the left. The settee sort of acts like a rock and roll bed without the mechanism the piano hinge flattens and it fills the space between cab seats and bottom box/ galley. The stick you see from the top box left stiffens that corner of the table top but also spans the corridor to support the middle of the settee ply when it is bed. You can see the ledge on the galley the settee sits on when it is a bed.
    In the last shot you can also see the dish towel and rubbish bag takes about a day s worth
    Attachment 12781
    The table top has a sliding leaf that locks into the left side of the top boxAttachment 12782
    Here it is deployed. As a bed these 2 parts fill the corridor and complete the bed platform.
    In some pictures you can see the end of the ledge all along the front of the galley that the table tops sit on as bed. The white thing behind the top box is a covered ice axe posted behind the box and held in place by a yellow bungee loop. That is part of our rural toileting eystem
    ""The sliding leaf locks into the left side of the box "" quote from my previous post
    20170406_162843.jpg
    Here is the table with the main top removed. you can see 3 wooden shafts sticking towards the camera, they would be under the main table top usually, the left 2 are the sliding leaf supports set to slide in slots in the top box and shaped to support the leaf level with the main top when out and drop the leaf by the 9mm thickness of the main top as it slides in. You can see little dowels stick out of both sides of each support. Left of all these another piece of wood is glued to the wall box. You can see 2 dowels sticking up at this end with a hole for a coach bolt in between at the far end partly hidden another 2 dowels stick up and therd is a hook for a rope loop. All these fit the main table top to the wall box. The main table top only rests on the top box itself.
    20170406_162814.jpg
    When the leaf is extended the dowels lock into the left side of the box. The other support goes through the top box and locks into the other side. It then cantilevers out to support the last bouncy table corner. The extended table is solid enough to dice carrots, swede, celeriac on any corner.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Extra detail photos

I wanted to maximise storage under the table. So instead of a table top on a leg you can see 2 stacked storage boxes. We fill them with suitable adapted hessian supermarket bags and they hold my wife's stuff folders etc. The bottom box is full of holes to save weight, it is fixed down to unwin strips that came with the previous use. It is on a plinth to allow footroom it also allows the heater to blow along the floor to warm the cook. The top box hooks to the car rear seat back mounting plate for stability. For the bed the top box and it's contents lifts unhooks and fills the space to the left. The settee sort of acts like a rock and roll bed without the mechanism the piano hinge flattens and it fills the space between cab seats and bottom box/ galley. The stick you see from the top box left stiffens that corner of the table top but also spans the corridor to support the middle of the settee ply when it is bed. You can see the ledge on the galley the settee sits on when it is a bed.
    In the last shot you can also see the dish towel and rubbish bag takes about a day s worth
    Attachment 12781
    The table top has a sliding leaf that locks into the left side of the top boxAttachment 12782
    Here it is deployed. As a bed these 2 parts fill the corridor and complete the bed platform.
    In some pictures you can see the end of the ledge all along the front of the galley that the table tops sit on as bed. The white thing behind the top box is a covered ice axe posted behind the box and held in place by a yellow bungee loop. That is part of our rural toileting eystem
    ""The sliding leaf locks into the left side of the box "" quote from my previous post
    20170406_162843.jpg
    Here is the table with the main top removed. you can see 3 wooden shafts sticking towards the camera, they would be under the main table top usually, the left 2 are the sliding leaf supports set to slide in slots in the top box and shaped to support the leaf level with the main top when out and drop the leaf by the 9mm thickness of the main top as it slides in. You can see little dowels stick out of both sides of each support. Left of all these another piece of wood is glued to the wall box. You can see 2 dowels sticking up at this end with a hole for a coach bolt in between at the far end partly hidden another 2 dowels stick up and there is a hook for a rope loop. All these fit the main table top to the wall box. The main table top only rests on the top box itself.
    20170406_162814.jpg
    When the leaf is extended the dowels lock into the left side of the box. The other support goes through the top box and locks into the other side. It then cantilevers out to support the last bouncy table corner. The extended table is solid enough to dice carrots, swede, celeriac on any corner.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Fireproofing insulated walls near a cooker without loosing much space

At first we had a car. blue painted non inflammable metal and windows were the materials near the VW type narrow combi sink cooker we installed. No great fire problem. But I wanted to insulate. Lots where I could, but on curved surfaces I could only glue vapour barrier mylar coated camping mat, by no means fireproof and only 8 inches from the flames of the gas ring
    20170407_211631.jpg
    Here is a solution. Admittedly with care we have not had a fire in 3 years. Top right on the back door you can see the camping mat yet to be covered with stretchy carpet. Stretchy carpet is not fireproof either, but behind the 200mm diameter pot you can see... blue silicon sheet, this is stretchy so it can go round curves. It is fireproof, well you can put it in an oven so it is an improvement, it is the same blue as the car (luck). No glue can stick silicon unfortunately..... except silicon. So this is pressed into transparent builders silicon. It takes up very little room. Protective firebacks of glass or stainless sheet or aluminium would have been heavier and would be difficult to shape to the space required .
    20170407_213836.jpg
    Another view to see how close things are
    Last edited by Derekoak; 07-04-2017 at 10:36 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default An awkward little space

When I made the elm surround to the sink/hob. I included extra to fit the hollow in the rear door where the window is. That bit holds our butane lighters but below there is an awkward potential space.
    20170417_170718.jpg
    Ply battens screwed through nylon cut and sewn to fit the window hollow, lined with a stiffener of corrugated plastic. That ensures the door shuts without breaking anything. The closure at the entrance is a pop stud. the other part is screw on and can just be seen inside the potato and onion storage space
    20170417_170649.jpg
    The cross cut in the nylon allows for 2 rigid copper conductors for the heated rear window. To be seen in the top photo.
    After starting to bring our 240 volt wand blender I was looking for space to store it . We also needed a new home above bed level for our shoe bags. Our car shoes go on the hob cover overnight so need plastic bags to keep dirt within. So a picture of what needed storing:
    20170417_170555.jpg
    I shortened the blender cable, it had always been too long, and took a rubber sucker off the cable that we had never used.
    20170417_170526.jpg
    I found: cable at the bottom, then motor body with plug behind, wand with tool end hooked over the back of the motor, tessellated best (I arranged the layout of the blender in the third photo to follow this plan) then the 2 plastic bags pushed in above kept the wand from moving and rattling
    20170417_170449.jpg
    Pop stud shut.
    This is a trial template of the final version but I think I will use it until it fails. This is the smaller rear door of the doblo that hardly ever opens and the window is tinted so the untidy nylon is not on view.
    Last edited by Derekoak; 17-04-2017 at 06:08 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Settee panniers better photos

20170425_074824.jpg
    Here is the passenger side settee pannier in the stored position if it is empty at that point. Without the stored position it rattled when driving.
    At first the settee just filled the floor space and the step was left for access but there was this space empty and pleading to be filled between the settee and the door. So a bit of 9mm ply and 7 bits of 2mm knotted nylon cord and the space can be filled
    20170425_074841.jpg
    Here is the drivers side pannier mostly filled. I use it for wet or muddy stuff . Here my bike panniers filled with bike stuff and my walking shoes, but at other times an ice axe is added or instead of the bike stuff my pack raft and paddle. Longer things can stick down the side of the drivers seat too with care that seat belt is not affected

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

Just love your thread...!

If our vehicle would not be my wifes company car where I am restricted to bolting a rooftent on top (but also using every nook and cranny inside with makeshift removable whatsoevers...) I would certainly go down your road....probably less ingenious...

Great stuff!

It is very refreshing to see function and creativity triumph........

Thanks

Default Creativity

Quote Originally Posted by NiedrigerIQ View Post
    Just love your thread...!

If our vehicle would not be my wifes company car where I am restricted to bolting a rooftent on top (but also using every nook and cranny inside with makeshift removable whatsoevers...) I would certainly go down your road....probably less ingenious...

Great stuff!

It is very refreshing to see function and creativity triumph........
    Hi Niedriger I must get to read all of your thread for ideas, but at the moment just back from walking half the southern upland way, immediate repack and off to Brussels to help my middle son lay a new oak floor. Sleeping in our camper outside his house, as the guest room is filled with his in laws who have come to provide childcare.
    I did start with a car and tent but not rooftop, but Scotland is so easy to wild camp with a tent or camper and although we often parked the car and walked in to camp it was not often we felt it remote enough to camp by the car.

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

.......immediate repack and off to Brussels to help my middle son lay a new oak floor. Sleeping in our camper outside his house, as.....
    I am in 1080 Molenbeek, Brussels, if you got time for a Belgium beer.......

Thanks

Default Future project

We need a better place for recycling bottles cans plastic bottles mostly and general rubbish if we struggle to find a good disposal point. At the moment in passenger footwell but that is pretty inconvenient.
    20170503_223611.jpg
    Here is a space outside the car on the back door, the wedge shaped space between the bike and the đoor, will not cause wind drag, will not, if shaped correctly: stop the door opening more than the bike does, obscure lights whether the bikes are on or not, will not be too heavy, as outlying cans and plastic. Recycling stored outside is not a theft or security issue.
    20170503_223648.jpg
    Here is another view from above, the space is below the bike handlebars, the bottom will rise at 45 degree to not obscure the number plate, the hinge side will be similar to not obscure the light cluster. Plan A is a nylon waterproof bag stiffened with corrugated plastic, held on to 6 nylon bridges with webbing straps. The bridges will be fixed permanently to the door. The recycling bag can be easily removed if not needed for the next trip.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast