Thread: Waterhead, Lake Windermere

Thanks

Default Waterhead, Lake Windermere

The car park at Waterhead only charges between 9am and 6pm.

If one drives towards the back of the car park, there is a small area hidden from the road and most of the rest of the car park. An added bonus is that one of the houses backing on has a BT Wi-Fi hot spot.

I was there this last week for just one night. What it's like in high season is anyone's guess.

Google Map - 54.421762, -2.961634

Waterhead CP.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RogerV For This Useful Post:

DM1

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,885 Posts

Thanks Roger. That sounds nice in theory, but it seems self contradictory. At the top it says 9am to 6pm, then in the small print it says charges apply 24 hours a day. The bit that would put me off is that it looks as if you can't actually pay unless you have an on line available: we can't see the screen that it refers to. Maybe that allows you to pay without an on line or a 4 year old to show you how.
    If you are sure you can stay 6pm to 9am, that is very useful and will go in my 'places to stay' folder.

Let us know if you get a letter demanding parking fee plus £50 costs, won't you?

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 973 Posts

I see the sign refers to "regulations", but doesn't display them or tell you where to see them.

Apparently you can park your van overnight but not camp in it. See:-

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visit...torhomeparking
    Geoff

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Artoo0 For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    going gopod
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artoo0 View Post
    I see the sign refers to "regulations", but doesn't display them or tell you where to see them.

Apparently you can park your van overnight but not camp in it. See:-

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visit...torhomeparking
    the Lake District Park planning officer told me its an offence to wild camp in the Lake District national park .
    BuzznDave

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David stringer View Post
    the Lake District Park planning officer told me its an offence to wild camp in the Lake District national park .
    Well, you shouldn't have asked!

Anyway when I stay in a layby somewhere I am not wild, I am domesticated in my dwelling. And what's the difference if I stay overnight in a campervan or a car? And just because I have my eyes closed it doesn't mean I am sleeping, I might be a Buddhist meditating. And just because I have my eyes closed wearing pyjamas under a duvet it doesn't mean I am sleeping, I am meditating and it's cold outside. And how do you know that I have stopped here overnight? In fact I drove up from Zummerzet and rather than continue tired and a danger to myself and other road users, I took the advice of the Highways Agency whatever they are called, and stopped for a rest.
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post: