Thread: Can any one please recommend a garage ?

Thanks

Default Can any one please recommend a garage ?

Need a decent garage that deals with T4 Topaz VW transporters in Stockport Cheshire area ? Garages to date haven't had a clue how to even change a brake light ! Please can anybody help ?

My Unit
    VW T5
    Thanks

I would suggest you look at the VWT4 owners forum, there are lots of recommendations there. I found a very good auto Electrican on my T5 who did lots of jobs for me recently so my experience has been positive.
    Good luck

Thanks

Default Recommended Garage ?

Many Thanks DM1. Much appreciated .Mash

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,032 Times in 1,709 Posts

I have no clue whatever how some 'mechanics' get their employment. Years ago I bought a VW Devon camper because the wife couldn't select any gears and the husband admitted it was very difficult. I got it very very cheap and it was in excellent condition other than the gammy gear change. They had taken it to a VW garage who said it needed a new £1400 gearbox. Anyway I bought it for about £200. I too took it to three garages who also said it needs a new gearbox at well over £1000. I got underneath it, something that none of them could be bothered to do obviously, and looked at the wobbly gear linkage. I took the plate off where the selector entered the box and found a worn 'marble with a hole in the middle'. I went to the VW garage that wanted £1400, got the 'marble with a hole in the middle' for 32p, fitted it and the gear change was now a flick of a limp wrist job. It took about an hour to change the marble thing, I didn't even have to remove the gearbox. I sold it for about £2500 if I remember correctly.
    More recently I took my petrol car to Westway Nissan in Coventry for a full service, the price included renewing the spark plugs. They charged me the full price but didn't change the plugs. When I asked why not, they said it is a diesel engine. I exploded. A main franchised dealer cannot even tell the difference between a diesel and petrol engine, neither can they look inside the petrol flap and see the words 'Min 93 Octane petrol'. They can't read, they can't change spark plugs and they don't know what a petrol engine sounds or smells like. Then when I pointed out that it was indeed a petrol engine they went away and after a bit of thought they came back with 'It's a wankel engine'. I exploded again. It isn't a wankel engine, it has four pistons in cylindrical barrels. They didn't refund the cost of the plugs they had charged me for, nor the labour which they had charged me for. I took the car home, bought and changed the plugs myself. Then I put the most strongly worded evaluation of the garage I could think of, on Trust Pilot.
    I do know a good trustworthy garage in Rugby which is where I take the heavy jobs I can't do now, like lift gearboxes in and out.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,364 Posts

My garage has handled every vehicle I've taken to them for the last 8 years, I don't think they'll have any problems dealing with my T4 when it needs something doing. I'd recommend them but sadly it's 65 miles from Stockport.

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 832 Posts

Gasgas, your story beggars belief....... Even I can tell the difference between a diesel and a petrol engine. The diesels usually stink and rattle. I wonder what type of engine oil was used in the oil change? Oil of Olay Complete Care Fluid probably.

I am ashamed to learn this was a Nissan dealership. When I've had Nissans in the past I have always had very good, niggle free treatment from them. I hope you've reported this garage to Nissan HQ as well as damning them on Trustpilot, or their 'mechanics' are going to do someone's car a nasty mischief before long.
    Cynthia.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome C15 Hy/lo
    Thanks

I used to take my vans to a certain garage and on the odd the odd occasion they would raise my eyebrows with what they said was wrong, I popped in when I first purchased chitty and he told me to cut my losses and get rid of it but as many now know she is fully mot's and on the road. I took the camper back to him for a pre-mot and he told me my welding wouldn't pass because the weld should be a continuous weld from one end to the other I told him the sills of a C15 are not structural and therefore can be spot welded as it was in the factory, he then pointed out that the rear section had no weld at all, until I asked him if they had come out with a new invention to allow you to weld to fiberglass, I asked him to take it off the ramp and I took it elsewhere. It's garages like has been mentioned in all posts why people distrust a lot of garages. They no longer want to repair anything unless it's a straight swap. The guy who sprayed my camper told me there isn't a lot of panel beaters about any more they just replace the whole panel because it's quicker and easy money for them.
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Brown For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,364 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    My garage has handled every vehicle I've taken to them for the last 8 years, I don't think they'll have any problems dealing with my T4 when it needs something doing. I'd recommend them but sadly it's 65 miles from Stockport.
    True to form, since this post my T4 has been MOT'd in November and had a full service last week at my local garage. They can handle anything up to large van/small motorhome size - they serviced/MOT'd my Swift Sundance when I had it, also my Autosleeper Frisky and Romahome C15. Plus all the family cars for the last 10 years or so.