Thread: Paradiso folding caravan/trailer tent wanted

My Unit
    Still looking
    Thanks

Default Paradiso folding caravan/trailer tent wanted

I am looking to buy one of these,have seen them for sale infrequently on various sites but not been quick enough to buy.I even looked on EBay Dutch! But my Dutch is non existent and don't know how to buy such an item from abroad. Please keep a look out for me,willing to travel for right van/trailer tent.

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,145 Times in 2,380 Posts

You just missed one on Ebay!

There are a lot of similar folding caravans though, so if these particular ones are proving to be hard to find, you could always go for something similar. Does it have to be that exact model?

I had the same problem when I decided I wanted a small Kip caravan. These are also very rare... one came along and I bought it, then threw a lot of money at it, did it up and stopped it leaking.. long story! But I thought I was going to have to drive to Holland and buy one and bring it home as there are very few in the country. The newer Kips are there a-plenty, but not the little classic ones.

Have a look at the Esterelle and Gobur folding caravans, they are so similar that I can't tell the difference.
    Last edited by jayjay; 27-10-2016 at 08:04 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jayjay For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Pennine Pullman Folding Camper
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,034 Times in 2,121 Posts

There is a Paradiso owners club and they have a facebook group. Frequently has units for sale on there.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 973 Posts

Yep, I'm with jayjay on this one, and as I see you're from Lincolnshire you are not a million miles from the Gobur main dealer. (They're in Melton Constable, near Holt, Norfolk.) Unfortunately Gobur has ceased production of new folders but are remaining in business to deal in pre-owned 'vans, and they usually have a good range of 'vans on the premises available for sale.

Gobur folding caravans are not cheap but they are certainly well made. Mine is almost 30 years old, though no-one ever believes me when I tell them that, as she's in such good condition. Because the roof is one-piece and overlaps the bodywork when both folded and upright, you don't get the damp problem so prevalent in conventional 'vans of a similar age. They have a very loyal Owners' Club, and customer service from Gobur is nothing short of excellent! Here's Rosie:

Rosie makes her debut. (Thetford).jpg

Worth a look?

Table - before.jpg

Kitchen (tidy!).jpg

Whoops, I don't know why the last photo fell over? It had already been rotated on my files.

Visit www.goburcaravans.co.uk for further information. There are lots of different specs to choose from. By the way, I have nothing to do with this business apart from being a very satisfied customer and enthusiastic owner!
    Cynthia.
    Last edited by CyberCynth; 28-10-2016 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Apology for format

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Paradiso's are really folding campers rather than folding caravans. They are also 4 berth which is quite rare to find in a folding caravan.

They are also achingly cool.

Paradiso 1.jpgParadiso 2.jpgParadiso 3.jpgParadiso 4.JPG

They were made by a firm called Apeldoorn and you sometimes see them advertised on ebay under that name without the Paradiso bit so its worth searching on that as well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Still looking
    Thanks

Thanks for all the information. I do like the simplicity of the Paradiso, as Rob states, more of a folding camper than a caravan.Can I access the owners club without having a facebook account?

Decisions decisions

My Unit
    Still looking
    Thanks

Default Still looking!

To continue the story I have found several Paradiso's or 'vouwagens' as they are called,in Holland! What a surprise ! Looked on www.markplaatz.nl.very interesting version of our various internet selling sites.

Now undecided between a folding camper or caravan or a Dandy trailer tent. Never mind a few months to go before I will venture out!

My Unit
    Eriba Puck L 230GT
    Thanks

As with anything folding, there is the element of getting caught in the rain putting it up or taking it down. This was for us the main reason why we sold our Combi Camp trailer tent for the Eriba caravan. In all other respects it was a brilliant buy, easy to store, lightweight, made little difference to the performance of the car or fuel consumption. We had a "Family" version which is hinged on the side and gave us the most spacious and comfortable bed approx. 7'6 by 5', using the whole trailer length and width as a bed complete with underbed storage. We never had an awning as with only two of us it was unnecessary and only more canvas to mess with.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fenman For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Still looking
    Thanks

Default what to choose?

I am now interested in the 'baby' of trailer tents the Pennine Aztec. As it is only me who goes 'camping' the size it about right and i should be able to put it up myself (no awning needed) so now I have to find one !

PS Paradiso's are rare in this country and I suppose any parts would also be hard to find.

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
    I am now interested in the 'baby' of trailer tents the Pennine Aztec. As it is only me who goes 'camping' the size it about right and i should be able to put it up myself (no awning needed) so now I have to find one !

PS Paradiso's are rare in this country and I suppose any parts would also be hard to find.
    An Aztec is a folding Camper not a trailer Tent. I'm not saying that to be pedantic just so that you can widen your search terms on ebay etc.

We had an Aztec until recently, brilliant bit of kit, just too small once our second child arrived. I have to say though, while you can put one up on your own, there are easier options for a solo set up - the Cabanon Venus being (in my humble opinion) the best compromise between comfort and set up time.

if you are set on an Aztec, also consider the Conway Challenger which is a very similar layout and set up but with a higher quality (Cabanon made) Canvas.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Still looking
    Thanks

Default Folding Camper search over?

Bought an ancient Pennine Aztec for not much money,a few repairs and a bit warmer weather and I will be off ! Has an awning that I do not need if anyone wants one cheap! Problem is there are some poles missing ! Aztec has mains hook up installed plus a leisure battery with a solar charger but no 12 volt plugs,strange?

It's 1990 but canvas is fine,zip a bit iffy,don't know how to fix this.Gas and foot operated water pump fine.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Warren For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Eriba Puck L 230GT
    Thanks

Good luck with your new Aztec, hope you have many happy trips with it.
    The older I get the more I think less is more. We have had the all singing and dancing campers and caravans over the years but are very happy with our little Eriba. Two gas rings is all we need, we have a gas fire but prefer to use a small fan heater in the winter, the fridge is the most extravagant item for us and we have no water heater to freeze in winter, unless we leave water in the kettle !
    Simple pleasures are the best.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to fenman For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,145 Times in 2,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post

It's 1990 but canvas is fine,zip a bit iffy,don't know how to fix this.Gas and foot operated water pump fine.

Congratulations, I'm glad you found a nice one. What's wrong with the zip? If it's just that it doesn't slide up and down very well, try rubbing a candle along the teeth, and work it up and down a bit, that works well with those sort of zips. It's a good idea to treat all the zips to a bit of candle wax occasionally anyway. Post a pic if it's a different problem and we can advise you.

My Unit
    Romini (Little Roo).
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 699 Posts

Default Paradiso

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Congratulations, I'm glad you found a nice one. What's wrong with the zip? If it's just that it doesn't slide up and down very well, try rubbing a candle along the teeth, and work it up and down a bit, that works well with those sort of zips. It's a good idea to treat all the zips to a bit of candle wax occasionally anyway. Post a pic if it's a different problem and we can advise you.
    We used to use solid piece of beeswax on the zips of divers dry suits. Bug heavy duty zips, more often thsn not, underwater. Loosens up the zip nicely and glides easier.

Pam

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pamsicle For This Useful Post: