Thread: Wild camping Northumberland

My Unit
    Romini (Little Roo).
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 699 Posts

Default Wild camping Northumberland

http://www.tractorsandtents.com/camping/

I came across this site, whilst browing other Northumberland sites. Not a wild camper myself. I could mske an exception with this one.

However, 1 review on uk campsites stated it was £20 per night. They charge £5 per person per night. Minimum of £10. If you are by yourself could be tricky.

The reason I mentioned it, was because I know the area and you can't fault the scenery. Plus if you check the website it is more "wildish" than wild.

Pam

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pamsicle For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 3,566 Posts

How can they call it wild camping if they charge? I thought the whole idea of wild camping is that it is free and you camp on your own in a out of the way back water.

This place is a campsite.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

My Unit
    Romini (Little Roo).
    Thanks

Default Wild camping in Northumberland

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    How can they call it wild camping if they charge? I thought the whole idea of wild camping is that it is free and you camp on your own in a out of the way back water.

You're right Graham. Tends to defeat the object. Maybe that's why they use the word "wildish"

Pam

My Unit
    Toyota Hiace
    Thanks

Not wild camping, but Druridge bay is beautiful. I come from that part of the world and used to love going up there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pomona For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome Duo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 725 Posts

Perhaps "Wildish" because they have limited facilities but it certainly looks a lovely area. It's not wildish price wise though especially as wild campers pay nowt.

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Here is an example of our impoverished Farmers using their imaginations to diversify. We have the same in Cornwall - No proper toilet blocks a few of the plastic type. No showers - and apparently high charges.
    I'm off to find my own little corner to park-up.
    Jon

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 859 Posts

If you want somewhere with facilities near a town for shopping etc then Alnwick Rugby Club is £10 a night (£15 with electric). Showers and loos permanently open. Clubhouse bar most evenings. Supermarket 5 mind away and 10-15 mind into town. Alnwick gardens are spectacular.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianTheSnail For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,395 Posts

Probably a nice spot, but ludicrously expensive at £15 a night with few facilities:

Prices & Important Information

We have a 2 night minimum stay (3 nights in Summer Holidays or Bank Holiday Weekends). Prices are as follows:

Camping – £7.50 per adult, £3.50 per child (minimum pitch fee is £15/night)
    Campervans – £7.50 per adult, £3.50 per child (minimum pitch fee is £15/night)

There's decent campsites about that charge a lot less. No thanks. And definitely not wild camping!

My Unit
    Romahome HyLo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 744 Posts

I think they're living in a dreamworld expecting people to pay £15 for next to nothing.

As for 'wildcamping', they will need a site licence and camping on land which is licensed for camping is known as a campsite. Camping on a campsite most certainly isn't wild-camping!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karenw For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks

Caz if your comment was about Alnwick Rugby Club it's all horses for courses. We spent 4 nights there. I'm fairly certain that had we not wanted hookup it would have been £10. Facilities included toilets, good shower (admittedly it was a communal not cubicle shower but during the day time we were the only users), fresh water and waste disposal.

It's on the edge of town and town sites are always more expensive. But then again we like to park up and not move the van so out of town means public transport and I've yet to qualify for a bus pass. Often in town works out cheaper for us.

We were considering using the site again and getting the bus service from Alwnick which would take us as far as Newcastle or Berwick or Craster, Seahouses, Bamburgh etc. especially if I get a bus pass (no mention in any manifesto to remove them and only a year to wait for mine)

I know the forum was about wilding but I thought if the original poster needed a night on a site to dump waste, shower etc £10 wasn't a bad deal especially if he wanted to visit Alnwick or its gardens saving the town parking fees.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianTheSnail For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks

A bit off topic but what do you wilders do about dumping waste water, particularly loo waste?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianTheSnail For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,395 Posts

No Brian - it was Hemscott Hill Farm, the site linked to in Pam's post. The bit in blue in my post is a copy & paste showing their charges, £15 for a campervan, minimum 2 nights so that's 30 squid and as they say, facilities are basic.

Here's more - All that exists in the camping area are compost loos and basic washing up facilities. New for 2017 (from July onwards) are showers at the farm that campers can use. Before July there will be shower huts for you to hang your own solar showers in. You will also need to take everything, including rubbish, away with you.

You can't park your car by your tent All cars must be parked in the designated parking areas overnight. They have a number of pitches for campervans, however we don’t have servicing for motorhomes.

No mention of anywhere to empty the loo.

You have asked about dumping waste water, particularly emptying the loo. Best not go to that site then!
    I tend to visit a site for a day or two at least once a week and loo is dumped there. For a weekend I just bring it home if no facilities where I am staying. This weekend I stayed 5 nights and loo was only about half full when I emptied it before leaving. Probably not such a problem for a solo vanner as a couple. I've never resorted to it yet but mine fits in a large shopping bag and there's always Tesco/Asda etc or a public loo if I get desperate.

My van has a huge waste tank, I believe it's 70 litres same as the fresh water tank. Apart from what the dog drinks, I only use about 6 - 7 litres in a weekend, so the amount of waste water is minimal. On a field I just let it run into the ground as farmers usually ask me to do. On a site it goes into the tank which gets emptied when I remember, often at home - where it waters the garden.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    C15 Romahome Hylo Grand Finale
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
    A bit off topic but what do you wilders do about dumping waste water, particularly loo waste?
    Hi Brian.

Loo waste goes down a public toilet. I used to remove the waste part of the toilet, poor it down a public sit down loo (not urinal) and flush. Job done! The chemicals in the loo meant that there were no solids so it was an easy job.

Grey water either went the same way, or down a drain in a lay by followed by some fresh water to wash the drain grill.

Hope me this helps.

Panda.
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

My Unit
    Romini (Little Roo).
    Thanks

Default Wild camping

I might just have a drive out to find this site.I only have a vague idea where it is but it might be easier to spot, if there are lots of campers there It is about 10 -12 miutes away.I've been meaning to try out the Drift in Cafe, which is on the same road.
    Druridge has been in my local news a lot recently because there are plans to open an opencast mine, across the road from the dunes, it would seem there is a great need for coal. If that was the case, why was the last mine in Northumberland, a couple of miles up the road, closed several years ago. Anyway, I digress.

Pam

My Unit
    R20 Lo (2013)
    Thanks

In the 8 years we have been motorhoming we only ever use the porta-potti for liquid waste. For anything else we use public loos, service stations, pubs, restaurants, etc, when wilding. In fact on our trip around Ireland we left the porta-potti at home to make room in our little R20lo for additional clothes, etc

These days we always carry a couple of large fabric conditioner bottles with wide necks which we use in the night (again liquid waste only!). Lady J also has a "she-wee", which is basically a funnel, shaped to fit over the female parts and guide the stream into the bottle. We got the idea from a couple of lady campervanners a few years ago. In the morning one of us carries the bottles to the nearest loo for emptying & rinsing, in a discrete cloth carrier bag

We also carry an emergency kit (google "travel john") just in case one of us gets caught short in the other department, but have never needed to use it as yet.

Travelling with just fabric conditioner bottles does make you more conscious of where the nearest loos are and the opening times!

Mike & Jane

My Unit
    R20 Lo (2013)
    Thanks

Just to return to the topic of wild camping in Northumberland, one of our favourite proper wild camping spots is the carpark just this side of the Lindisfarne causeway. Bit further up the coast than Druridge, but lots to do around the area. Probably enough space for around 6 small campers and popular with wilders

Mike & Jane

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesdoctor For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini (Little Roo).
    Thanks

Default Wilding

Quote Originally Posted by bluesdoctor View Post
    Just to return to the topic of wild camping in Northumberland, one of our favourite proper wild camping spots is the carpark just this side of the Lindisfarne causeway. Bit further up the coast than Druridge, but lots to do around the area. Probably enough space for around 6 small campers and popular with wilders

Mike & Jane
    Know just the car park you mean. Always popular. I have been a few times to the temp holiday site which is is one field over from the road and car park. Huge field, water on tap and you can get rid of your waste. I think it's about 8.50 a night now.

Pam

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pamsicle For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome pod on Daihatsu Hi-Jet 1300
    Thanks

My solution emptying the loo is the public Loos - I do not use the Blue Stuff - Lidels Biological Wash liquid FORMIL BIOLOGICAL is a better solution. We try to restrict use to Pee only, but as I suffer from IBS this is not always possible - I feel for Sandra.
    Grey water goes in a hedgerow - I have stayed on sites where you are requested to empty grey water into the hedges - if they are on septic tanks it costs money to remove.

Jon