Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Senior Citizen going Solo

My Unit
    Romini caravan + Gentry car
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,727 Posts

Just been messing about trying to find the road that gave me such a fright as mentioned above.
    I found the ruined abbey - Byland Abbey - and followed the road in "Street View" to a village called "Wass". Where it seems the main road turns sharp right, but I carried straight on.
    There are a lot of road signs prohibiting lorries and ALL traffic in icy conditions. I must have missed the lot! though there is no gradient sign.
    Looking also at the main road up Sutton Bank where caravans are banned. It looks nothing like as scary as the road I had found. If I had had to pull up for oncoming traffic I reckon I would still be there!
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

My Unit
    Thanks

Just been messing about with Google Earth to find the scary road/lane I mentioned above.
    I managed to find the (impressive) ruined abbey I mentioned. It turned out to be Byland Abbey. Following the road from there led me to a village called "Wass". There the main road does a sharp right turn and I carried straight on. There are signs prohibiting lorries and traffic in wintry conditions but no gradient or narrow road signs.
    I must have missed the lot!!
    Jim.

My Unit
    Fiat Doblo Mini Tour
    Thanks

I've just had a look at the road on Street View - it looks pretty scary to me. No passing places to be seen. It must have been a relief to get off it.
    Claire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CVJ For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Gobur Carousel 10/2 Slimline 1990, Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twolitre View Post
    Just been messing about with Google Earth to find the scary road/lane I mentioned above.
    I managed to find the (impressive) ruined abbey I mentioned. It turned out to be Byland Abbey. Following the road from there led me to a village called "Wass". There the main road does a sharp right turn and I carried straight on. There are signs prohibiting lorries and traffic in wintry conditions but no gradient or narrow road signs.
    I must have missed the lot!!
    Jim.
    Makes mental note: if touring in this area in the future avoid Wass. I shall use some Somerset phraseology as a mnemonic: 'Wass that gert big 'ill doin' there? or as Adge Cutler would have said 'Thee's gotten where thee cassn't back'n, asn't?
    Cynthia.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CyberCynth For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

It seems that i found another road only a little to one side of the same escarpment as Sutton Bank and perhaps even more vicious and much narrower.
    Jim.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Rapido 640
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,649 Posts

Wassa madda Jim? The TT bikes would be doing 120mph up there.
    My first endeavour to follow you on Street View gave me a route via Dover and Calais to Holland and takes 9 hours and 8 minutes in current traffic conditions.
    Then I realised I had one too many A's and one too few S's.
    The one you took to Mass looks very nice, a wide open lane. Or at least, enough room with no hedges each side. One lane we went down earlier this year was so narrow the hedges each side pushed our door mirrors back into the doors. That's the sort of thing that makes you wish you had a panel van conversion rather than a coachbuilt. Then you think well I had better go and get one of those SatNavs that you can put your vehicle dimensions in thus avoiding narrow lanes.
    So I went to Halfords and got a U2 SatNav.
    I'll have to return it though, because I Still Can't Find What I'm Looking For, and The Streets Have No Name.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gasgas For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    Wassa madda Jim? The TT bikes would be doing 120mph up there.
    My first endeavour to follow you on Street View gave me a route via Dover and Calais to Holland and takes 9 hours and 8 minutes in current traffic conditions.
    Then I realised I had one too many A's and one too few S's.
    The one you took to Mass looks very nice, a wide open lane. Or at least, enough room with no hedges each side. One lane we went down earlier this year was so narrow the hedges each side pushed our door mirrors back into the doors. That's the sort of thing that makes you wish you had a panel van conversion rather than a coachbuilt. Then you think well I had better go and get one of those SatNavs that you can put your vehicle dimensions in thus avoiding narrow lanes.
    I'll have to return it though, because I Still Can't Find What I'm Looking For, and The Streets Have No Name.
    Seems to me you were further off track than I was. I never got within 300 miles of Dover. Never mind Calais!

Jim.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Twolitre For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome C15 Hy/lo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    lol.....I have a Bon Jovi Sat Nav: no matter how far I drive it just keeps telling me I'm halfway there. (I'll get me coat lol)
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Thanks

in England I tend to pay for campsite if alone...in Scotland much easier to find a good place whether alone or not. I have a few places in my "wild camp memory" ie in my mind...where I am happy to camp alone and feel safe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123