Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GOING GO POD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David stringer View Post
    i agree either the hand brake on or the tyre catcing in some thing if its not high enough up been there done that oops
    Well, there's no possibility that the handbrake was on all the way back from Scarisbrick and my yard is perfectly flat so nothing to catch on. I'll have to assume that it will sort itself out. Red Lion chap said that it should start to behave with a bit of use. I've not had to reverse with the tow car since but will have to when I get home on Wednesday.

Tony

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alive23512 View Post
    Well, there's no possibility that the handbrake was on all the way back from Scarisbrick and my yard is perfectly flat so nothing to catch on. I'll have to assume that it will sort itself out. Red Lion chap said that it should start to behave with a bit of use. I've not had to reverse with the tow car since but will have to when I get home on Wednesday.

Tony
    Good luck with that one! I separate my caravan from the car in the road, then drive it onto the drive and into place with the motormover! but when I do take it off the car, I do put the handbrake on, as the road slopes. So until the MM is engaged, the handbrake is on... I've forgotten a few times to release it before starting off again with the mover!

Funny that 'it needs a bit of use' as mine just worked as it should without a 'little bit of use' as soon as it was fitted. Hmmmm. Just check the rollers are engaged properly onto the tyres and going in the right direction.... Or something.
    Last edited by jayjay; 15-05-2017 at 10:05 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Good luck with that one! I separate my caravan from the car in the road, then drive it onto the drive and into place with the motormover! but when I do take it off the car, I do put the handbrake on, as the road slopes. So until the MM is engaged, the handbrake is on... I've forgotten a few times to release it before starting off again with the mover!

Funny that 'it needs a bit of use' as mine just worked as it should without a 'little bit of use' as soon as it was fitted. Hmmmm. Just check the rollers are engaged properly onto the tyres and going in the right direction.... Or something.
    You are so right, jayjay. Pneumatic jockey wheels are c***. Not your exact words, of course! I arrived home today and was spending too much time trying to shuffle into my Pod parking space - useless reversing technique - so I opted to use the m/mover. Lowered the front of the 'van down and guess what? Yes, a flat jockey tyre! This could only have happened when I was manoeuvring the Pod slightly, by hand, to hitch up on the campsite. Enough is enough. I'm going shopping for a solid wheel. Unfortunately, the Towsure link that you kindly provided is not working for me. A blank screen is all I get. Have you any additional info, like a part number? Reversing with the tow car seems much better now - so maybe there was something to do with ''newness''. Many thanks for your help.

Tony

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

You are so right, jayjay. Pneumatic jockey wheels are c***. Not your exact words, of course! I arrived home today and was spending too much time trying to shuffle into my Pod parking space - useless reversing technique - so I opted to use the m/mover. Lowered the front of the 'van down and guess what? Yes, a flat jockey tyre! This could only have happened when I was manoeuvring the Pod slightly, by hand, to hitch up on the campsite. Enough is enough. I'm going shopping for a solid wheel. Unfortunately, the Towsure link that you kindly provided is not working for me. A blank screen is all I get. Have you any additional info, like a part number? Reversing with the tow car seems much better now - so maybe there was something to do with ''newness''. Many thanks for your help.

Tony
    Well say it as you find it . I think a pneumatic wheel is the best if on gravel going up a small curb on wet grass or bog or mud its bigger so allow for clearance from the V metal that sticks down as the whell turns right arround when you change dirrection !!!
    BuzznDave

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David stringer For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks

Tony
    Go direct to the towsure website, then copy and paste the following into their search engine, it should come up.

Product CodeT408
    Extra wide wheel telescopic Jockey wheel - 48mm diameter with 210 x 75mm wheel

You will have to make sure that the diameter and length of this is the same as the one you have. You might be better going to a local caravan spares shop and take the one you have with you and just ask for an extra wide one. Sometimes you can just buy the wheel and change that (keeping the original jockey wheel pole, etc) - you will need some new hair grip type pins (can't remember what they are called!) to secure. I'm not sure if the hitch bracket, etc., is the same on the Go Pod. They are more or less standard though on most caravans but best to check.

My pneumatic tyre was good on gravel, but I had to carry a bike pump around with me and keep pumping it up all the time. I got through three (two popped!) before I gave up and tried something else. The solid, wide tyre is even better on my drive!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,787 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi Tony

The mover for your pod sounds very expensive, would it be possible to wait and see if you need one and then if you do have it retro fitted. I don't know but judging by the size of the pods they are probably very light and if you are reasonably fit you may be able to manage moving it yourself. I know Twolitre (Jim) moves his Romini about himself when pitching etc because I've seen him do it at our meets and he'll forgive me for saying he's no spring chicken.

Just a thought.
    I have not really been watching this thread, but just browsing today I see Graham has mentioned me so I think maybe I have something to offer.

I have had quite a lot of caravans over the years and when I (and my late wife) were younger we never had difficulty in man (and woman) handling our caravans.
    But now that I have a Romini I find that I can on reasonably flat surfaces manage to site it (for example) by myself. Although I have also learned that reversing my Romini is much harder than longer caravans which do not react so quickly (and even viciously" to slight movements of the steering wheel.
    Even at 78 I would not consider a motor-mover on my Romini just to save effort. But if I had to reverse it frequently I MIGHT change my mind. Mostly though because I now have difficulty twisting round to see through my rear window when I am reversing.
    As long as a pitch is reasonably level I just unhitch and push the Romini into place.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 18-05-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Caught the PC space bar halfway through and it posted too early.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,678 Times in 881 Posts

Yes, an interesting topic. In my previous house part of my driveway was gravel and I asked Gobur about having a pneumatic tyre fitted to the jockey wheel instead of the solid one, as I felt it would be easier to manoeuvre the 'van on the gravel. Richard, from Gobur said pneumatic tyres seemed to come complete with 'Sod's Law' attached, because they always seemed to puncture at the most inconvenient times! I found a bit of board to put over the gravel and manoeuvred the folder around on that, no probs.

With my perennial back and neck problems I very seldom twist my head to look out of the rear windows when reversing, I just use my wing mirrors. But then perhaps that's easier for me because my little 'van is only 5'8" wide, so barely a smidgeon wider than the car. Touch wood, I have had no problems reversing Rosie with the car so far. (Should I delete that last sentence? I feel as though I'm tempting fate!)
    Cynthia

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twolitre View Post
    I have not really been watching this thread, but just browsing today I see Graham has mentioned me so I think maybe I have something to offer.

I have had quite a lot of caravans over the years and when I (and my late wife) were younger we never had difficulty in man (and woman) handling our caravans.
    But now that I have a Romini I find that I can on reasonably flat surfaces manage to site it (for example) by myself. Although I have also learned that reversing my Romini is much harder than longer caravans which do not react so quickly (and even viciously" to slight movements of the steering wheel.
    Even at 78 I would not consider a motor-mover on my Romini just to save effort. But if I had to reverse it frequently I MIGHT change my mind. Mostly though because I now have difficulty twisting round to see through my rear window when I am reversing.
    As long as a pitch is reasonably level I just unhitch and push the Romini into place.
    Jim.
    Jim read the stern Warning by gopod re fitting a Motor mover and damage it can cause !!!! but if you are at an age where pushing or pulling a caravan what ever make then that is shurly your choice?pain ! damage ! health ! your choice ! then your money your ease and life stile hang the cost and do what you want thats what i did and bought a jockey wheel Hey It works for me ...
    BuzznDave

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David stringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well say it as you find it . I think a pneumatic wheel is the best if on gravel going up a small curb on wet grass or bog or mud its bigger so allow for clearance from the V metal that sticks down as the whell turns right arround when you change dirrection !!!
    But solid tyres/wheels can be obtained just as large as pneumatic ones. For obvious reasons, I've been looking at wheels a lot lately!!! I was wondering about the inverted ''V'' thing but my jockey wheel is never near that, except when it's in the full up position for towing.

Tony

Thanks

Go direct to the towsure website, then copy and paste the following into their search engine, it should come up.

Product CodeT408
    Extra wide wheel telescopic Jockey wheel - 48mm diameter with 210 x 75mm wheel

You will have to make sure that the diameter and length of this is the same as the one you have. You might be better going to a local caravan spares shop and take the one you have with you and just ask for an extra wide one. Sometimes you can just buy the wheel and change that (keeping the original jockey wheel pole, etc) - you will need some new hair grip type pins (can't remember what they are called!) to secure. I'm not sure if the hitch bracket, etc., is the same on the Go Pod. They are more or less standard though on most caravans but best to check.

My pneumatic tyre was good on gravel, but I had to carry a bike pump around with me and keep pumping it up all the time. I got through three (two popped!) before I gave up and tried something else. The solid, wide tyre is even better on my drive!
    Thanks for that, jayjay. I only need the wheel, of course. There only is one spares place near me and I'm not going back there in a hurry. The replacement wheel cost me £31.50. I had no choice but to pay up as I was going away the next day. Since I posted I have spent a bit of time looking around at what is available and the choice is huge. I have my eye on a wide solid with a metal inner wheel. Very reasonable price, too. Today I tried putting air in the tyre and it seems to be holding - will keep checking it but as I can get a solid type for little dosh I will buy one and keep it for a spare. Thanks for pointing me in a positive direction.

Tony

17. The Following User Says Thank You to alive23512 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jim.
    I've tried pushing the Pod and I can't budge it. I can swing it round with much effort and that's all. I will be forever in debt to other forum members for advising me to get a mover. You are doing very well, Jim, for your age, but as Dave says you might push your luck once to often. OT for this thread, but I had a look at the Romini towcar thread. I was very suprised at what I was reading. My 1398cc Jimny, normally a little rocket, is worse than useless at towing the Pod on any incline. Coming back from Southport with the new Pod I was down to 3rd gear twice on the M6. Very embarrassing with the HGV's romping past me. On the way to Barnard Castle recently I was down to 2cnd gear twice on the A66. Shock! Apologies to all for not putting this on the more relevant thread.

Tony

19. The Following User Says Thank You to alive23512 For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

I've tried pushing the Pod and I can't budge it. I can swing it round with much effort and that's all. I will be forever in debt to other forum members for advising me to get a mover. You are doing very well, Jim, for your age, but as Dave says you might push your luck once to often. OT for this thread, but I had a look at the Romini towcar thread. I was very suprised at what I was reading. My 1398cc Jimny, normally a little rocket, is worse than useless at towing the Pod on any incline. Coming back from Southport with the new Pod I was down to 3rd gear twice on the M6. Very embarrassing with the HGV's romping past me. On the way to Barnard Castle recently I was down to 2cnd gear twice on the A66. Shock! Apologies to all for not putting this on the more relevant thread.

Tony
    Curious, My Peugeot is only 1600cc and it tows my Romini over 80% of the time in fifth gear. Only hills steeper than 1 in 10 needing 3rd gear. And fuel consumption is not noticeably higher in spite of being less aero-dynamic than a Pod. My Gentry with over 100BHP in spite of its age pulls it much of the time in overdrive Like a 5th gear.
    As for doing "very well" in manually handling it on site - I have to be careful with my back - I hardly dare dig the garden - but I find the Romini needs little effort on level ground. When necessary I will use the car to position it on the standing but manually align it.
    My very limited experience, watching people with motor movers suggests that they would lose a race with a snail! I do not want to embarrass anyone by criticising use of them. I realise that for some with very steep drives and kerbs to mount they must be a life saver. I am fortunate that I can tow up my drive, about 1in4 in the middle, round the fish pond via the normal parking place for the Romini, and complete the "u" turn to drive back down the drive onto the road without stopping or reversing. Certainly no need for a motor mover there.
    Siting the Romini at Sherwood on sloping grass was about as bad as I have ever encountered. I did have to use the jockey brake to stop the Romini running away.
    Could it be that leaving the "kitchen sink" and a few rather unnecessary things at home has a bearing??
    Jim.

By the way! Those motor movers are heavy. Could that be why You cannot push your Pod? And also why your car struggles?
    Last edited by Twolitre; 18-05-2017 at 10:46 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Pennine Pullman Folding Camper
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 Times in 2,056 Posts

The Suzuki Jimny is only rated to tow 450kgs braked or 350kgs unbraked. I would imagine a Go Pod with a mover fitted is pushing or exceeding that limit.

Aside from the low towing capacities, Jimnys are generally not recommended for towing because of the cars very small footprint on the road.

EDIT:

Checking on the Go Pod website indicates that the Pod has a MiRO weight of -520Kg (545Kg including the free leisure battery) and a MTPLM of 750Kg.

Looking around the web some sites seem to indicate the Jimny has a towing capacity of only 450kgs while others say 1300kgs so it is hard to say whats accurate. I can't believe that 1300kgs is right though as the Jimny only weighs about 1100kgs itself.
    Last edited by Rob B; 19-05-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

Tony
    HI Tony Gopod going forward or LorR the jockey wheel faces rearwards and is wellaway fron the V bracket in reverse the jockey wheel will turn right arround and can stick under the V bracket if its not higher than it would be with a small wheel even the small wheel will foul it if low enough!! kind regards AND keep podding!?buzzndave
    BuzznDave

24. The Following User Says Thank You to David stringer For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

Curious, My Peugeot is only 1600cc and it tows my Romini over 80% of the time in fifth gear. Only hills steeper than 1 in 10 needing 3rd gear. And fuel consumption is not noticeably higher in spite of being less aero-dynamic than a Pod. My Gentry with over 100BHP in spite of its age pulls it much of the time in overdrive Like a 5th gear.
    As for doing "very well" in manually handling it on site - I have to be careful with my back - I hardly dare dig the garden - but I find the Romini needs little effort on level ground. When necessary I will use the car to position it on the standing but manually align it.
    My very limited experience, watching people with motor movers suggests that they would lose a race with a snail! I do not want to embarrass anyone by criticising use of them. I realise that for some with very steep drives and kerbs to mount they must be a life saver. I am fortunate that I can tow up my drive, about 1in4 in the middle, round the fish pond via the normal parking place for the Romini, and complete the "u" turn to drive back down the drive onto the road without stopping or reversing. Certainly no need for a motor mover there.
    Siting the Romini at Sherwood on sloping grass was about as bad as I have ever encountered. I did have to use the jockey brake to stop the Romini running away.
    Could it be that leaving the "kitchen sink" and a few rather unnecessary things at home has a bearing??
    Jim.

By the way! Those motor movers are heavy. Could that be why You cannot push your Pod? And also why your car struggles?
    I THINK WEIGHT is the critical factor here as always thanks for your
    input to the thread Jim .. re the speed of a snail the mover on mine is on a slow setting It can move but more danger of driver error at a faster speed and its gives merryment to the watches as i am sure you remember from your boating/ locking days regards buzzndave
    BuzznDave

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David stringer For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks

I was very suprised at what I was reading. My 1398cc Jimny, normally a little rocket, is worse than useless at towing the Pod on any incline. Coming back from Southport with the new Pod I was down to 3rd gear twice on the M6. Very embarrassing with the HGV's romping past me. On the way to Barnard Castle recently I was down to 2cnd gear twice on the A66. Shock! Apologies to all for not putting this on the more relevant thread.

Tony
    Here's a good site to check whether your car and caravan match and what sort of performance you can expect from your car when towing.

http://www.towcar.info/

There are so many lightweight cars out there now (good petrol consumption and speed when not towing) which are not so good for towing. Not only because of the weight or cc of engine either. I nearly bought an automatic car (1600cc) engine, but it had a 'constant variable' auto gearbox which, it turned out when I checked, wouldn't pull a peanut! I came across a few others were rejected for similar reasons.

My Unit
    Thanks

Here's a good site to check whether your car and caravan match and what sort of performance you can expect from your car when towing.

http://www.towcar.info/

There are so many lightweight cars out there now (good petrol consumption and speed when not towing) which are not so good for towing. Not only because of the weight or cc of engine either. I nearly bought an automatic car (1600cc) engine, but it had a 'constant variable' auto gearbox which, it turned out when I checked, wouldn't pull a peanut! I came across a few others were rejected for similar reasons.
    At one time, fitting an after-market oil cooler to an automatic transmission vehicle for towing was usually very necessary to prevent gasification of the fluid when working hard. I am not sure what the situation is now, but I think it would be wise to ask questions of an expert before considering an automatic as a tow-car. Especially in hilly areas.
    Jim.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks

At one time, fitting an after-market oil cooler to an automatic transmission vehicle for towing was usually very necessary to prevent gasification of the fluid when working hard. I am not sure what the situation is now, but I think it would be wise to ask questions of an expert before considering an automatic as a tow-car. Especially in hilly areas.
    Jim.
    Very wise, Jim. My last car (an old, 93K on the clock, Nissan Almera) had one fitted as standard! They were way ahead of their time, the Nissan cars. Not sure about this one - it doesn't even have a temperature gauge! However, trusting to luck and the AA, I've towed it up and down hills, reversed it over and over (because it's hard to reverse, just like yours!) and done long distances in it without the temp light coming on. I can't seem to find out if it has an oil cooler fitted as standard, though. It does, however, have lots of computerised bits and bobs to drive me insane!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

Are there any other going go pod owners out there ? Buzzndave with peg the pod
    in march there was 14 new Pods in the yard at going Southport/ awaiting new owners .and 32 of us will meet up in October for a pow wow.
    BuzznDave

33. The Following User Says Thank You to David stringer For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234