Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glamping and Camping and Caravan Club Sites - for or against

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 3,253 Posts

Default Glamping and Camping and Caravan Club Sites - for or against

Read the article on our website then come back here and discuss. Are you for or against?

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/glam...r-against.html

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

My Unit
    ih 630 sl n class
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 702 Posts

will probably use more THS and or private sites if it becomes prevalent. that's business. just vote with your wallet, perhaps they will see the light, or pigs may fly!

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,343 Posts

I don't disagree with C & C C seeking to make more profit by offering this sort of accomodation on sites - more profit means more money available for investment in sites and better deals for members.

However, I do feel strongly that provisions of this sort should be in addition to traditional pitches and should not impact upon what is available for tourers. I think it is essential that they still offer basic grass pitches for all types of unit - not everyone wants or needs EHU and/or hardstanding all the time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,728 Posts

There is no doubt that "wilding" and other means of cheap over-nighting such as on pub car parks etc. reduce the use of registered camp sites by campers or caravaners etc.
    If we do not support them to save money then surely the site-owners are going to look elsewhere for a means to sustain their income?
    I have always tried to "pay my way" in life and over the years from 1970 when I bought my first caravan I have never over-nighted anywhere but on a campsite for which I have paid. The one exceptin was a farmers field overlooking Harlech when we could not find a free campsite pitch. And we paid for that priveledge too.
    It is surely up to us to give sites sufficient support to keep pitches available for us?
    Maybe not strictly relevent but "you cannot have your cake and eat it".
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

My Unit
    Autotrail Excel 600
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twolitre View Post
    There is no doubt that "wilding" and other means of cheap over-nighting such as on pub car parks etc. reduce the use of registered camp sites by campers or caravaners etc
    Jim.
    Graham can!
    derek b and Babs

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek b For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post

However, I do feel strongly that provisions of this sort should be in addition to traditional pitches and should not impact upon what is available for tourers. I think it is essential that they still offer basic grass pitches for all types of unit - not everyone wants or needs EHU and/or hardstanding all the time.

Sadly they are becoming rarer all the time Caz.

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

My Unit
    Romahome HyLo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 731 Posts

It's ploys like this which can drive away campers, particularly those with more traditional camping values..

I was a member of the C&CC some years ago and occasionally used their sites but found them to be very commercial with pitches far smaller than non-club sites, prices higher and increasingly few basic grass pitches available with an emphasis on up-selling to EHU pitches - although I always refused to pay for an EHU pitch when I had no intention of using EHU. It's expensive and not what I want from camping, whether in a tent or van and hence I always prefer to wildcamp (never in pub car parks, but in quiet harbours, riversides, canal banks etc) where I can enjoy the peace, seclusion, nature, wildlife and meet locals.

Having been involved in setting up a campsite myself some years ago, I can understand why commercial sites are looking to maximise their income but seeing this sort of use of C&CC club funds would drive me further away, both from the club itself and its sites. If I ever did need to use a site, then I would look for a quiet farm offering space on a grassy field, not a formally laid-out and privet-screened pitch and only pay for EHU if I needed it.

In contrast, my husband went camping in France last summer and found a completely different outlook on campsites there - large pitches without crowding, rare EHU, families quietly enjoying their break (no screaming kids, loose dogs, TVs blaring along the uniform rows of white vans...) and definitely no log cabins, safari tents or mobile homes and he enjoyed it.

I have a tentative future plan for some long-distance cycle-touring which will mean occasional use of sites but I wouldn't touch a site like this - only ones offering cheap basic camping, ie quiet location, grass pitch, space for a tent, hot showers and clean loos ie a return to real, traditional camping which, at one time, I thought was amongst the objectives of the C&CC.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to karenw For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Never tried glamping myself but can see the attraction for some people and see the financial attraction for the site owners. I tend to use campsites when I want EHU but don't really like the sites that have a lot of statics, lodges etc . Otherwise the big advantage of a small motorhome is that it is relatively easy to find a good spot to wild camp unobtrusively.
    I've often found that the small, quiet private sites are rather more expensive than C&CC sited...not a member of CC so cannot comment on those.
    Have not come across any that offer glamping as such but have seen the odd "wigwam"

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,943 Posts

I think that the market dictates whats on offer. More and more sites are cutting down on touring pitches and using the space for pods/statics/lodges/safari tents etc but thats because there is a demand for that kind of holiday. While it may be frustrating for those of us who prefer to tour with our own unit i don't think you can blame the operators for responding to a changing market. These things are cyclical however. Static vans were all the rage in the 80's and 90's before touring became more popular again in the naughties. In another few years when the novelty has worn off you will see sites ripping out tired old glamping pods to make room for more tents and caravans.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,348 Times in 1,588 Posts

If we do not support them to save money then surely the site-owners are going to look elsewhere for a means to sustain their income?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    i don't think you can blame the operators for responding to a changing market.

I can see that might be the case with a commercial, private site, but here we are talking about the Camping and Caravanning Club, which was set up to give campsites for members with Tents, Caravans and Motorhomes somewhere to stay. I think the sites get lots of use and therefore revenue, going by the fact that we cannot get on them at some times in the year when they are fully booked.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauline For This Useful Post:

Flo

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    I can see that might be the case with a commercial, private site, but here we are talking about the Camping and Caravanning Club, which was set up to give campsites for members with Tents, Caravans and Motorhomes somewhere to stay. I think the sites get lots of use and therefore revenue, going by the fact that we cannot get on them at some times in the year when they are fully booked.
    My dear wife has said exactly what I was going to say, it's the Camping and Caravanning Club NOT the Glamping and self catering holiday club.

Graham

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Long before the advent of Glamping the club was ripping up grass pitches for tents and replacing them with hardstanding for motorhomes and caravans. One of the reasons i don't like the club is that they have never been on the side of canvas campers (not in my lifetime at any rate). Now i'm afraid its the turn of touring caravans and motorhomes to suffer the same loss of service as the club pursues more profitable options. Like it or not the club is no longer a club, it is a commercial entity like any other.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,343 Posts

There is no doubt that "wilding" and other means of cheap over-nighting such as on pub car parks etc. reduce the use of registered camp sites by campers or caravaners etc.
    I have always tried to "pay my way" in life and over the years from 1970 when I bought my first caravan I have never over-nighted anywhere but on a campsite for which I have paid. The one exceptin was a farmers field overlooking Harlech when we could not find a free campsite pitch. And we paid for that priveledge too.
    It is surely up to us to give sites sufficient support to keep pitches available for us?
    Jim.
    I don't agree that "wilding" and other means of cheap over-nighting such as on pub car parks etc. reduces the use of registered camp sites by campers or caravaners etc. Tenters and caravanners can't do it anyway and they constitute a greater percentage of campers than do motorhomers. Most of the campers who "wild" camp don't do it to reduce their use of registered camp sites but rather to increase their opportunites to enjoy using their vans without having to greatly increase the costs of their hobby. Since I retired I have doubled the number of nights I have enjoyed away from home, but not doubled the costs, although I have actually used campsites more than previously because I've been away more and I like a proper site every few days to enjoy the facilities.

I like to go away all year round - many sites are closed in winter. Those that are open (Club sites excluded) often charge more than a Premier Inn does!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    ITenters and caravanners can't do it anyway and they constitute a greater percentage of campers than do motorhomers.
    I like to go away all year round - many sites are closed in winter. Those that are open (Club sites excluded) often charge more than a Premier Inn does!
    Tenters were the original and real wild campers - but that is another issue - totally agree that premier inn and similar are often cheaper - not that I have had the benefit but have been taken aback when friends have told me how much they have paid for a night at such places and I compare this to what I ahve paid on a camp site

My Unit
    R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Long before the advent of Glamping the club was ripping up grass pitches for tents and replacing them with hardstanding for motorhomes and caravans. One of the reasons i don't like the club is that they have never been on the side of canvas campers (not in my lifetime at any rate). Now i'm afraid its the turn of touring caravans and motorhomes to suffer the same loss of service as the club pursues more profitable options. Like it or not the club is no longer a club, it is a commercial entity like any other.
    When we started camping 50 years or so ago the C&CC was called just the Camping Club of Great Britain. However with the relative decline of tent camping and the increased use of first caravans and then motorcaravans the club changed its name to the C&CC and to cope with the vagaries of British weather started providing the all weather surfaces that these units required. It was though, supposed to be a club for TOURING campers, caravanners etc. There is nothing touring about a static pod, tent or chalet. The club is not a commercial organization and whilst it has members it has a guaranteed income i.e the membership fee. It also, let's remember, gains commission on its other activities associated with its membership e.g booking ferries, providing overseas tours, car and motorhome insurance etc. few commercial campsites can compete with that. I am totally opposed to any activities that the club engages in that impact on a member's ability to obtain a pitch whilst touring. All to often lately we have been on sites where a good percentage of the pitches were taken up by empty caravans and motorhomes who were presumably seasonal pitches, these are almost always on hard-standings when these are often needed especially in wet weather. Like many other people I can see my use of club sites declining in favour of CLs .

Janet

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sitter For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 903 Posts

Just because the media's contrived nickname "glamping" has passed into common usage doesn't mean it's not camping.

It may not be the type of camping we'd personally choose (though in pre-van days we did once stay in one of these
    http://www.shielingholidays.co.uk/Shielings.html),
    but just how prescriptive can we be? Some would insist that camping can only be done in a tent and can't involve the use of any equipment or facility that you didn't bring yourself - preferably in a rucksack on your back!

If there's a demand from members, or people who may be persuaded to become members, then surely C&CC should be looking to meet that demand.

Getting the balance right is the difficult bit of course. If there are empty "pods" or glamping tents while a tenter or vanner can't get a suitable pitch, then the balance is wrong. But it's equally wrong if potential "glampers" are being turned away while basic grass pitches lie empty just in case a "real" camper might want one. They'll never get it precisely right of course

We've never yet failed to get the type of pitch we wanted on a C&CC Club site, either for a tent or a van, though we rarely use them in High Season and usually want EHU since we got the van.
    Geoff

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artoo0 For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 686 Posts

Without knowing the background to the decision it is hard to know if this is necessary or just a gimmick to attract new members and more money. If it is just more money and profit then I have concerns. Personally I prefer more 'informal' camping. By this I mean more grass pitches and not having to share a site with statics and permanent styles of accommodation. This is because I like to feel that I am a bit more away from the suburban feel of many large campsites.

I tend not to use the main campsites but prefer to go to rallies which tend to be on farms or just open fields with no facilities to speak of.

So I am not really helping to support the club sites and if the numbers of tourers, tent campers and people who want basic camping is dropping, making it difficult to maintain that kind of pitch, then I suppose they have no alternative but to make decisions to improve income or we may lose sites anyway. We can only hope that they have done their market research properly and that this change is going to help keep the facilities going and is balanced with provision of touring pitches.

I do feel though that profit should not be the main criteria for a non profit making club but they do have to cover costs and if we, more traditional type of camper are disappearing then I suppose they will continue to make changes to ensure sure the club can survive.

My Unit
    Double Dutch Kip Caravan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,128 Posts

I'm still pondering whether or not to stop paying my C&CC membership. Last year I didn't use any of their sites, CLs or THSs. Add to that the way the booking and pricing procedure has changed, and yes, I wonder if it's worth staying a member. I tend to like sites that are near the sea, a short walk to the beach, etc., rather than inland, so I tend to book a lot more private sites than C&CC sites, simply because they are nearer to the beach!

I can't afford the prices anyone charges for 'Glamping' - whether that be a tent, pod, cabin, shed or whatever, whether they be on the C&CC sites or private sites. In case you didn't know, the private sites are also doing the same, most now have a selection of luxury glamping holiday choices and the glamping craze is spreading.

My Unit
    Autosleeper Mezan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artoo0 View Post
    Just because the media's contrived nickname "glamping" has passed into common usage doesn't mean it's not camping.

It may not be the type of camping we'd personally choose (though in pre-van days we did once stay in one of these
    http://www.shielingholidays.co.uk/Shielings.html),
    but just how prescriptive can we be? Some would insist that camping can only be done in a tent and can't involve the use of any equipment or facility that you didn't bring yourself - preferably in a rucksack on your back!

If there's a demand from members, or people who may be persuaded to become members, then surely C&CC should be looking to meet that demand.

Getting the balance right is the difficult bit of course. If there are empty "pods" or glamping tents while a tenter or vanner can't get a suitable pitch, then the balance is wrong. But it's equally wrong if potential "glampers" are being turned away while basic grass pitches lie empty just in case a "real" camper might want one. They'll never get it precisely right of course

We've never yet failed to get the type of pitch we wanted on a C&CC Club site, either for a tent or a van, though we rarely use them in High Season and usually want EHU since we got the van.
    Exactley ! Hear Hear !

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,651 Posts

The number of people wanting to stay in Grate Britain will probably have increased with the demise of the more usual holiday destinations such as Egypt, Tunisia, Greece, Italy. These people are the type who would go glamping instead of suffering the traumas of a 2 hour wait at an airport you can only park at if you are rich, and then sitting for a few hours with your knees in your chin, only to find yourself in a dodgy place with malevolent inhabitants. So there is bound to be an increased demand for holidays 'at home'.
    I would be surprised if the bosses at C&CC are not on a bonus escalating as the profit increases. Are they supposed to be a non profit organisation? If so, what constitutes profit? Income minus costs minus staff wages (which will include bosses bonuses)? In that case the bosses must make sure they don't make any profit. So the excess income over expenditure must go into their wages, otherwise they would be in default of their non profit status. So they are at liberty to increase their income in order to prevent the club making a profit. They also could be a charity, where 5p in the pound collected gets as far as the good cause.
    I imagine myself rolling up at a site and seeing no pitch available, going into reception and asking if I can park my motorhome in one of those empty tents please.
    There's no such bother with 'wild' camping, you just drive round till you find a nice bit of scenery, and park.
    I have no view on whether these tents are good or bad, as I have only just joined the C&CC. We'll see what happens this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast