Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to identify the age of C15 Cabins/Pods.

My Unit
    Currently a Conway Excel Folding Camper
    Thanks

Hi Caz.

My, you made that look gorgeous, just with pillows and tie backs. Oh dear, that sounded a bit camp, sorry! The simple personal touch really makes the interior stand out. And the white topped Flavel Vanessa cooker concurs that indeed your pod was pre-1992. The system works, lol!

Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

My Unit
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,364 Posts

Thank you. I know it was genuine because I had a 3 inch thick folder with all the documentation, service history, old MOTs etc in. It was a great little van and in some ways I regretted trading it in as it was in very good nick. I'd only had the underneath undersealed a couple of months before and I got peanuts in p/x. I just hope it found a good home and didn't just take a one way trip somewhere.

PS I didn't like the old upholstery and usually covered it in dark pink fleece blankets to match the cushions.

My Unit
    Demountable on 2003 Suzuki Carry
    Thanks

Did the interior upholstery of the camping unit go through changes as time went on, or did it stay fairly standard througout the whole production time?

Where there upgrade options with this too?

My Unit
    Thanks

Hi DD. From what I noticed, the upholstery got slightly more, um, flamboyant, as the years progressed. It seems early ones were greys and blues and possibly browns? As the years went on, I saw brighter reds and then even pinks come in. It sems that once the surface mounted cooker came in, pink(ish) was a very popular colour. You might call it red, I suppose. Someone will know the colour's proper name. Sometimes even the vehicle seats were covered in the same material, it seems.

Don't get me started on dating by upholstery, lol!

Panda

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandabloke For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Default Just when you thought it was safe to buy a C15......

And just to confuse an almost decided issue, here is a real anomaly.

Everything seems right about this C15 Hylo, except the upholstery. The soft furnishings seem earlier than a 1995 model, but the cooker appears correct. I am leaning towards it being ok, but as far as I can recall, I have only ever seen this dull upholstery (sorry, owners of the same cushions), on 1994 models and earlier.

I've asked the appropriate questions of the advertiser.

Thoughts/comments. Ant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-c1...kAAOSwhQhY5l~y

A very tempted Panda.....
    Last edited by Pandabloke; 19-06-2017 at 03:33 AM.

My Unit
    Thanks

Oh and many apologies for resurrecting this old thread. But the more I search for a replacement for Henrietta, the more I sort of want Henrietta.

I think we all know where this is going.......

'Panda, come forward, the price is right!'

And I said I wouldn't buy another C15.....

An almost decided Panda.

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,354 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabloke View Post
    Oh and many apologies for resurrecting this old thread. But the more I search for a replacement for Henrietta, the more I sort of want Henrietta.

I think we all know where this is going.......

'Panda, come forward, the price is right!'

And I said I wouldn't buy another C15.....

An almost decided Panda.

There's a couple of reasonably priced Hylos advertised for private sale on our website..

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/1992...-c15-hylo.html

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/1993...-c15-hylo.html

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Outlook Duo
    Thanks

So long as the job has been done properly is having an old body on a newer base vehicle really such a problem?

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jondxxx View Post
    So long as the job has been done properly is having an old body on a newer base vehicle really such a problem?
    Hi there. According to Ant, the pods were never designed to be lifted on and off and transfered to another vehicle. Also, C15 Romahomes were all built on chasis/cab units and it seems that most of the transfering of pods is done on to van chassis's which have a smaller load capacity than the chassis/cab units. And most later vans did not come with power steering, whereas most Romahomes did.

Panda
    Last edited by Pandabloke; 19-06-2017 at 05:28 PM.

My Unit
    1988 C15D Romahome Hylo
    Thanks

I wanted to narrow it down even more, really just as an exercise. So I did and here are my findings.

Flavel Vanessa cooker (white cooking surface) used up to and including aproximately 1991 on a J reg.

Flavel Vanessa cooker (beige cooking surface) used aproximately 1992 on a K reg until 1994 on an M reg.

Surface mounted cooker used aproximately from 1995 on an M reg to end of run, according to Ant, about 2002.
    Without wishing to throw a spanner in the works, my recently-acquired early Hylo (1989) has a beige Vanessa, and appears to be original...
    Did beige and white run side-by-side?

My Unit
    Thanks

Ha ha, now I only compiled my list via pictures, as accurately as was reasonable, so I can't really comment. But as I said, there are bound to be some anomalies. Maybe yours was replaced under warranty or something similar?

From looking at the cookers, it seems at first glance that white and beige Flavel Vanessas could be interchangeable?

Panda.

My Unit
    Thanks

And just to confuse an almost decided issue, here is a real anomaly.

Everything seems right about this C15 Hylo, except the upholstery. The soft furnishings seem earlier than a 1995 model, but the cooker appears correct. I am leaning towards it being ok, but as far as I can recall, I have only ever seen this dull upholstery (sorry, owners of the same cushions), on 1994 models and earlier.

I've asked the appropriate questions of the advertiser.

Thoughts/comments. Ant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-c1...kAAOSwhQhY5l~y

A very tempted Panda.....
    Well, I tried to view this yesterday. I went to the address on the advert and it was a small compound on a back street industrial estate. There were several campers on display, probably about a dozen. Problem is, the place was all locked up. No one about, no opening times, nothing. Also, despite being told by the vendor that I wouldn't find a better C15, the front bumper appeared to be hanging off......

I always try and visit 'business' sellers ad hoc, without making arrangements. My theory is that you're either running a full time professional business selling campers, or you're not. If they're not there, then in my opinion, it's not a professional business. I went at 3.30pm and it was all locked up. No signage of opening times, but campers displayed as if for sale. Sometimes you just that feeling.......

I didn't have a wasted journey as I specifically went down there to view a Stimson at another place.

Panda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12