Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Derek oak doblo high roof storage solutions

Thanks

Default Storage of bed mattress topper

In post 13 I mentioned the storage of the mattress topper but did not show it properly 20170425_101827.jpg
    Here you can see that if we roll up the 1 inch topper enclosed in its removable sheet cover to 5 thicknesses it supports the settee back at a comfortable angle.
    20170425_101856.jpg
    We made caps for the head rests from polycotton
    20170425_073954.jpg
    and used these to hang webbing loops to support the topper 20170425_074753.jpg
    The topper when rolled out covers all the joins in the 9 cushions that make up the double bed and so makes an already comfortable mattress as comfortable as our mattress at home. The topper is 4 foot wide by 6 foot 3 inch with a small cutout to go round the galley. The bed is 4 foot 9 inch wide for the top 3 foot 2 inch. 3 foot 2 inch wide there at hip level and 3 foot half an inch at the foot. The hip is the main restriction.
    20170425_074118.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Electrics revealed

In post 7 I showed the C250S and stabilised 12 volt power supply but did not undo the cover on the fuse box. I had to do a repair so here in an update. Under this plastic step fascia
    20170531_191200.jpg
    Is this fuse box wiring with inline fuses and relays
    20170531_185130.jpg
    It is beside the passenger seat, all very close to the leisure battery under the passenger seat and the c250s infront of the passenger seat.
    All this fits in an otherwise empty space that many cars may have.
    The voltage sensitive relay is hidden further forward beside the passenger footwell. The relays allow the alternator to push the maximum 20 amp through the c250s to recharge the leisure battery whilst in parallel running any 12 volt loads, such as the compressor fridge, directly from the alternator. The fridge relay is near the fridge switch, the volt meter is here
    20170602_130344.jpg
    The volt meter is cheap and I do not trust its absolute voltage but with experience it does show the relative state of charge of both vehicle and leisure batteries and a guide to the power sources recharging the batteries. Sorry about the inverted image that i cannot delete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default What all that storage allows to be carried on a 5 week trip to Orkney and Shetland

We planned to be able to: wild camp (car) through out, cycle, packraft, walk, packraft across to an island walk and camp (tent), ferry bikes to an island cycle across it packraft to an outer island and camp carrying food, backpack into the wilds (walk and camp). Here we are by the watch stone near the ring of brodgar in orkney stopped for lunch halfway through the paddle
    20170614_102222.jpg
    The packrafts can be joined together to make a less manouverable but faster craft. We did a circuit of the sea loch to the left and freshwater to the right to get views of the stone circles and tombs of the area from the water. Probably water travel was more important in the neolitic. We came ashore and visited 2 circles 2 tombs and a village from the water.
    Here we are on Shetland having paddled along Ronas voe, a sea loch on a calm day, poking into sea caves paddling through natural arches and stopping on otherwise unreachable sandy beaches for lunch. I pulled out most of the kit just to take photos of everything at once.
    20170701_130007.jpg
    You can see the packrafts joined together, mine on the left shows the spray deck, wet suits, life jackets waterproof rucksacks paddles, day packs, in front, our tripod for camera and birdwatching monocular, behind, our tent
    20170701_125848.jpg
    Behind the tent our bikes with panniers cycle shoes, hi vis jackets, pump tools, my bike the nearest you can see 2 plastic tubes behind the saddle. Put paddle shafts or walking poles in these tubes and I can lash a big rucksack (the red one on my packraft deck) vertically behind me.
    20170701_125747.jpg
    Closeup of our tent which can use paddles or walking poles as tent poles. Inside 2 inflatable lightweight camp mats strapped together and our home adapted double 4 season sleeping bag.

I will put up a few more photos to finish the tour of our stuff soon
    Last edited by Derekoak; 26-07-2017 at 11:16 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 736 Posts

Wow!! and I was so pleased with myself for thinking of putting 2 x 30 litre underbed storage chests in the van to take our clothes neatly and to allow easy removal for John, instead of him turning my nicely ironed clothes stack into a mess when it was in the single collapsible basket.

Great photos Derek

Thanks

Default Post 83 continued food and drink

Too many photos for one post
    20170701_125725.jpg
    Here on our polycro ground sheet are our dry goods storage boxes out of the cooks seat our water bottles usually 11 but after 4 years one leaked and was discarded in shetland, our wine 2 bottles, our beer about 10 cans, potatoes and root veg in wide hemp tray, onions and garlic in narrow hemp tray, 2 bags of routes, mapping and books on left from table storage
    20170729_154358.jpg
    Here our 50 litre compressor fridge often loaded to the gunnels!
    20170729_154344.jpg
    And here olive oil bottle, apples, and bananas and anything we need to ripen. We keep the bananas seperate because they make other fruit over ripe. The grapes got in there by expedience, not their usual place. The food and water lasts us up to 4 days and could be stretched to 5.
    As well not shown our minimal personal clothing to covers all weathers and activities.
    2 android tablets, 2 phones and a kindle and our blue tooth speaker. Other little bits of equipment tools etc.
    We weighed the car at a weighbridge before we left. Each axle was well in but our total legal
    Weight 1960kg . Our actual weight 1960kg all up full fuel tank, maximum supplies. Inaccuracy of weighbridge plus or minus 20kg. As soon as we used fuel water or food we would have had a buffer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

An almost self sufficient miniscule expedition vehicle, with everything in it one needs, for camping, walking, hiking, climbing, sea kajaking, cycling, under adverse weather conditions......

I am really impressed...!!! Very much by the equipment....but, as it is just a means to the end.....the equipment...far more by the spirit behind the travels you 2 do....and even more by the way you do them...

Travelling light suddenly has a different meaning to me...:-)

Give us a shout when(if) you are back over here, would love to see more pics and hear tales...

Thanks

Default Hair dryer

Just packing for switzerland and added a solution to the hair dryer problem. Hair dryers are energy intensive my wife's smallest is 700watt. Would need bigger inverter than our system allows so
    20170812_082933.jpg
    My wife washes her hair at our sink or table, drys it. Then arranged in advance we drive on. After 10 minutes the engine is warm put the heater on max air and heat and faces shut all but the one outlet and push the steel end in. This drys her hair and fluffs it while i drive. Weighs little stores in our bonnet tray
    20170812_083010.jpg
    The big end is a stainless steel beaker cut about and sealed with draught strip, the pipe is a left over from fitting the sink waste. The small end has been throttled with foam door draught strip and insulation tape to make more of a jet and to stop a loud roaring noise!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Peugeot 3008
    Thanks

One of the craziest add ons for a car I've ever seen.....love it....

Thanks

Red face Future project partially completed in time for Swiss holiday

In post 80 i described possible outside back door storage for overflow rubbish and recycling and showed the space available without reducing access.
    Here is an improved version using one of my bike panniers which sometimes goes with us anyway
    20170815_105702.jpg
    Here is the old karrimor attachment system 2 locking hooks at the top and a series of 5 slots to slide on a special karrimor attachment to my pannier carrier
    Here is what I did to the car
    20170815_105803.jpg
    2 of the nylon bridges I often use shaped thinner to fit the pannier hooks and fitted with self tappers and at the bottom of the picture a blue painted machine headed bolt and oversize washers shaped into a cone by hammering over a former to fit one of the pannier location slots and bolted on to the car door.
    20170812_172911.jpg
    Here is the pannier fitted to the back door. It will hold only rubbish and recycling. Some one could steal the pannier by unlatching it but the pannier, although i would miss it, is 20 years old. It does not stop the door opening fully or obscure the lights or number plate. The rule is 45 degree angle or more is allowed.The next picture shows the door opened as fully as the bike rack allows without rotating the bike rack down
    20170812_173001.jpg
    The door is stopped by the bike rack not the pannier so we can squeeze in for a forgotten item as shown before on post 80.
    There is still another space for a smaller bag under the door handle if we need extra

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Derekoak For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345