Thread: **NEW** optional mobile style version

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,262 Times in 1,557 Posts

Default **NEW** optional mobile style version

I've just finished working on a mobile friendly style of the forum.

This style is optional and you can choose to use it by going to the very bottom of the forum on the left and selecting "default mobile style" you can also set your preference in your member settings.

If you have a modern mobile it may well detect that you are on mobile and automatically serve you the mobile style, you can simply revert back to the 'normal' view of the forum by choosing "full site", if you prefer that view.

Massive thank you to Glen who has been trialling this for me during the week.

The style is not perfect and we have found a few issues but hopefully the ease of use will outweigh these. The main things we have found are:

There is no option to "mark forums read"
    You cannot add photos via the mobile style, you must do it via the main site - unless you are hosting photos elsewhere.
    Photo attachments do not show in posts on the mobile style unless they are posted as 'inline'

This style means you don't have to join any other sites such as forum runner.

Let us know of any issues and we will do our best to solve them

Happy surfing!

PS Sorry the divider bars had to be blue, despite my best efforts I couldn't easily make them green, so gave up
    Last edited by Pauline; 16-10-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: my spelling!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauline For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    compass liberte 17/5- a tin tent again:)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 704 Posts

Thanks for sorting this option Pauline, I have now dropped forumrunner completely as I think this is easier to use and more stable. I am able to post photos via Photobucket, it is a little more time consuming than before but not an issue. The only other function I have noted by its absence is the ability to 'thank' posts, so apologies in advance to anyone who posts a useful reply to my posts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    PS Sorry the divider bars had to be blue, despite my best efforts I couldn't easily make them green, so gave up
    I have already found a fail safe work around for this issue too

4. The Following User Says Thank You to glenw For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Lol Glen, don't forget to take them off or the kids will look like green aliens!
    If forgotten about the thanks button, shame it isn't an option.
    So here's a real one.... thanks!

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,822 Posts

Looks good Pauline, thanks for all the hard work. I just opened the browser via the forum runner button and it opened automatically On the mobile site, very handy.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Looks good Pauline, thanks for all the hard work. I just opened the browser via the forum runner button and it opened automatically On the mobile site, very handy.
    That's interesting to know, thanks Rob.

Glad you like it I've been tweaking the message that appears when you are not logged in, it seemed too big for the mobile version but it is possible to show different messages for different styles so I customised just that one accordingly, I also added the 'log in' and 'full site' options to the top, as it seemed a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom to find them. (to me anyway!)

My Unit
    Trigano Oceane 240 Trailer Tent
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,822 Posts

That's interesting to know, thanks Rob.

Glad you like it I've been tweaking the message that appears when you are not logged in, it seemed too big for the mobile version but it is possible to show different messages for different styles so I customised just that one accordingly, I also added the 'log in' and 'full site' options to the top, as it seemed a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom to find them. (to me anyway!)
    The style is common to a Coventry City forum I use which has the "thank" function so it must be possible
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

My Unit
    Home-Car XS22
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 736 Posts

Default Quick Links?

Maybe I was looking but not seeing ... but I couldn't find the Quick Links shortcut on the new version. I always go first to Today's Posts to find out what is going on. Perhaps I just failed to spot it?

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroch View Post
    Maybe I was looking but not seeing ... but I couldn't find the Quick Links shortcut on the new version. I always go first to Today's Posts to find out what is going on. Perhaps I just failed to spot it?
    Scroll down to the very, very bottom of the forum Mike, then just above the copyright stuff you will see a thick green bar, it's in the left of that. Here is a screen shot.

Attachment 7397

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauline For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    compass liberte 17/5- a tin tent again:)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 704 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroch View Post
    Just below the forum name banner, to the right of the screen is a square icon with smaller squares in it. Clicking it will open a menu with one of the options being 'what's new'

13. The Following User Says Thank You to glenw For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Sorry Mike, I misunderstood what you meant,

thanks Glen for answering

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauline For This Useful Post:

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 869 Posts

If you have a modern mobile it may well detect that you are on mobile and automatically serve you the mobile style, you can simply revert back to the 'normal' view of the forum by choosing "full site", if you prefer that view.
    Hi Pauline

This is happening to me and doesn't seem to be "optional", at least not on a permanent basis.

I have chosen "SM fluid style" in settings, but still have to manually change to "full site" every time I access the site.

One other thing, changing the view also appears to disable my bookmark. If I stay in mobile view and leave the site then the bookmark still works.

Any suggestions?
    Geoff

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artoo0 View Post
    Hi Pauline

This is happening to me and doesn't seem to be "optional", at least not on a permanent basis.

I have chosen "SM fluid style" in settings, but still have to manually change to "full site" every time I access the site.

One other thing, changing the view also appears to disable my bookmark. If I stay in mobile view and leave the site then the bookmark still works.

Any suggestions?
    I don't think you can permanently opt to see the full site when on mobile, but to help with this I did put a clickable link right at the top of the mobile version (rather than having to scroll down to the bottom) so that it is just one click to view the full site.

The bookmark, not sure I fully understand what you mean there but I guess that the book mark for full site will have a different url to the one for mobile so maybe you would need to add them both?

Hope that helps

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

I'm not saying this will work Artoo0 but try using this as your bookmark, http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru....php?styleid=6

hopefully it will override the auto serve of the mobile style, but then again it might not

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

I've just tested it and it works for me.

but the link above has been shortened so this is it without the www. bit at the start so it will show you the whole of the text: smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/index.php?styleid=6

My Unit
    Romahome R20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 869 Posts

I'm not saying this will work Artoo0 but try using this as your bookmark, http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru....php?styleid=6

hopefully it will override the auto serve of the mobile style, but then again it might not
    Success!

That works just fine Pauline. Many thanks.
    Geoff

My Unit
    Romahome R30
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artoo0 View Post
    Success!

That works just fine Pauline. Many thanks.
    Wonderful! You are welcome, glad to be of service